1986 MJ 2.5L 4x4 | "Heavy Four"

Finally, after two years, I am behind the wheel of an MJ again :) 

IMAG0661.thumb.jpg.68354025dc7d1e7e1f71c66e060f1eb7.jpg

The little 2.5 is taking a bit of getting used to. I have grown accustomed to starting out in 2nd or 3rd gear in my Rubi with 5.13's. But the 2.5 will hold a steady 55mph through the flint hills here in KS. The more I drive it, the more I grow fond of the little 2.5 :D

I finally got my 4wd linkage, driveshaft and CAD squared away. I was having one heck of a time trying to fit the typical body-to-transmission t-case linkage in this truck. As it turns out, the AX5 in this truck has a mount built in to the case of the transmission that holds a simple lever that connects the shifter to the transfer case. It is a much better design than what I am uses to dealing with. With the linkage issue resolved and adjusted, I installed the driveshaft only to remain in 2wd (typical CAD). So I did the ol' pull the actuator, slide the shift collar to the left and reinstall the actuator upside down with plugged vacuum lines CAD lock. Boy howdy, the NP207 sure whines like a mid 60s one ton pickup when in low range.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I plan on taking this truck to the local Jeep Jamboree next month so I need to get a few items taken care of.

First I had to get a CB installed. What fun is trail running without communication?

Old Uniden out of my TJ:

IMAG0677.thumb.jpg.12c48bfe581e1e3775c016433bb06918.jpg

Old antenna and mount from my fathers TJ:

IMAG0675.thumb.jpg.d517a1dcd2695db7207ea604c4031d9b.jpg

Ran the Coax through the bed and into the cab near the fuel pump harness. 20' of Coax was about 2' too long, but I wrapped it behind the passenger seat to prevent loops:

IMAG0676.thumb.jpg.179bdd2ff2d55376bf912d754b286012.jpg

Then I installed an old set of JKS disconnects I had laying around.....and tested her out in the back yard:

IMAG0672.jpg.2459fba7c025f24bf6c4b2e0933ccee1.jpg

IMAG0667.jpg.3a2c539caae47ce4b98a5640bb280e0f.jpg

IMAG0671.thumb.jpg.ad2c81b844cc56c1b943edd029b954ef.jpg

My shocks are a little short.....

Now I need to get an order placed for some front towhooks/brackets. Can't be without recovery points!

• 1 month later...

Ahhh! I finally got rid of the mismatched steel wheels. Helllllooooo Turbine:

IMAG0693-1-2.thumb.jpg.ea77f3eb0a53be66ff08941436630dfa.jpg

My wife also instructed me to go pick up some pasture rock for landscaping. I don't know how much weight it was, but the load was in front of the rear axle. The 2.5 didn't hesitate too much.

IMAG0695.jpg.fff2396a90bc6a2cc0e50286e040e5b5.jpg

I did discover a crack in the NP207, thus it is leaking quite a bit. Plan is to replace it with a 231. While rounding up the appropriate parts to swap in a NP231 I will keep topping it off with fluid and hope it doesn't fall apart on the highway.

• 2 weeks later...

nice build. I think I may use alot of your build info to influence mine. namely the 2x4 1/4" wall tube steel for the rockers. My cb radio is a cobra 25 ltd classic so I cannot mount it like you did, but I already have a nice place planned for it. what size are those rims and what size tires are you running? I hate the base model stock steelies on the 2.5l along with the tiny as crap 205/55-r15 tires on it.

Thanks for the comments :) The build for this truck isn't real pretty, but its darn functional.

The tires are a 235/75R15 on a set of stock XJ/MJ Turbine wheels. I feel this is about as much tire as a stock 2.5 can handle while maintaining decent driveability. It will cruise down the highway at 75mph if I want to.

I finally upgraded to a 91+ aluminum valve cover and used a felpro permadry gasket for a 98 Dakota 2.5. Seemed to have stopped my oil leak completely. While I was digging around under the hood, I also took the time to pull out all of the CAD vacuum lines and replace several of the dry rotted rubber vacuum lines. Now my vent selector works in every position, every time.

And since I don't like to post without a picture, here is the truck in THE MIDDLE of our 20+ acre pond yesterday. It's a little dry.....

IMAG0709.jpg.a4bba05833cdf91703b9ae57be4e8df8.jpg

.....but I did have fun bombing through some of the mud holes.

• 2 weeks later...

Something a little rare showed up today for this little utility truck:

Yup, I got my grubby hands on an original Warn Hidden Winch set up. Some of you may recognize the packaging as this exact kit has been floating around the country for several years. This is NOT the factory hidden winch assembly that was available through Jeep. This was simply Warns rendition of the hidden winch mount (#22035) and has been discontinued for some time. Unlike the factory hidden winch, Warn designed an assembly that allows the winch to mount foot down.

And proof that I do care about you guys:

When I have time... I will scan the tracings and create a CAD file of the parts then build a replica :thumbsup: From my quick study of the pieces, the bulk of it seems to be cut from 3/16" C-Channel.

New member, first post.

I'd like to get on the list for the CAD file of this kit too. Actually, if you could scan the manual to a PDF (I didn't have any luck finding it online), that would be very much appreciated too!

I still plan on sharing the mount and documentation the club. However, since I bought the mount I have managed to move out of the city, break my scanner, let my AutoDesk license expire and started using satellite internet with restricted upload/download limits. The thought of drafting in SketchUp makes me sick to my stomach.

Like I said, when I have time I will get it digitized. I will even build a replica from the drawings.

I finally got the truck dropped off at the muffler shop. The shop is old school, has been around forever and is well known just as the bodyshop guy is doing the work on my 92.

