1986 MJ 2.5L 4x4 | "Heavy Four"

On 9/17/2014 at 11:41 AM, neohic said:

Sorry about the DW, but to be honest I had a nice giggle over this. :teehee:

Ha! That DW hit like a ton of bricks and was totally unexpected. My wife was trailing me in the Camry and said it looked like the front axle was falling out of the truck!

I installed the old RE1600 trackbar that was under my TJ for several years. Not wanting to drill out the frame side trackbar bracket, I elected to use a TRE. This TRE actually has just as much flexibility as the RE heim. We'll see how long it lasts. At the same time I replaced the frame side trackbar bracket with a later model bracket as the later years have a larger hole/taper that is considered to be standardized across the MJ/XJ platform. 

IMAG0082-1-1.jpg.dc402e626e2df007abe5c36359b21a7d.jpg

This stopped the DW, but the truck does still have a shimmy/wobble/shake between 45-55mph. I believe this is probably caused by bad tires being out of balance, a worn out drag link with 175k miles on it, and a poor alignment. Regardless, it will get properly aligned before getting new Cooper AT3's mounted.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After owning this truck for almost 3 years, I finally decided to fix three of its biggest annoyances.

1. Replaced the front output seal on the transfercase as it always left a pool of blood under the truck. I used a Timken seal that was designed much differently than the seal that was in there. Hopefully it is an improvement.

2. The shift knob. The stock knob would spin in circles and, sometimes, it would pull off of the shifter...not fun. Replaced it with a solid aluminum shifter from Rampage. Sure it was a little more expensive than a stock replacement, but it should never fail in the same way.

3. The Cessna yoke steering wheel had to go. Replaced it with an extra traditional 3 spoke I had laying around. This project isn't complete though as I still have to install the NAPA horn repair kit. Not a big deal since I can shout louder than the horn in this truck.

IMAG0085-1-1.jpg.995dcef27a533f9f3c968947a11e2ac7.jpg

A new headliner is on the way, so maybe I will finally get those A-pillar trim pieces installed.

The 8.8 also got new perches welded on and I have begun pulling apart leaf packs to give the truck a little boost. I will be coating each leaf in POR15 followed by Slip Plate then put together with grade 8 hardware.

Rebuilt leaf springs. Added an extra leaf by cutting the eyes off of an extra MJ main leaf. I coated each leaf in POR15 and Slip Plate and replaced the worn out anti-friction pads. I had to build new spring clamps as well.

IMAG0101-1.jpg.5bba3601c935ff6153cb6dddabc1e525.jpg

Oh hey, that sure is a funny looking Jeep axle... Got the 8.8 loosely under the truck. Still need to get the shock tabs welded to the housing. Using the Ruff Stuff kit let me position the axle 1" to the back which will allow me to use the stock driveshaft.

IMAG0103-1-1.jpg.82c82c928b98a44c30222a872a8f3763.jpg

The truck sits great with the AAL and larger 8.8 axle tube. Waiting for the spacers and brake parts to finish it up.

IMAG0094-1.jpg.2b4d41b8003ec4911364648c599210ae.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Parts finally started to roll in to get the rear end buttoned up. First up was the NAPA rotors and SpiderTrax spacers.

IMAG0113.thumb.jpg.c193b3e7ce10229fe627b06876b56211.jpg

Followed by loaded Centric calipers and Dorman hoses, all for a 1998 Explorer of course.

IMAG0116_1.jpg.69b33a34edfd54c8bfc99e814c604baf.jpg

I picked up set of gently used Bilstein 5125 shocks from Hornbrod intending to use them on my 92 build. They seemed too perfect for this truck so I elected to go ahead and use them.

I then ran into a snag with the lower shock mount. Very few folks swap in the 8.8 and keep it spring under. The small shock mounts that come with the 8.8 swap kits would effectively mount the shock 4" higher than stock. That is not acceptable to have any travel in the rear. I ended up modifying a TJ shock bracket that came with a MAD4x4 8.8 swap kit I never used.

IMAG0117.thumb.jpg.74602069d0aa535663fe4633776dfbd7.jpg

I really need to install a new bumpstop and reconfigure the brake line mounting.

I dropped her back on the ground, installed the front driveshaft and a new V8 ZJ draglink then went for a drive. The truck rode very smooth, the 8.8 was nice and quiet, and the brakes work phenomenally.

I love this truck. Every time you update this thread, the first thought in my head is always...

Understandably so!

Thanks for the complement. I am glad that someone beside myself is enjoying the build. My family thinks I am nuts for investing so much time and cash into this truck. I think it is worth every penny.

• 3 weeks later...

The truck has been a pleasure to drive this last month. With the fresh suspension, balanced tires and an alignment I imagine this is how somebody driving a brand new MJ would have felt.

