1986 MJ 2.5L 4x4 | "Heavy Four"

I was able to re-finish the stock fuel tank and get it installed with new tank straps. Of course, once I got it installed and dumped 5 gallons of fuel in there it decided to leak. Leak is coming from the bottom half of the tank behind a strap. Guess the rust was too much. At least I didn't buy anything for it. Time to buy a new tank.

IMAG0365.jpg.ead93cbf78ead81a657198fd2f7af58c.jpg

I also got the bell housing test fitted with the bolts I bought. Fit like a glove.

IMAG0366.thumb.jpg.59416107471d0b8d6138732396e741c3.jpg

Apparently I need to figure out what size bolts hold the CPS in place as now have two zip-ties holding it in place.

And the good news. I turned the key on and off several times to let the fuel pump get gas to the motor. This little 2.5 hasn't been run since 2004 and I was expecting the worst. Instead, this is what happened:

Yeah buddy! Even with an open header it was running darned smooth.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's getting closer. Replaced the rear main and oil pan gasket. Then I took the flywheel to town and had it resurfaced and installed the pilot bearing followed by the clutch disk a pressure plate.

IMAG0408.thumb.jpg.643069f0e5509df5816d94658bdf8f8b.jpg

It turns out somebody did some parts swapping on me. I have the wrong bell housing and slave cylinder. I have the proper external slave parts on the way. Then the transmission will be raised into position.

My AutoZone budget boost came in the mail.

- 2" Chevy drop shackles

- 1.75" coil spacers

IMAG0398.jpg.7d505664a2ff7f9e483c3b10ef88c261.jpg

IMAG0399.thumb.jpg.a476ec6889ae9394a40520298bdd27f3.jpg

I went ahead and installed BB and replaced the control arms with a low mileage set of stockers with good bushings.

IMAG0406.jpg.f5c42b27c0e1a4fd8daf4f0e1d926287.jpg

Control arm mount trimmed. I ended up removing the stock isolator pads and only using the lift spacers up front. It sits about perfect now. With this set up, I gained about 1.75" out back and 1.25" up front. The rear leaf springs are sagged quite a bit.

IMAG0411.thumb.jpg.762d2c7c688d07f291c884debf567ae6.jpg

IMAG0410.jpg.d56f8d19501507f292d46f37b7854fde.jpg

Looking good, I need to do my clutch as well,

Why did you trim the lca mounts ?

Thanks! At 165k miles, my clutch was pretty well worn.

it allows for the axle to droop more before the LCA hits the mount

Exactly. Plus it made getting the spacers in easier without a spring compressor. Granted it would have been easier to just leave LCA out when installing the spacer..... umn.gif

Well, July 1st came and went and the truck still doesn't move under its own power. I have been held back by high heat, a long work schedule and a slew of parts that simply did not work on the truck or were wrong.

In the last week I have done the following:

- Ordered, received, painted and installed a new fuel tank. This one had better not leak....

- Installed the Monroe shocks I had on my 92 for a few months.

- I figured out the bell housing I bought was for a late model AX5. I will be running the clutch system for a 95XJ. External slave, goofy plastic hydraulic line and master. I replaced the throwout bearing with a new Mopar left over from my Rubi. Finally the transmission and transfer cases was raised into position and bolted to the 2.5l. Still waiting on the hydraulic line from Napa.

- Started in on the front brakes. Picked up brake pads and cleaned up the rotors. Realised both calipers are seized and need replaced. Also noticed the rubber lines were very worn. Have calipers and YJ rubber brake lines on the way. Trying to separate the rubber line from hard line was fun as 26 years of rust and crust had to break away from the fragile brake line. Some heat, a small fire and a couple pair of vice grips they are free.

- I noticed a needle zerk fitting on the front u-joint caps so I greased them.

- Replaced the busted driver side tail light.

- Installed AX5 shifter.

My plan for the next week to get this thing rolling:

- Finish brake work up front, bleed

- Install hydraulic clutch components, bleed

- Attempt to install and adjust 4wd linkage

- New u-joints for front and rear drive shafts

- Attempt to install missing exhaust pieces

- New fluids all around (D30, D35, 2.5L, AX5, 207)

- Check torque on all nuts and bolts

I have been held back by high heat, a long work schedule and a slew of parts that simply did not work on the truck or were wrong.

