88 Comanche Chief - 'the UniTruggy'

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may have missed it, but I am curious to know what you are doing for steering. Are you using the stock Ford stuff, going with Chevy links or doing a high steer? 

right now its the stock Ford stuff bolted up to the stock Jeep stuff, which should be fine for now, but high steer and hydro assist are in the plans. i might get a WJ pitman arm, which is longer than the stock MJ/XJ arm so i can get more steering throw. behind the axle steering is also a possibility, but i don't think ill have enough room with the oil pan at full stuff.

congrats on the house and what an awesome looking mj, I hope you get moved in and playing with it soon

thanks! yea its been hard just not working on it for the past few months, especially now that the wheeling season is starting up again, not that it ever really 'stops' out here.

Great to hear! I myself am about to embark on the house search game in the next couple months as well. Looking forward to how you make out with the new place and of course finishing up the truck!

thanks, and the best of luck to you!

• 1 month later...

ok so finally another update. been busy with the new house so i havent touched the Chief in ages, other than starting him up maybe once a week. well today a buddy of mine hauled him over to our new house from where it was being stored. now i can actually get some work done. gonna switch from a 3-link to a y-link set up in front due to the simplicity of it. then its just brakes, rear driveline, and shocks, and hes driveable. 

mandatory shot of both Jeeps in their new garage

• 2 months later...

so this happened today:

it still needs a bunch of work. but it moves back and forth on its own. still need to bleed the brakes, figure out the parking brake cables, and finish welding the upper arms for the radius arm suspension that i switched to, (since i didnt feel like cutting into the floor). after that, its trimming the fenders, getting my other wheels and tires back on (the ones in the pic are borrowed), and then........drive it. 

• 2 weeks later...

johnny quest i have to say that is a sick looking manche man, gratz on the house, jeep, and work you have gotten done, make sure when you trim the fenders to bevel or round off the trim, my buddy and me trimmed our fenders recently, and he forgot to do that, now he is replacing a tire, we went out to joke around and fake flex, and his slipped off the hill and the tire spun and hit the fender and slit it in two... horrible sight... :(   but yeah man, awesome MJ and don't quit with the updates man,

• 4 weeks later...

johnny quest i have to say that is a sick looking manche man, gratz on the house, jeep, and work you have gotten done, make sure when you trim the fenders to bevel or round off the trim, my buddy and me trimmed our fenders recently, and he forgot to do that, now he is replacing a tire, we went out to joke around and fake flex, and his slipped off the hill and the tire spun and hit the fender and slit it in two... horrible sight... :(   but yeah man, awesome MJ and don't quit with the updates man,

yea I'm waiting until the suspension is done, so i can flex it and figure out just how much i have to trim, but thatll happen prior to the first trail run.

as for an update, we re-did our upstairs bathroom, so thats been taking over what little free time ive had lately. Gonna try to get the brakes bled and the suspension done this week. then it's just finding and fixing the annoying little stuff

• 2 weeks later...

the word on the street is true ;) video proof may come later on today, if i can get out of work at a decent hour.

all it needs now are some shorter rear shocks, welding the rear spring perches for good, ebrake lines, coil retainers, and some tcase linkage adjustments.

OK so yes, I'm holding the camera the 'wrong way', and yes the fuel gauge doesnt work, and yes, the exhaust is VERY loud, (there's a rather large hole in the floor), but here's video proof.

i got it into 4th going around the block, but it was in 4low, so I topped out at like 20mph. still, thats the fastest ive driven it. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

picked up an ORS stubby bumper from xjrev10, great lookin unit, but it was undrilled for the winch, (i knew this going into the sale), so with the very little spare time that ive had lately (got a 2nd job and a puppy), ive been working on get that drilled and cut for the m8000 that i ended up with after doing some trading. sorry no pics :(

• 3 weeks later...