A good one

jimoshel

Neighbor came over this afternoon. Wanted to know if I knew any thing about Jeeps. Think he was joking. Any how, seems he he bought a 1989 XJ for his daughter 3 weeks back. They went out trail riding yesterday afternoon and stuck it in a ditch. Into 4WD, nothing. Sat there a couple hours and finally a guy came by in his Ford and pulled them out. So wanting to stay on good terms with my neighbors , I agreed to take a look at it. Got in started it, and shifted to 4wd high.Shifter was looser than a loose goose. No problem. Apparently the linkage came loose. Crawled under to take a look. Unbelievable. No transfer case. No live front axle. Just a straight ole BA10 with a rear driveshaft. Found out he bought it from the shadiest used car dealer in town. He's so bad the local news paper won't even carry his ads. Looked at the BOS. Very plainly stated 1889 4WD Cherokee, 30 day guarantee on parts and labor. He's taking it back Monday. Interesting to see what happens. From the looks of it, it was factory 4WD equipted but apparently some where along the line somebody removed the TC and front axle. The neighbor's a retired lawyer. We'll see.

So it still had a 4wd transmission? Or did they bother swapping in a 2wd one so the speedo would still work?

I really don't know. Never thought about it. I never actually moved the Jeep and he never mentioned the speedo not working. I just noticed it had the 2WD ext and never thought no more about it. There was no oil leakage so all the holes were filled. I'm going to guess they swapped whole tranny.

Robert, my neighbor just left. Went in and talked to the dealer. Showed him the BOS and explained to him what all had happened. Asked him what he wanted to do about it. Guy ordered him off his property. Robert asked me if I was willing to be a witness in a court case. Naturally told him yes. Stay tuned for more details as the drama unfolds. Frankly I can't believe the guys that stupid.

Oh lordy, this is the funniest things I've seen all week. :nuts: :rotfl2: I'm glad I can come home from a hard day's worth of landscaping to find this. But seriously? IMO, I would have tried out the 4WD before ever leaving the lot, that's just my rule of thumb. My whole ideal is, "If there's a button or a lever in a car that activates something, I am obligated to press, push, pull, or fiddle with it to see if it works."

off topic,

i've actually pulled a Escalade outa the mud before, and if that isnt crazy (or stupid) enough, the dip$#!& had just bought it that day and "thought" it was AWD or 4WD whatever those things got. he was trying to decide between a hummer and the caddy. more money then brains...

carry on....