IMAG0124-1.jpg.18b41373b8dacf3738331bab8463b198.jpg

What does EVERY MJ interior lack? Light. I located a lighted rearview mirror I bought for my 92 three years ago while organizing my parts stash in the garage. Mounted the windshield button and wired it up to come on with the B-pillar lights.

IMAG0127-1.thumb.jpg.31c86283a233b1ee4293ad3cbc160648.jpg

Since I had ZERO issues with the truck over the last month I felt it was time for another road trip. My destination, Kansas City, to help a buddy apply Raptor liner to the interior of his XJ. The morning was brisk but clear. As I loaded up the truck with gear, it heated up and defrosted. An hour into the trip I lost heat. The fan was blowing cool air and the vent selector was working just fine. When I pulled off at a Rest Area I suspected the heater bypass valve failed. Sure enough, even with good vacuum the valve wouldn't hold its position. I suspect the vacuum diaphragm gave out. I finished my trip with no heat and was ever grateful for the sun warming the cab.

I immediately did the bypass elimination when I returned home. I am not happy with the non molded heater hoses, but they work. Noticed my high pressure power steering hose is leaking, so I need to buy one of those!

IMAG0135-1.jpg.95c809cf8e87f3b8673401f676ace6dd.jpg

I only averaged 15mpg at 75-80mph with a 30-40mph cross wind.

• 4 weeks later...

Last September (of 2013), I replaced the thermostat when I installed a new radiator. The thermostat was a MotoRad unit I bought from the parts store. Typically I would have gone to the dealer, but I was pressed for time and I had learned MotoRad had started providing Mopar with thermostats. Well, it lasted 1 year 2 months. This weekend I braved the crowds and went to Menards on Black Friday. While I was successful at buying a few new tools, I noticed the temperature gauge in the truck never moved, the truck was down on power and my heat quit working.

Replaced the thermostat with a genuine Mopar unit. Hopefully the Mopar variety of the MotoRad thermostats is just as good as the previous generation Mopar thermostats.   

Old vs. New

IMAG0180.thumb.jpg.dd59dfc39eed9713eab29d757313952c.jpg

IMAG0181.thumb.jpg.ef8d480de569c7c3f65de0fc0173e1bc.jpg

I just gotta say that I LOVE your build! It's a c

killer truck! BTW, how far away from the center section did you place your spring mounts on the 8.8? How/where did you locate them?

Thank you for the kind words! Much appreciated.

I cannot recall the center to spring mount measurement. Maybe I've still got it written down on scratch paper in the garage. To find their position, I set the D35 next to the 8.8, set both pinion angles to 0° and attacked both with a sharpie, straight edge, angle indicator and tape measure. First I found the center of each axle then measured over to the perch center. I set the perch angle identical to the stock 35 since I was staying spring under. I did discover the 8.8 housing is offset and the stock explorer perches were pretty close to the Jeep alignment. The 8.8 is sitting 1" back using the Ruff Stuff perch so I could reuse my stock driveshaft.

• 1 month later...

Its time for an update. My overall goal for this truck has slowly been transforming from a basic daily driver to a test mule. Test mule for what? Overland/adventure gear I will eventually incorporate into my '92 build for a cross country trip, when the time comes. This will primarily consist of solar/power equipment, bed storage, skids and recovery gear. My goal is to iron out any wrinkles in my gear prior to installing it on the '92. Since I will try and push my gear beyond my intended use on the '92, I have to get this truck up to snuff.

First step, snorkel.

http://amzn.com/B00B90NGBK

Since I am building this truck on the cheap, I opted to give the China made Amazon snorkel a try.

IMAG0185.jpg.780748da9983901833ce9dd53bdc0271.jpg

My first step was to clean up a HO 4.0 air box to use in the truck. I opted to use the HO air box since the filters are easily found at the parts stores (unlike the 86 air filters) and it eliminates the vacuum doors in the air box. I fastened the snorkel adapter to the front of the air box with button head bolts with lock washers and sealer.

IMAG0193_1.jpg.93239d5de8162f3701b2c013d4672c62.jpg

First 3" hole drilled into the truck after test fitting the air box.

IMAG0194_1.thumb.jpg.6d1bb10ae962494c0c35b70ddaa4aa06.jpg

Measure, measure, measure. Then drill!  My measurements were vastly different than the template provided. You have to elongate the the 3" hole towards the back to allow the curved snorkel tube to fit through.

IMAG0198.jpg.c99b7281c941a68ca230481da130fba6.jpg

Test fit the snorkel body, crossing your fingers that you measured correctly. Not pictured is the a-pillar bracket riveted to the windshield frame. I used my own stainless rivets not the provided rivets.

