getting donor doors tomorrow, need advice

ok so I'm heading to the pick n pull tomorrow to get my new doors and possibly a rocker panel

i would like to find out the year that would bolt right in...i guess a 92 huh?

I'm thinking about a little upgrade though.

there is a ton of cherokee donors there so the pickins a plentiful

I'm not looking for heated mirrors or anything, just maybe power windows, i liked the little window.......

...i forget what its called now....

the triangle window that opens in the door

huh...brain fart....sorry

and also how hard is it to hook up a power windowed door?

i like to call them......leakers

:agree: That's what they're for -- to let water into the cabin.

Somewhere around '94 pr '95 they changed the type of strike on the door jamb, and the height of the strike in the door. I've never known exactly what year that happened. Quick check -- if the latch uses a single post like on your '88, you're good to go. If the latch on the jamb is brass colored and U-shaped -- it probably is at a different height than yours and won't be a direct replacement.

I had those butterfly windows on my 93XJ which was the last year they made them I think because neither of my 94s had them. I loved them and didn't have a problem with them, however all the windows I have seen at the junk yard have been rusted/rotted.

Ok so

What year cherokee will fit my 92 comanche?

It appears very safe to say '86 thru '94 XJ, and probably through '96. Look at where the latch is on your doors (vertically). As long as the donor doors have the latch in the same (vertical) position, you're good to go.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24307&p=249400&hilit=door+strike+latch#p249400

thanks. i havent got out there yet because of the weather. it looks like a little work to get a door off.

If possible, get into the kick panel areas beside the footwells and unplug the speaker wires and (if electric) the window and lock wiring. The biggest thing to remember is that a complete door assembly is HEAVY. Either prop up the back end of it while you remove the six torx screws, or bring a husky friend to help you wrestle with it.

• 1 month later...

The biggest thing to remember is that a complete door assembly is HEAVY.

No kidding I got a pass door from the JY today and was dumb enough to not bring a wheelbarrow.....and the jeep section is in the back corner of the JY :doh:

thanks. i havent got out there yet because of the weather. it looks like a little work to get a door off.

If possible, get into the kick panel areas beside the footwells and unplug the speaker wires and (if electric) the window and lock wiring. The biggest thing to remember is that a complete door assembly is HEAVY. Either prop up the back end of it while you remove the six torx screws, or bring a husky friend to help you wrestle with it.

I find it easiest to remove the two bolts closest to the inside with the door open and then remove the remaining four with the door closed through the hinge access holes.(This requires the fenders to be removed.) Then you just grab the door handle, the front edge of the door, press the door latch button, and walk off! Also best to have the window rolled down to avoid accidents.