Lookin for info on a few diff 33s

I'm trying to decide on tires, and was hoping to get some first hand info on a few different buddies.

The stats (this took a long time to type up, and I'll probably be looking for used tires, but the prices will still be reflected then):

......................................................Actual Height...Summit Racing...4 Wheel Parts....Size................Complaints

Pro Comp Xterrain.........................32.4..................170.50.............170.99...............33x12.50R15...small

Pro Comp Mud Terrain...................32.5..........................................158.99...............33x12.50R15...small

Super Swamper Radial/TSL...........32.7..................163.95.............164.99...............33x12.50R15

Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrain.......32.8...................................................................33x12.50R15...can't find

BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM.....32.8..................175.95.............173.99...............33x12.50R15

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R...............32.8.................198.95.............208.99...............33x12.50R15...expensive

TrXus Mud Terrain..........................33....................147.95.............149.99...............33x12.50R15

Mickey Thompson Baja Claw..........33....................181.95.............171.99...............33x12.50R15

Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain....33.1.........................................235.99...............33x13.50R15...wide, expensive

I'd like to hear from anyone that has used any of these tires, what conditions they've used them in, and how they've done. If you have any other suggestions, holler em out!

I personally wheel in soft dirt, light mud, lava rocks, and at speed, but want a tire I can trust in any condition. I also put alot of road time in, but am not overly concerned with wear, as much as pulling and heavily excessive noise. Also, snow fall is kind of big where I live, and the ice can get bad in Jan/Feb.

My ears are open!

I can comment on 2 diffferent sets.

The pro comp tires while aggressive looking don't do well in mud :eek: unless you have lots of wheel speed. Also they are loud for what they are, and don't wear very evenly. You really have to experiment with tire pressure, to get a good foot print.

BFG.... by far these are the best wearing tires out there if properly balanced and rotated. My only gripe is their sidewalls tear like toilet paper

i did quite a bit of back road and off road driving in southeast, eastern and notheastern oregon in my zj and did most of it on goodyear mt/r's. drove from cali border by lakeview up to walla walla, wa over the course of 4 years, almost all gravel/trail. also had them in the northwestern mud where they were decent. good on the street and i trusted them in the sharp rocks in the east, too bad they are so expensive. probably will go with bfg at's on the mj cause they are inexpensive.

nathan

I agree with pingpong on the BFG's.

Good friend ran the X-terrains. They wore out quickly and are useless on the trail after half tread.

MTR's get my vote out of that list. Really tough sidewalls, great on road (just rotate them every 2000 miles) and do great on the trail, especially rocks. They aren't the best in deep mud but are comparable to every other tire on your list except the Swampers. The Swampers are by far the best mud tire but not a good street tire at all.

my 2 cents.

wheeling in the midwest I've seen mostly loose dirt and mud.

My observations:

I wheeled with a YJ and procomp mud terrains, every hill was a full throttle attack to get the tires to clean. They sucked.

Lot's of people use the BFG muds here, good performance, great street manners, but sidewall issues like was mentioned.

I've got 34x9.5 TSL's on the MJ right now. Let's just say that I'm looking for some street tires, they're loud, take 10 miles before they're round and aren't wearing that great. They are exceptional offroad though, I walked through some really nasty mud at big rock without even needing to spin tires. Ice and snow are scary though.

Truxus MT would be my choice for a dual purpose tire, a few people in the MWC run those and they seem to do well in all situations, decent in mud, good in rocks, and they street well. Balancing issues are the major complaint, but I think that's with the larger variants.

wheeling in the midwest I've seen mostly loose dirt and mud.

Truxus MT would be my choice for a dual purpose tire, a few people in the MWC run those and they seem to do well in all situations, decent in mud, good in rocks, and they street well. Balancing issues are the major complaint, but I think that's with the larger variants.

i would agree with that because i have heard they do great on ice and snow.

i'm getting a set of TSL's this spring but i also have a set of BFG A/T's

I have seen a few wranglers running the pizza cutter TSl's (34x9.5) on stock steelies, and they seem to do really good if you like a narrow tire. Of course the 2 ppl I know who run them trailer their rig to the trail, and don't run them on the street.

Screw just spend the coin and buy some IROKS :D

Back away from Josh's Xterrains! Actually he doesn't want to sell them now I guess, but those probably woulda been great for you.

