Cons - Mirrors

Am currently running the OEM stock mirrors (old picture)

And I was thinking about going this route eventually, because for whatever reason, I like the look of these type of mirrors better than my current ones. I won't get these exact mirrors, but I'll probably end up shelling out bucks for the OEM chrome Jeep ones w/ all the mounting bracketry etc.

ksource-3531B.jpg

Now, aside from making the truck look like it has "wings", and being made fun of for having them; can anyone tell me if there are any serious cons to these mirrors?

Aside from the obvious "I will have to drill holes in the door, water can leak inside from the mounting holes, they're fugly, etc etc" what are your opinions on them?

if you were closer I would swap ya doors. Mine had those originally and now I have the ugly threaded holes on the doors but all the mounting brackets are built in just as Pete said.

So then mounting that style of mirror would be a no go? Since the brackets aren't inside my door?

you can certainly instal them. I'm just saying that there might be a reason why the factory re-enforced them. or it might not matter. :dunno: hopefully someone out there has done what you're contemplating and can chime in.

I did just that on an old truck but mine but were cheap-o mirrors from a clearance cart at an auto parts store. I didn't add any additional support inside the doors and I hated them. At speed, the mirrors would vibrate back and forth on the door skin making a hellacious noise that would come and go. On one hand, it wasn't so bad because very rarely were the doors even on in the summer. On the other, the mounts for the original mirrors were in terrible shape that they would randomly fall off around corners and over bumps.

if you were closer I would swap ya doors. Mine had those originally and now I have the ugly threaded holes on the doors but all the mounting brackets are built in just as Pete said.

So then mounting that style of mirror would be a no go? Since the brackets aren't inside my door?

You could but I personally wouldnt. I would imagine they would vibrate so much ya wouldnt be able to see anything in them anyway.

On the other hand, if your handy with a welder ya could always fabricate your own braces. Lot of work for just mirrors though IMO.

There is only one bracket per side listed in the '90 parts manual and they appear to be rivited in place.

Well, yes there is "only" one bracket per door ... but look at it. The one bracket runs the full height of the door and has reinforced mounting plates welded onto it. It's a lot more than just putting a small piece of angle inside the door skin at each mirror mount.

The purpose, obviously, is to keep the mirrors rigidly in place. If you mount them just to the door skin, they'll move all over the place as the skin flexes.

There is only one bracket per side listed in the '90 parts manual and they appear to be rivited in place.

Well, yes there is "only" one bracket per door ... but look at it. The one bracket runs the full height of the door and has reinforced mounting plates welded onto it. It's a lot more than just putting a small piece of angle inside the door skin at each mirror mount.

The purpose, obviously, is to keep the mirrors rigidly in place. If you mount them just to the door skin, they'll move all over the place as the skin flexes.

Interesting. Probably going to second guess doing this then. Still, it's always nice to learn something new.

• 4 weeks later...

Where can I find a company that sells the door skins with the attached brackets?

The skin has nothing to do with the mirror brackets. The brackets are part of the internal door structure.

OK. Where can I purchase the brackets?

My doors are rusting at the inside bottom, where the skin folds over.

Would old bracket come out and put into a replacement door?

Tim

hmm, not so sure you can buy just the brackets. From that exploded diagram it appears that they may just bolt in and are removable. so maybe ya can get lucky and find a metric ton in a jy. I've never looked at mine close enough though. I'm sure somebody will chime in.

While we're on the topic, I will have a pair of rust free doors with those factory mirror mounts that I will be getting rid of in the near future when I swap my doors out for full power. If anybody is interested and really wants that style mirrors, let me know.