I know that feeling all too well. Only a matter of time until this thing is driveable. :thumbsup: By the way, how's that fabric dye holding up? Looks real slick for those of us cursed with the "Medium Blue" interior and are thinking of making it go away. :brows:

Red Rocker79 said:
I know that feeling all too well. Only a matter of time until this thing is driveable. :thumbsup: By the way, how's that fabric dye holding up? Looks real slick for those of us cursed with the "Medium Blue" interior and are thinking of making it go away. :brows:

Its getting close :clapping:

I haven't been able to really 'test' the fabric dye as I haven't spent much time in the cab. I have rubbed, bumped and sweated all over the driver side door panel and I haven't had any peeling or scraping of the dye. I have also had a few trim pieces that were dyed, in the bed, when I moved the truck to the new house and did not get scratched up. I need to finish spraying the dash some day....

tazer15 said:
Nice job Brett I havent been on in awhile really need to do some updating on Garretts truck I'm way behind on the build thread.You always do good work!I always wantd 4 cyl for a DD

Thanks Trevor! This truck may be a 'beater', but by golly it will be safe and reliable (at least in theory).

A few pictures of the progress:

The transmission installed. Now my engine bay looks 'normal' with the motor sitting level.

IMAG0439.thumb.jpg.7fab01789f798f544fc570de2549a7e3.jpg

IMAG0442.jpg.9e9ebc3268c2325262559aa8215ec0c8.jpg

My new clutch hydraulic system. I upgraded to a late model hydraulic system since the bell housing I bought had the slave on the driver side. The master, hydraulic line, and slave are for a '95 XJ. The hydraulic line is a weird flexible plastic material. My TJ has the same set up. Also, there is no bleeder valve at the slave. You must manually operate the slave piston while keeping the master full of brake fluid. I have great clutch feel now :thumbsup:

IMAG0436.thumb.jpg.78f6bc9385239363977b594ce2996dc9.jpg

IMAG0437.thumb.jpg.c4566f59355a31f4de9528a681acd594.jpg

Bolted the shifter in place. I need a new knob as this one pulls right off.

IMAG0447.thumb.jpg.a5203db6174e46a0fc7de1efee5fe095.jpg

YJ brake lines installed. I need to bend the hard line for shock clearance and better angles for the rubber line. When bleeding the brakes I noticed fluid dripping near the fuel tank. One of the rear brake lines had rusted through. So out it came along with that silly prop valve.

IMAG0441.thumb.jpg.260e33b7b9caa087cb855013758bc74c.jpg

IMAG0449.thumb.jpg.0771b03445372a1a832fc059ac2fcbc8.jpg

And of course, the 3rd coming of the fuel tank.

IMAG0438.jpg.187eaf0e90e261061a9e9bae5e28ac07.jpg

I've got two drive shafts as well as a whole bunch of new fluids ready to go in the garage.

Thanks for the comments and encouragement. I am hopeful that the trans and tcase are in good working condition....

Rob, thanks for the tip on the shift knob. I had just figured I would be getting some crappy replacement.

Hey Brett, great work as always. I was hoping to meet you in KC when I'm there next month, but I'm glad you have a new job and have found a house and are settled in Junction City. Can't wait to see both projects driveable soon. Good luck and thanks for the inspiration.

Buck.

She is smooth to 55mph...... :thumbsup:

IMAG0455.jpg.e7f562edf35cbbc0aaae32c1735e4fbb.jpg

IMAG0456.jpg.5cacca7568db2155de8363b515e704cb.jpg

With no seatbelts and spongy brakes, I didn't try for any more. Now its time to tackle the long list of small stuff to be done.

Buck, if you are looking for a road trip, JC is less than 2 hrs from KC! We really enjoy being out of the big city and in our own place in the country.

First order of business:

IMAG0457.jpg.593f4015b0489c1577a5879b9a5fca0c.jpg

Mike, thanks for the complement. It was great to actually drive an MJ for the first time in 2 years, even if it was just up and down the road.

I fought with an exhaust clamp/splice all night last night. When ever the transmission was pulled, they cut the down pipe right before the cat. I did my best to splice it together so I can stand to drive it to the muffler shop. I also noticed the cat was gutted out.

This evening I worked with the interior, I hate doing interior work. I pulled the seats and console then started fitting the 99 XJ agate carpet in the cab. Since I decided to be creative and push the seat as far back as possible, this resulted in the XJ seat braces to be installed further back than stock and then not allowing the carpet to fit right or where it is supposed to. Once I got the carpet fitted and trimmed down to size I mounted the lower rocker trim pieces, installed the inner shifter boot and got one B-pillar light to kick on :rotfl2: You can can also see my center console mount.

IMAG0459.jpg.6f1a362f0a0cbf55c0dedec882c8a9de.jpg

I really need to source some new seatbelts. In the meantime, I will affix the stock bench belt/buckle to the stiff 99 XJ support bracket so they don't fall down next to the console all the time.