Personally, I run the BFG MTs on my Nissan and love them. They're quiet and have great traction everywhere I've tried them, except for a couple REALLY icy spots (of course that can be attributed to the locker also). I bought them at like 40% (or I'm sure you saw them, what would you rate them at?), put 4k or so on them so far, and I can't see any wear. I love them!

I think if I lived down there in Bend and drove over lava rack etc, I'd go for the MT/Rs though. Great sidewall, good traction, and air them down and they'll grip anything. Seems like it anyway. A buddy of mine is living down there going to COCC and put MT/Rs in the 33x12.5 size on his Toyota, hasn't had a problem yet. As opposed to Josh's Xterrains, several problems with those.

Overall, I'd say get what you can. A good price on tires can make up for it not being the "perfect" tire. For instance, Xterrains wouldn't be my "perfect" tire, but I definitely woulda bought those 33s from Josh if I could fir them. Just my .02 though

I have seen a few wranglers running the pizza cutter TSl's (34x9.5) on stock steelies, and they seem to do really good if you like a narrow tire. Of course the 2 ppl I know who run them trailer their rig to the trail, and don't run them on the street.

Screw just spend the coin and buy some IROKS :D

that's what I'm running right now.

They look nice, perform freaking awesome off road, but yes, they're bias ply TSLs, and that's about all you need to know for how well they drive on pavement.

Here's my junk with those tires on rockkrawlers w/3.75" BS

Trent, apparently I'd be 4th on the list for Josh's 33s, and he ripped open 2 sidewalls on the 31s I have now.

A recap...

Complaints so far:

ProComp Xterrain -sidewall strength, mud, use after 1/2 tread, loud, wear

ProComp Mud Terrain - cleaning, and traction on mud and dirt

TSL - road, ice/snow

BFG MT - sidewall, ice

MT/R - price

TrXus - balancing

Baja Claw - mud, rocks

Praise so far:

ProComp Xterrain -

ProComp Mud Terrain -

TSL - mud, 'offroad'

BFG MT - road, wear, 'traction'

MT/R - gravel, trail, sharp rocks

TrXus - mud, rocks, street, ice, snow

Baja Claw -

i drive my xj a lot on the road, tire wear is a big factor for me. i run 33x10.5 BFG all terrains, and i can't complain on how they handle in the street on snow. and when i off road i air them down and they seem to do ok, they need some speed to clean out, but for the all around driver they are a good tire if you spend a lot of time on pavement.

my bro has the goodyear m/t and he loves them, they are quiet and provide a ton of traction.

my next tire will be the trxus m/t, the goodyear m/t, or the bfg m/t because they are all great tires for on and off road performance.

Sand, mud, snow, highway... my trXus have taken everything I've thrown at them (I've never wheeled in sharp rocks though). They are a heavy tire and some of mine have taken a bunch of weight to balance (one needed only a single small weight). No biggie though as they've maintained that balance just fine. The biggest concern is that you rotate them every 3-5k miles. They are a soft tire compound and they will show you any problems with your alignment. BFG muds and MTRs also get a nod from me (though I haven't run them on my trucks). Just don't think of the MTRs as a mud tire, they are an all-terrain.

Where'd you get the chart info?

I really doubt 33" BFGs measure 32.8". My 35s measure like 33" when they're aired up to about 30LBS. I'll admit they are at about 40%. I put them beside the 37" MTRs and just started laughing at how small the BFGs are.

Oh, I'm not into the BFGs just because of the sidewalls. I've got a couple plugs. A friend ripped 5 in 2 days...

I've ran 33" claws, and run now 37" claws. I have nothing bad to say about them. I do mostly mud and i have no problems with them clogging up. They clear out very easily. I've run them on rocks, slick rocks, loose hills. They have never let me down. They are smooth and quite on the road. They aren't balanced and they don't shake at all.

My dad runs 33" Trxus mt's. They are a very good tire. Do well in all situations. They are very quite on the highway. I think they are the best bang for the buck tire.

Another tire i ran is the Firestone Destination MT's. I loved those tires to death. Excellent in anything.

I personally looked into the pitbull tires, and I was tempted to get them except they are WIDE, and look like ballons on rigs.... it might just be my perception though. Also they don't come in the size I wanted :cry:

You gotta run locks and a wide rim for them to look alright.

Where'd you get the chart info?

Most of the height numbers came from Summit Racing, and for the price, I listed for Summit and 4 Wheel Parts.

The BFG number matches from both Summit and BFG. The 35 apparently measures 34.8.

Betcha that's what BFG says they are. I should throw the tape on the 100% one and see what it is. But I doubt it's 34.8".