IMAG0197.thumb.jpg.9600a42099575a66d9b077fa0997152c.jpg

HO air box plumbed in to the 2.5 TBI unit. I am not crazy about the twist in the intake tube, but I highly doubt it will affect the 2.5's performance.  

IMAG0199.jpg.55db139d5447827df799f6b72e48d214.jpg

Installed and ready for action.

IMAG0203-1.jpg.e2dc87e20c14d89711157b82d356313b.jpg

IMAG0204.thumb.jpg.823f0ba7e50118f92666d64e20f2fc6d.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Next step. Increase departure angle by replacing Fey bumper and Valley Hitch with the JCR DIY bumper I bought in 2012.

The bumper comes to you in a small, unassuming, yet heavy box.

IMAG0743.thumb.jpg.8bdf4923a2e585e9d557b0971785b7a7.jpg

You then have to figure out how to bend metal to specific degrees in an unequipped garage.

IMAG0208_1.thumb.jpg.ee6170291526efaa0e6a4aad1295cace.jpg

Bumper starting to take shape.

IMAG0209_1.jpg.5e0f527a216e8d0b1ea3d14a01245667.jpg

Per JCRs instructions, grinding and smoothing done before shackle and mounting brackets installed. You can also see the real Curt receiver hitch I bought to replace the piece of box tube JCR sold me as a receiver. 

IMAG0211.thumb.jpg.205be97fb138b644cf19e9f379634fbb.jpg

Finished:

IMAG0222-1-1.jpg.5dc52ecf3bad915c31a93cb164de0289.jpg

IMAG0220-1-1.jpg.f2aa4bb9a650c0a7e2a4ae97e722a775.jpg

Something happened to the bumper brackets when I burned them in. During the construction/tacking of the bumper, everything lined up perfect. However, once the bumper was permanently mounted I noticed it sits about 1/4" lower on the driver side of the truck. I guess something warped. Whoops.

The crazy thing, I swear this bumper weighs less than the Fey bumper + Valley Hitch combo.

• 1 month later...

I have been trying to find a route through the Kansas flint hills, on dirt roads, to simply drive and enjoy. Of the 500+ mile route I mapped out in google earth, I was able to break away from my busy schedule to verify about 225 miles of road. Every farmer I passed gave me a big wave. Might have something to do with my front license plate.

Typical road conditions.

Road.jpg.3dcbd72db4d168bd67cfb2c2dad10716.jpg

Sometimes the county road is really minimum maintenance:

IMAG0379.jpg.9d4629442e0235851712c2493ffa3cbb.jpg

One example of what you can find in rural Kansas. Atlas Missile Silo.

Silo.jpg.72457a6c80cf4394edd15dca071fec7b.jpg

Image Not Found

Geez! Talk about flat! I'm in the same boat on this side of MN but at least we've got some trees. Hell... must be a good place if your dog were to ever run off though. I bet you could still see it three days later on the horizon!  :laughin:

Image Not Found

Geez! Talk about flat! I'm in the same boat on this side of MN but at least we've got some trees. Hell... must be a good place if your dog were to ever run off though. I bet you could still see it three days later on the horizon! :laughin:

X2 hilarious lol

Buck, glad you enjoyed the photos! I have no doubt the Kansas climate would be difficult to come back to after being spoiled in Florida.

I love being able to see the horizon. You know, when I go to Colorado I quickly get myself above the timber line as I get anxious surrounded by trees with no view. There is also something about unspoiled prairie that is comforting. What is neat about this part of the state, is you can be on the top of what seems like flat land then abruptly drop into a twisting and turning valley.

• 2 months later...

The truck has been running well and is sitting at about 182k miles. I am having an issue with the fuel gauge that I have yet to solve. The tailgate started to get difficult to open and close so I disassembled the latch mechanism, cleaned up the handle and pins and treated them with graphite. Now it is silky smooth! I also had an annoying exhaust rattle that required a new clamp.

The Cooper AT3's are at 6k miles and are due for a rotation. These tires continue to impress me on this truck.

IMAG0499-1.jpg.0050dfd65964f048d79303b291f1f475.jpg

I am not sure if I can convince my wife to let us take the truck to Woodland Park, CO this July for a wedding we are to attend. It would be a long drive in the HOT plains without A/C, but I'd like to do it :) You see, I'd like to do some exploring the few days she helps prepare for the ceremony and I don't think my TJ would have enough cargo space to get all of the decorations out there...

Love the LWB Brett and great work. Need to ask you a question about your rear Explorer disks. I have the same setup on my D44 including the spacers. Have you tried to pull the rotors yet? I picked up a new pair of cross-drilled rotors in trade, and went to remove the old Explorer rotors. They wouldn't budge, stuck tighter than snot on a hot oven door. Tried everything and wore out two hammers. I'm at a loss................