Jump to content

My first Jeep Comanche Project!!!


Recommended Posts

I bought this 89 Jeep Comanche in March 2011 - from Maryland. Its a 4 x 2, 2.5 ltr 4 speed. Has little or no rust with 71,000 original miles. It was faded from sitting in the sun so I planned on painting it. Since I had no previous experience in painting I decided to use spray cans. This entire project was done using spray bombs.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the clear I used krylon satin clear, then hand buffed it with a polishing compound. There is a bunch of stuff that I never thought to take pictures of. All of the window moldings and rubber that the sun hit was hard as a rock and cracked. The mirrors were the little flag type on the sides of the doors. Our local you pick it was a great place to get all kinds of odds and ends! The electric push fan that I installed didn't work as well as I thought it would, so I found a 94 Ford Tempo 2.3, that I massaged into a perfect fit. It's amazing what you can come up with when you don't have much money! All of the interior plastic got painted, except for the dash pieces.

I did a gauge swap. Mine just had the gas gauge and speedo. All the hoses were replaced, along with the rad., water pump, thermostat, belt, both idler pulleys, and flushed cooling system. We have a radiator shop also, so this is what I do for a living.

The funny thing about this project is after almost 30 years of working on cars and trucks I learned so much from this site about little things I've never thought of doing before! I have NEVER walked around a salvage yard at 8:00am looking for ANYTHING in my life. Didn't think I ever would! Now the people know my name. So a lot of this little project is directly because of the great people on this site that are willing to share their ideas and knowledge to others. I really appreciate it, Thanks all of you guys!

 

Glenn Moyer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am digging the "Chocolate Chip" pattern on the outside. It brings up some fond memories of my first deployment. The Army "Digital" on the interior not so much. It does work well with the factory gray pieces though. It would be perfect (I my eyes) with the "Chocolate Chip" carried into the interior with factory tan interior pieces.

 

Great job on the truck either way. It is a nice twist on an over used camo job!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Shelby, a friend of mine is a mechanic at a sewing factory that does products for the government. The interior was left overs that he gave me a couple years ago. Stuff is tough as nails. You can barely cut it with a razor. And it matched the interior so thats what I had to use!

Glenn

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had a terrible case of the death wobble! Couldn't get over 45 mph and didn't dare hit a crack in the road. My 15 year old son thought it was the funniest thing he ever saw! He said my cheeks were even shaking. After alignment it, toe was out pretty bad, it was better but after hitting a bump it would get squirrelly again. Well after doing a little detective work I found out some dummy forgot to tighten the stabilizer shock to the frame. :dunno: Oh well if that's the worst thing I do in this project I'll feel lucky. Death wobble is ALL gone and I can go 65mph and my son can quit asking to go for a ride!

Glenn

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...