88 Comanche Chief - 'the UniTruggy'

It looks better to me with the driver side flare on the driver side but it seems like it would function better as a "mudflap" with the pass side flare on the driver side :dunno:

Also if you were going to compcut the end of the bed then it would flow better with the driver side flare. Its not even my truck and it's a hard decision haha

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i won't do a 'comp cut' in the traditional sense, but i am still trying to figure out if i want to:

A.) keep the bed stock length, and eventually dove tail it.

B.) bob the bed and keep it stock width

C.) both A and B (bobbed and dovetailed)

D.) flatbed/tube bed

right now, i feel like i will most likely bob the bed, and then when it gets too thrashed and its a trail-only vehicle, ditch whats left of the bed, and throw in some tube back there

decisions decisions....

• 1 month later...

UPDATE!! i pulled the 14 bolt tonight in favor of......(wait for it) a 14 BOLT!!!!!

explanation: the old 14b had drum brakes, like 140lbs for the pair of them. and they were rusted on. just a mess. so those were ditched long ago in favor of discs. however, the more i read up on them, the more trouble i knew i was in, because there was no 'easy' way to get a good, reliable parking brake on there. i spent days researching the topic and finally found my answer: ditch the whole thing. So that happened tonight to make room for another 14 bolt that came out from under (i believe) a 2004 chevy 2500hd truck. its got disc brakes AND a parking brake setup on both sides inside the disc hat. and as an added bonus, all the guts from the 'older' 14 bolts swap straight over to the new ones, so its the best of both worlds!

also, in somewhat related news, i got a new job! i start next week, and its alot closer to home (17 miles one way vs. 40), the hours are better (730-4 m-f vs. variable schedule with either 8-430 shifts or 2-1030pm shifts) plus the pay is better. all the equals more time and money to work on the Chief!!

• 4 weeks later...

got it to my buddies place last weekend for some welding. got the tranny crossmember, trac bar and the LCAs welded up and in place. gotta get back for another session to get both UCA brackets fabbed up and the control arm itself, along with the rear anti-wrap bar. I know this build is moving at a snails pace, but its gettin there bit by bit; hopefully ill be wheeling it this winter?

• 1 month later...

IT RUNS!!!!!!!!! a buddy of mine has been busting @$$ on it, and it runs!! seems to run pretty strong too, so the PO mustve been true to his word when he said the 4.0 was recently rebuilt. It idles evenly, even with some pretty old gas in the tank. The cherry bomb is gonna have to go, but thatll be put on the back burner for now. Front DS length is PERFECT for using stock shafts, just need a conversion joint. rear will have to be custom made, which is happening this week. Then i just need a bit of welding on the UCA, and the spring perches on the rear axle, along with the traction bar. oh, and shocks. probably gonna go with cheapo's to get me on t he road/trail, and then i can save up for some nice bilsteins ;)

Looks nice!

Don't worry about the pace, as long as slow doesn't turn into stop, you are fine.

What's the tread width (tire center to tire center) with those axles/wheels?

If you can, I'd love to see a side shot to see how far out the tires stick.

Keep the pictures coming :D

Looks nice!

Don't worry about the pace, as long as slow doesn't turn into stop, you are fine.

What's the tread width (tire center to tire center) with those axles/wheels?

If you can, I'd love to see a side shot to see how far out the tires stick.

Keep the pictures coming :D

Thanks!!

i know the wms to wms for the dana 60 is 69.25", and then it depends on the wheels and tires you use. as you can tell, I'm using the H2s, which have 5.5" backspacing. not sure of the tread width right now, (at work) but the tires stick out about 5" from the stock flares on each side.

very nice looking truck, espically with the stock flares :thumbsup:

Thanks!!

id love to keep them, as i like the look too, but so clear the 37s even just street driving, some serious trimming will have to happen. i may trim them off at the outside of the flare, so its still got the factory body lines.

