88 Comanche Chief - 'the UniTruggy'

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

started with Cooper 37s, but the kelvlar MTRs are 40s. So far, theyve been great, although i don't feel like i ve really pushed them that hard yet. they balance well, and run smooth at highway speeds. offroad theyve been great; only had one issue with some smaller rocks getting caught between the wheel and the bead, and causing a flat, but thats not the fault of the tire.

• 3 weeks later...

finally got the stupid taillight/blinker issue resolved; ended up being a combination a handful of bad bulbs, a few bad fuses, and a bad socket. I'm glad thats finally taken care of. also, got to puttin some rock lights under there last night. fronts are done, mids/rears will go on tonight or tomorrow. might do a quick shakedown, and then its off to Moab first thing friday morning; hitting the road around 5am to get there for a late morning trail run, maybe Hell's revenge? and then an afternoon run up something, and Fins'n'things night run :brows:

so Moab was awesome. Got down around 10am friday, unloaded the Chief, and went off to hit Hells Revenge. The gears and lockers were amazing; just about everything was point and shoot. only got denied once all week, and that was on Devils Highway, (aka the big hottub on Hells). However, the lockers made steering.........impossible. My steering pump started moaning and groaning almost immidiatly, and didnt stop all weekend. But it was managable, and only made for one near roll. Other than that, and a front ujoint on its last legs, everything went well. Saturday, we ran Poison Spider and Where Eagles Dare, and after dinner at Zax, ran the first half of Fins'n'things on a night run.

the tow pig managed 9.1 mpg on the way down. overall, very happy with it.

The view from most of Hells Revenge

Got a little tippy on Escalator

More from Hells

Hells Gate was awesome. Ive seen it before, but never run it. most people have seen the video of the TJ taking the wrong line and doing like 5 rolls all the way to the bottom. Pretty scary stuff. The drop down was worse than the climb in my opinion, but the climb wasnt anything to mess with either.

Dropping in

Climbing out

• 1 month later...

went out for a New Years Day run, and managed to rip my frame side UCA mount almost completely off the crossmember. luckily it held just enough for us to limp the Chief home. Upon further inspection, it turns out that not only was the UCA mount coming off at the welds, but one part that was apparently welded better than the rest was holding strong, but actually ripping the 3/8" crossmember. not from the edge or from a hole; from the center of the plate. Couldve been waaaay worse. So back to the drawing board. Larger portions of my floor are disappearing so i can access the area that needs rebuilding.

Also, I made a 'to-do' list for the upcoming wheeling season. Its depressing, and it looks to be quite expensive. Next planned wheeling trip isnt until just after Easter, so ive got time to get some stuff done, as long as the funds allow it.