I got the carpet pretty darn close to perfect, seats installed and the center console installed. Then the dog jumped in the bed and wanted to go for a ride. So we did a 15 mile loop on the gravel roads out here. The truck ran great. Driving this 2.5 kind of reminds me of driving my old 4.2 YJ with 3.07 gears.

Then I upgraded the headlights.

IPF Housings and 55w H4 HID kit

IMAG0460.jpg.383d7ec8640d6b7d053e3c1ddc33c7a6.jpg

Installed the driver side ballast:

IMAG0464.thumb.jpg.cdb782b205fe27a26d9b81ee6c87a28e.jpg

And the passenger side ballast and the HID relay box:

IMAG0466.thumb.jpg.0d56aa0cc2301325f7f0a7de2ca66ec5.jpg

HID bulb fitted into IPF housing:

IMAG0462.jpg.c0256fbf486207e967c9a1d524123e59.jpg

Testing:

IMAG0470.jpg.dc3556a3f9052a395e4aaeab197f7195.jpg

Light pattern:

IMAG0471.jpg.fe1424787adfdef6016bcd79384ca322.jpg

BMXstreet6 said:
where did you buy the lights and HIDs from? I been looking but couldnt find anything good enough.

I bought these from Skinny Pedal a few years back. I have no idea if he still sells them or not. The 'kit' included two IPF housings and a VVME H4 HID kit. I speculate you can find everything on e-bay or amazon.

The dreaded Medium Blue keeps disappearing!

IMAG0478.jpg.b044f06084ae643c9076e406c2a46623.jpg

IMAG0480.jpg.437ebe2c87685e6346c8c5fb76c7968c.jpg

I did not like the excessive forward rake the truck had once I pulled the topper, so I installed the 1/2" isolators that came with the coil spacers.

IMAG0476.jpg.89cb84ca2be12b2ecb308b4bbd38e9ed.jpg

IMAG0473.jpg.28adefd01fcfbc6b3a0fb799f089a3ba.jpg

Pulled the plastic bedliner today as well. I am pretty sure it has been in the bed since the truck was new. The paint underneath still had a metallic sheen to it, LIKE NEW! No picture of the bed floor :thwak:

I found my old Unidien 520 XL CB and took the antenna/mount my father removed from his Rubi then went to Radio Shack and picked up 20' of antenna cable. Why 20' for the tiny MJ? Less tuning required to make the SWR meter happy. I hope to get it installed this week.

Red Rocker79 said:
Looks good! I bet it'd fool a few of those guys with the "real" OEM black interior too. ;)

Thanks. It turned out much better than I expected. It really does look factory and the door panels/sill guards are doing great even with my feet getting drug in and out of the truck. Now I just need to clean the rest of the dash :yes:

I had big hopes of getting the truck registered and licenced today, but our insurance lady is out of town until Wednesday. Dang the luck. I am ready to let the 2.5L horses run down interstate :rotfl2:

I was browsing through several weeks of Facebook updates this evening (who has the time to keep up with that???) and stumbled across a picture my wife took around 1AM when a buddy and myself were installing the transmission. I thought it looked pretty cool, so I am sharing it here:

425095_10100620037392061_1890069936_n.jpg.0db5ff4ba48445f71cb07b9a09eeac09.jpg

Why is it that the later it gets, the more crap accumulates on the floor?

• 1 month later...

:fs1:

Rust bit me in the butt once again. Since the truck was purchased out of state, Kansas requires a VIN inspection by the Highway patrol to make sure its not stolen before you can register it. The process is really simple, law enforcement officer compares the VIN on the title to two on the vehicle and plugs it in a computer. I had planned on doing this Friday afternoon and took off work. I get home and back the truck out of the garage into the rain (a welcome relief) and hit the wipers. Nothing, they don't move, they don't whine, they don't click. I pull it back into the garage and start investigating.

I can't find a fuse for the wipers, so I pull and inspect all of them, which are all good. I pull the cowl and start fussing the the wire harness and linkage with no success. I start tearing the dash and steering column apart to trace the wires. I find the delay module which seems to be firmly plugged in and in good shape. I trace the harness to a silver device on the bottom of the fuse block. I fire up Google and discover the wipers are controlled by a circuit breaker that trips and resets itself. Pulled the breaker and the contact blades were rusted! I scraped and sanded them and plugged the breaker back in. PRESTO, the wipers work.....and they have a delay setting! :oops: Since it was too late to go in town for the inspection, I finished the afternoon off by cutting floor mats and getting the radio to work. Maybe Monday morning.