Sweet! Good to hear she's coming along! Now hurry up and get some wheeling pics!

haha I'm trying! a buddy of mine is doing the brake lines as we speak, and has a hookup for driveshafts, so both of those are in the works. then its just welding. i wanna take it wheeling so bad!! probably gonna go out this weekend, but taking the GFs TJ; gotta test out her new sliders

Thanks!!

i know the wms to wms for the dana 60 is 69.25", and then it depends on the wheels and tires you use. as you can tell, I'm using the H2s, which have 5.5" backspacing. not sure of the tread width right now, (at work) but the tires stick out about 5" from the stock flares on each side.

Thanks!

That's exactly what I was looking for.

it came home tonight!! :D

and i drove it from the street to its temporary home like 60 ft away. first time i've ever driven it!! its the little things :) still needs: brake pads and rotors, shocks on all 4 corners, rear driveshaft, UCA mounts, rear diff cover and fluid. I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff, but its nice that the 'to-do' list is getting shorter

i wish it was that easy. we just moved, so i went from having a tight garage squeeze the chief into, to having to park it outside with no power nearby. And other than my hand tools, all my tools are in storage. trying to find someone to finish up some welding, but everyone i know is in the middle of their own projects, and the cheapest quote ive gotten from a shop was $800+ just to weld up the UCA mounts and the anti-wrap bar.

ive got a baby buzz box, but i don't trust it or myself welding suspension stuff. I'm gonna try my hand at some bumpers in the spring, but it doesnt have the power to safely weld something like a UCA mount.

in other news, my gf and i are meeting with a lender this evening, to hopefully start the ball rolling on buying our first house! looking for a place with a 2 car garage at the very minimum, as well as an RV pad so once i get a trailer, its got a fenced-in, out of sight place to stay.

Good luck with the lender. My wife and I bought a place earlier this year and let me tell you, I learned a ton and the experience was nothing like I had imagined. I went from a single car apartment to a 2 car ranch. Wanted a shop, but settled for land.

Sounds like you need to find the old school metal shop in your area $800 is outrageous for the UCA mounts.

it was a fabrication shop that is pretty reputable in the area. i think the quote was off, cause i told him that i already had all the material, but from what he replied with, it sounded like he worked that into the deal. would it be cheaper if i corrected him? probably, but what other seemingly simple details would he miss when working on my jeep? anyway, found a friends brother-in-law who is a surgical stainless welder, so it sounds like we're gonna work out a deal for just a bit less than that original quote.

the lender will certainly be an eye opening experience. we've been lookin on our own, but havent done anything official until now. we know that we don't nearly enough. so we're gonna talk to the lender, (who was suggested by multiple friends of ours who have gone through her) and we'll see where we end up. We have a realtor in mind, but we havent done anything more than a few email exchanges with him. we know what neighborhoods we like and which ones we don't like, so thats a decent starting point in my eyes. we also know what is most important to us in the house itself. the biggest thing we have going for us is that we're currently living with family, so theres no lease to worry about; time is on our side, and we don't need to be out by a certain date.

• 1 month later...

update: i started the chief yesterday; it fired up first try after sitting in below freezing temps for about a month. that is all :( no new parts. no new work done on it. nuthin. but the house search is going well. as soon as we have a new place, then the work will resume on the chief. I don't even have a shop now, so its kind of a downer.

but here is a pic of it before i put it in 'dry storage'; i love the stance and how low it sits(23.5" to the frame under the cab). I'm hoping itll be very stable on the trails. I'm thinking about cutting off the lower section of the bed sides behind the rear axle, (probably along the body line), and then bending up some tube to protect the area. then building a bit more solid bumper off that. the stock bumper is fine for now, but the longer overhang will get caught on stuff. I'm gonna keep the full length bed for now, cause there is a local crawlcomp that i would need to keep all that 'junk in the trunk' back there to still fit into the stock class.

• 1 month later...

ok time for an update. i havent been doing much (anything) to the chief lately. its been cold. i havent had anywhere to work on it. my tools are in storage blah blah blah. anyway, i'm getting one of these next week, which i think will help the build process move right along. actually its the exact one in the picture:

yup, we bought a house! or at least we're going to; closing in on tuesday, so keep your fingers crossed for us! 2 car garage, and plenty of room on the side for extra parking. big backyard, full basement... scion not included