A general message

jimoshel

to Thunderbear, Lexluthier72 and all the newbies(and some of the oldies) getting aggravated and disgusted (IE;Pissed) at their MJ'S. C'mon fellas. remember. That's a 20+ year old Jeep your working on. It's been abused, misused, neglected, beat on, beat up, beat off and generally just led a rough, neglected life. One of the hazards of being a Jeep instead of a Buick. Anything worthwhile isn't going to come easy. Just stick with it and think of the feeling of pride and ownership when you're driving down the street in the only, or one of the few, MJ in town. Just think of what the people are saying as you drive by. Things like, "Man he must be hard up, driving that clunker," or "Well I guess it beats walking." Not to mention all the chicks looking for a ride that'll stick their nose in the air and walk off when you pull up to the curb and open the door. Then there's the batting down the interstate at 85, passing everything on the road, knowing they're reading that 'JEEP' logo on the tail gate and thinking "I'LL be pulling that a$$hole out of the ditch before we get to town."

Seriously tho fellas, stick with it. It'll be worth it. And remember CC is here for you. Jim :cheers: jamminz.gif :wavey: image_209027.gif

Well said, Jim. :cheers: I love my MJ and would never get rid of it. I live in Orange County, one of the most snobbish, materialistic areas in the country, where if you don't drive a Benz or a BMW, you are looked down upon.

Up until last year, I was a off-lease vehicle inspector for banks and finance companies. I would go to customers' homes to make sure their lease vehicles were in good condition before they turned them in. I would show up in my primer gray MJ and people would say, "THAT'S what you drive?" :yes:

I really don't care what people think about me or my truck. Surprisingly though, I do receive a lot of positive comments. And if something breaks on it, I usually blame myself. I never get mad at the truck.

Hey Jim....

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have indeed come to that realization that it is a 21 year old truck. Trying to keep a positive attitude when working on it. Sir Sam is right....beer helps (immensly) I appreciate the pep talk. The only real downer to working on it, is money is tight, and its my DD. Back to work. :D

p.s.- All the chicks I know dig my jeep. :nuts:

A couple weeks ago, my wife and I carpooled to work in the MJ. That was her second time riding in the the truck and she isn't shy about her disdain at having to be in "that thing". Her DD is a Porsche Cayenne S which has it's own set of issues, but she loves it.

Upon exiting the highway and turning at a busy intersection, someone nearby shouted " COOMAAANCHEEE". I couldn't see who shouted but I stuck my hand out the rear slider and gave a thumbs up. She couldn't believe what just happened. Nobody ever shouted Cayenne during her out and abouts. I explained (again) about the strong bond between Comanche owners and drove the rest of the way home with a slight grin.

comanche.gif

This addiction to Comanche's is like a disease. I bought my first MJ last year and another a few months later. I'm mighty tempted to buy my buddies little 4 banger every time he mentions selling it. I constantly check Craigslist for MJ's for sale although if I come home with another Jeep the wife would disown me. I love my Comanche's, problems and all. Not sure why but I'm sure it has something to do with driving a vehicle that very few people drive and that are becoming more rare everyday. I don't see myself ever getting cured of this disease. :dunno:

GF can't understand why I have such a strong dislike for her shiny new Dodge quad cab 1500.

The bed sits 10 off the ground and I'm the one has load and unload it.

I can't understand why she dislikes my MJ. Just because it's a little smelly and kind a noisy.

Its tough explaining to some people why I drive a 22 year old Jeep pickup truck to work every day.

Guess I should stop trying to explain. :cheers:

Mines 23. "Why do you drive that piece of junk instead of your Dodge?" Get that all the time, or "Jeez, how many of these things you got?" :jump: (I have a 2008 CTD that just sits in the garage)

One of the hazards of being a Jeep instead of a Buick.

I'll have you know I autocrossed my completely stock low-mileage 94 LeSabre last year. Surprisingly, I didn't have the slowest time after the day was done. Almost, but not quite.

Remember too, that NOT driving a vehicle is another form of abuse [think of the garage queen Corvettes and Ferraris out there or even cars left in fields or back yards]. Seals dry up, things start to not work right or not work at all from sitting. My 15 year old Buick has less than 70k on it and it seeps coolant and tranny fluid, and the rear brakes stick in addition to having contracted the early-90s paint mange that afflicts so many cars of its vintage. I don't drive it much other than about 20 miles once a month to keep it active and alive. It hasn't had a fill-up since early summer.

/always thought the 90s LeSabres and Park Avenues had great looking front ends, but atrocious rears

//may have to start looking for a 97+ vintage Park Ave Ultra some day

One of the hazards of being a Jeep instead of a Buick.

I'll have you know I autocrossed my completely stock low-mileage 94 LeSabre last year. Surprisingly, I didn't have the slowest time after the day was done. Almost, but not quite.

Remember too, that NOT driving a vehicle is another form of abuse [think of the garage queen Corvettes and Ferraris out there or even cars left in fields or back yards]. Seals dry up, things start to not work right or not work at all from sitting. My 15 year old Buick has less than 70k on it and it seeps coolant and tranny fluid, and the rear brakes stick in addition to having contracted the early-90s paint mange that afflicts so many cars of its vintage. I don't drive it much other than about 20 miles once a month to keep it active and alive. It hasn't had a fill-up since early summer.

/always thought the 90s LeSabres and Park Avenues had great looking front ends, but atrocious rears

//may have to start looking for a 97+ vintage Park Ave Ultra some day

Not sure if you took umbrage at my reference to Buick or just wanted to rave. I have nothing against Buicks. The first car I ever owned in my life was a Buick. A 1938 4dr convertible. I was 14 years old. Paid the grand sum of $40 for it. It's hood was longer than some cars now a days. I could just as well used Ford or Rolls Royce. As for the rest of your post, I agree whole heartily.

Not sure if you took umbrage at my reference to Buick or just wanted to rave. I have nothing against Buicks. The first car I ever owned in my life was a Buick. A 1938 4dr convertible. I was 14 years old. Paid the grand sum of $40 for it. It's hood was longer than some cars now a days. I could just as well used Ford or Rolls Royce. As for the rest of your post, I agree whole heartily.

You made me look up 'umbrage' since its been so long since I have seen or heard that word. No, no annoyance or offense taken by it at all.

Carry on. :cheers:

My wife, girlfriend at the time, was THRILLED I got the rusty MJ. Granted, that also meant I was getting rid of my mint Miata. I don't think she liked that car too much....

Ya, no $#!& she didn't like it. I'm suprised she didn't think you were ghey. She must have meet you before she saw your Miata.

......unless of course it was a MONSTER MIATA. Then it would be ok.

We tease my buddy all the time cause he has Miata seats in his Toyota...

(This post is meant to be completely humorous and not intended to offend anyone with a Miata ghey or straight)