Needless to say, I dropped it off to get everything from the head pipe back replaced. Opted out of using the catalytic converter as the TBI system isn't sensitive to it and the fact the existing converter was gutted by a previous owner. For a ridiculously cheap price, I got a new muffler and tailpipe installed.

IMAG0727.jpg.a871e8f297cb38e0629fc20ca00e43ea.jpg

IMAG0723.thumb.jpg.319445329b750a54829edb7bd4f0a866.jpg

IMAG0729.jpg.fe5f4f805df5d24c5720715ea24786e4.jpg

The little 2.5 has a nice rumble to it with this set up with absolutely no drone. Then again, ANYTHING would have been better than the wired up rusted pipe that was in there before.

The CAD (central axle disconnect) is a series of 4 vacuum lines and a vacuum operated actuator on the front axle that is part of the 4wd system. Usually after 20+ years the system doesn't work so folks bypass it.

The muffler is a cheap no name unit.

Shiny exhaust.... :thumbsup:

I need to get working on replacing my cruddy system. Nothing wrong with it ('cept for the manifold being rusty / almost pitted, but I like the rumble of a new muffler. :yes: )

• 1 month later...

The rain, then ice, then snow fell here this week. I was looking forward to playing rescue truck by assisting motorists who slid off of the county roads. My Jeeps always have a couple tow straps and D-Rings just for this reason. As I started my drive to town, I thought, 'Hey, this NP207 sure is quiet in 4-Hi today' just as the truck broke traction and started sliding around on me. It turns out it was NOT in 4wd. I immediately assumed my linkage had fallen out of adjustment and was simply not engaging the transfercase properly as I had preformed the 'slide collar and flip' CAD lock so I went back home. After several failed attempts at getting the truck to engage 4wd, I decided to inspect the CAD actuator housing; maybe the shift fork broke. I found that the shift fork was moving freely along with the actuator rod in the housing. The actuator motor was also full of gear oil which spurted everywhere when I operating the shift fork by hand.

It turns out that flipping the CAD actuator motor did not lock my axle shafts together for long. The motor worked its self loose and allowed the collar to slide back into the 'unlocked' position. To fix it, I slid the actuator rod all the way over, removed the c-clip holding the fork, slid the fork to the other side and re-installed the c-clip. This should keep the axle shafts locked together as the actuator motor is maxed out in one direction and the fork/c-clip will keep it from sliding in the other direction.

Now my NP207 is back to whining like a cat with its tail in a blender when in 4-hi.

• 3 weeks later...

This past weekend I took the Comanche out wheeling in the snow. Had a blast. However, I did manage to break traction while trying to climb a steep snowy/icy hill. Gravity overcame my truck and the poor truck slid backwards into a tree.

photo.thumb.jpg.9b5c08798593a0fda2b5bbfea0b491ed.jpg

Bumper was folded up preventing the tailgate from opening.

Then when I returned home:

IMAG0776.jpg.6c7f67dadee9c4d91646b5a10a75bbea.jpg

I did have my cable blanket over the cable when pulling.

There, its fixed:

IMAG0790.jpg.5bec1aea9a28662569ed71105d4d4d8d.jpg

No loss really. The bumper is a Fey and the bed is swiss cheese. Glad I didn't damage the tail light though :)

Regardless, it was a great day. The Comanche out wheeled the yota all day too! Don't tell anybody, but I thought the yota would run circles around me out there.

IMAG0774.jpg.ac858a1acc4ae9bded17ab735056784a.jpg

Looks good bud! You just need an OD rattle can paint job and you'll be looking bad @$$! All that truck needs is a paint job!

Now that I read this one start to finish its time to read your 92/99 build thread as well.

• 2 months later...

I am very glad I opted for the 2x4 rocker instead of the 2x6. It seems to work and flow very well with the body. Another nice thing about the 2x4 is that there will be less leverage on the rocker when you land on it compared to a 2x6 ;)

I am very glad I opted for the 2x4 rocker instead of the 2x6. It seems to work and flow very well with the body. Another nice thing about the 2x4 is that there will be less leverage on the rocker when you land on it compared to a 2x6 ;)

The only nice thing about the 2x6 is you get a little foot rest out there for when youre rinding doorless :thumbsup:

Now I just gotta find me some free 2x4 metal tubing, do you think you could get me a rough lenght by chance? Like a little bit larger?

On 3/25/2013 at 4:50 PM, Zack said:

On 3/25/2013 at 4:44 PM, 87Warrior said:

The only nice thing about the 2x6 is you get a little foot rest out there for when youre rinding doorless :thumbsup:

Now I just gotta find me some free 2x4 metal tubing, do you think you could get me a rough lenght by chance? Like a little bit larger?

I keep my legs inside my TJ when doorless. I have no desire to get hit with road gavel at 60 mph!!! :rotf: I will take a tape measure to it this evening.

On 3/25/2013 at 4:53 PM, xjrev10 said:

I am a raving fan of your truck!  :brows:

Thanks!!!! I love driving it around. Even the little 2.5 puts a smile on my face.

....and since I believe bumping with out an updated picture is bad karma, here is my newest mod:

IMAG6048-1.jpg.9ddba6576ed8c5f072a123ba50eca8f0.jpg

Supporting my alma mater and the local economy!

I keep my legs inside my TJ when doorless. I have no desire to get hit with road gavel at 60 mph!!! :rotf: I will take a tape measure to it this evening.

haha I don't have that kinda stance so I'm good there. And no rush, Id do it myself but I'm at school and my Mjs at home. So please don't think I'm being lazy haha