Hurricane Irene

HOrnbrod

Got a couple of dead branches I'll be cutting down in the morning and I gotta get the carb on the generator back together so I can get that thing running. I'm pretty far west in NJ and we don't expect too much damage, but there will be plenty of rain, which means my basement will likely flood. If the power goes out, I'll need to use the generator to keep the sump pumps going.

The wind wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, but the rain came down real good. We never lost power, but my sump pump wasn't able to keep up with the demand and I had 3 inches of water in the basement, but it wasn't enough to get over the housekeeping pads on most of the important stuff - water heater, washer/dryer, and HVAC system. Once the rain died down, the sump pump did it's job. I did find all sorts of spots where the water was coming in that need to be fixed. My Aunt & Uncle 1/4 mile up the road from me somehow lost power around 10am, so I took my generator to their place and got it hooked up to their sump pump to keep the basement dry.

Really wasn't all that bad, but I think the coast got hammered pretty good with plenty of flooding. I'm going to head down to the Delaware River to see what that looks like, if I can even get there.

well it wasn't as bad as isabel lots of wind & rain. The local folks out in the beach front area may have got the worst with flooding and wind damage. we lost pwr for 12hrs and a few shingle from the roof. I'm very greatful :cheers: that it wasn't worst

we've been without power since about 2 PM on Saturday, and probably won't get it back until tomorrow (maybe.....).

Everything was going good for me until last night when my generator shut off out in the driveway. Went out thinking it ran out of gas, and noticed oil sprayed all over the front of my garage door. Threw the rod right through the side of the crankcase :fs1:

And of course, there's not a generator to be found anywhere on the east coast right now....anybody got one I can borrow for a day or so? I'm willing to drive a fair distance to buy/borrow one. My brother is trying to find one for me up in PA, but it seems all the stores outside the impact area decided to wrap up all their inventories and send them east. Crap.

Jeff

Thx Don, but I'll pass :cheers:

The local Lowe's just got a truckload of 5500W gennies in, and I am the new proud owner of one of them. They sold 40 of them in 45 minutes, and I got the third-to-last one. While I was loading it onto a cart, the other two went.

Jeff

edit: WOW!^^^^

Thx Don, but I'll pass :cheers:

The local Lowe's just got a truckload of 5500W gennies in, and I am the new proud owner of one of them. They sold 40 of them in 45 minutes, and I got the third-to-last one. While I was loading it onto a cart, the other two went.

Jeff

edit: WOW!^^^^

That's great Jeff. Got to keep your beer cold. :cheers: First things first.

I grew up in N. VT up past Burlington. Haven't seen much damage up that far north, only in southern VT, like centuries old covered bridges swept away like toys. :(

beers have been on ice since Saturday mid-afternoon.....that was priority #1 :D

Maybe getting ready for round 2 later on next week here (again), there's another one brewing out in the Atlantic and it's on an almost identical track as Isabel was back in 2003. If this one plays out the wrong way it's really gonna start to suck here.....

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.sh ... l#contents

Jeff

I spent my first 18 years in Essex Junction about a mile from the Winooski River (that's Indian not Polish) and have several family members spread throughout the state. One of my sisters owns a parcel on the shore of Lake Champlain in Isle La Motte. The lake could overflow but hopefully all the flooding is done with for now.

Some of those pictures are eerily familar to what we called Katrina.

Good luck to the guys in those areas. Keep your receipts for any items you had to purchase because of the storm (generators, chain saws, pumps, emergency fuel, boards, tarps etc.) as FEMA will reimburse you (eventually) and then audit you later :roll:

EDIT: also, keep a sharp eye out for the emergency cash distribution centers. They will announce them and not fund them with enough cash for everyone, so be there early, and be polite but firm when they ask you what you've lost. Ensure that you get full value for the contents of the fridge and freezer.

Haven't had power since Saturday night, my friends house a couple towns over is right near the shore and he has 2 feet of water in his living room... I got to play with my new skimboard more then I thought I would this summer haha hope eeryones alright I just got my power back on around noon today

I spent my first 18 years in Essex Junction about a mile from the Winooski River (that's Indian not Polish) and have several family members spread throughout the state. One of my sisters owns a parcel on the shore of Lake Champlain in Isle La Motte. The lake could overflow but hopefully all the flooding is done with for now.

I was right down the road in S. Burlington Remi. I knew you were not a native Cali guy. :cheers: Lived on a dairy farm out in Chittenden county. Back then it was all farm land; it's really changed now. No relatives left there, they all moved south to Mass. :cheers:

Haven't had power since Saturday night, my friends house a couple towns over is right near the shore and he has 2 feet of water in his living room... I got to play with my new skimboard more then I thought I would this summer haha hope eeryones alright I just got my power back on around noon today

That's weird, my fiance live in Huntington while going to school, and she only had the power flicker once or twice, no other problems

To all the VT folks, good luck, I hope it wasn't bad for you.

Where I live it wasn't bad, had to work it, but when I got home this morning, just a small downed sapling, and I had to reset all my clocks

:ack: ruh-roh.....I've been watching TS Katia since it developed off the African coast a couple days ago. The track it has taken so far is eerily, if not almost identical, to Isabel's track back in 2003. Hopefully it will recurve back out to sea and be a fish storm, I don't want to go thru another Isabel ever again, especially now right after Irene bombed us out.

It's been 5 days and counting now, still no power at the house :(

waiting, and watching...

Jeff

During the last bout of tornadoes here we were down for 14 days. The hardest part was during the first week when we had to drive 75-100 miles to find gas and then wait in line for hours. Hope you can get it easier Jeff-man.

Between the earthquakes, tropical storms, hurricanes and being on a island next to NYC with enough traffic problems I don't think I'd make it out of here alive if a really bad natural disaster were to happen. My parents fiddled with the idea of moving to Colorado! :bowdown: jamminz.gif my dreamland! I mean besides a decent amount of fluffy snow whats the worst that can happen? I liek snow!

Between the earthquakes, tropical storms, hurricanes and being on a island next to NYC with enough traffic problems I don't think I'd make it out of here alive if a really bad natural disaster were to happen. My parents fiddled with the idea of moving to Colorado! :bowdown: jamminz.gif my dreamland! I mean besides a decent amount of fluffy snow whats the worst that can happen? I liek snow!

During our last heat wave Mickey D ran out of ice cold lemonade. :yes:

During our last heat wave Mickey D ran out of ice cold lemonade. :yes:

Mother Nature is gonna send one of them prong horns after you..... :yes:

You mean Prong Horn Antelope? Jim would probably shoot it and eat it.

LOL yeah, but not if he's not looking when she does!