2.8 V-6

What 5-speed transmission and t-case came behind the 2.8L V-6 in an '85 Cherokee? AX-5 and NP207?

Is there much of a demand for the 2.8L engine and 207 t-case? I found a complete engine, transmission, t-case setup for sale, but only need the transmission. I was hoping I could sell the engine and t-case to make my money back.

Most likely an AX5 and 207....but it could be a T5 and NP228/229. If the TC has a fixed rear output, it's a 228/229.

Jeff

The 228 or 229 was what they were using as the 'Selec-Trac" option back then, and just like the NP242 Selec-Trac on the newer XJs, I don't think the option was offered with the 5-speed. So it's most likely an AX-5 with NP207, but as noted, it could be a T-5 tranny.

Most likely an AX5 and 207....but it could be a T5 and NP228/229. If the TC has a fixed rear output, it's a 228/229.

Jeff

The 228 or 229 was what they were using as the 'Selec-Trac" option back then, and just like the NP242 Selec-Trac on the newer XJs, I don't think the option was offered with the 5-speed. So it's most likely an AX-5 with NP207, but as noted, it could be a T-5 tranny.

ot I know. but whats the difference between the Selec-Trac and the Command-Trac

select-trac has 4wheel drive full-time (AWD can be driven on road in any condition)

command-track has 4wheel drive part-time offroad or very loose conditions only

some select tracs had both fulltime and parttime like the 242... i don't know about the 229 though

select-trac has 4wheel drive full-time (AWD can be driven on road in any condition)

command-track has 4wheel drive part-time offroad or very loose conditions only

some select tracs had both fulltime and parttime like the 242... i don't know about the 229 though

whats the t-cases the 4.0 mj's would have? Ive got a 2.5, what one normally came behind that?

bening the owner of a 2.8 manche (with 5speed) I would keep the whole shebang caus u never know when ur gona need a new engin (mine blew, go figure) , I'm curntly picking up 2 4x4 s10 blazers wit the 2.8 1s a manual and the other is an auto and I'm gona keep as much as i can for spare parts , i sugjest u do the same.

bening the owner of a 2.8 manche (with 5speed) I would keep the whole shebang caus u never know when ur gona need a new engin (mine blew, go figure) , I'm curntly picking up 2 4x4 s10 blazers wit the 2.8 1s a manual and the other is an auto and I'm gona keep as much as i can for spare parts , i sugjest u do the same.

I'm with you on that. The 2.8 doesn't have much (if any) resale value, but has a nasty habit of exploding. Hence it'll save headaches to keep a spare one around.

Hey, quit stealing my topic! No, these are all excellent questions and answers. 8)

But anyway, is there much of a demand for the 2.8 L engine? Or the NP 207 or 228/229?

Correct me if I'm wrong--the AX-5 has a 14 spline input shaft and the T-5 has a 10 spline input shaft, so the T-5 could not replace the AX-5??

a 2.5L would have what behind it? a 231?

I think pre '88 usually has a 207 and '88+ has 231.

ot I know. but whats the difference between the Selec-Trac and the Command-Trac

Doesn't the shifter selections usually indicate if you have selc-trac or command-trac??

So here are a couple pictures of the 2.8L V-6 I was looking at.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2006309410098834518IkJLaE

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2230196600098834518niHOTj

Can anybody tell what tranny and t-case those are?

They have about 90,000 miles and alot of those miles came from being towed behind a motorhome. It ran good and had great oil pressure. How much do you guys/gals think it's worth?

So here are a couple pictures of the 2.8L V-6 I was looking at.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2006309410098834518IkJLaE

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2230196600098834518niHOTj

Can anybody tell what tranny and t-case those are?

They have about 90,000 miles and alot of those miles came from being towed behind a motorhome. It ran good and had great oil pressure. How much do you guys/gals think it's worth?

looks exactly like mine. the AX-4