Project Drahcir49”Two”

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
kickass. i didnt even know there were dually MJs. I'm guessing people made those, they didnt come factory...? either way it looks good to me :thumbsup:

Yes, they still make-em jamminz.gif

I will post up the company's information soon . . .

I will need to redo the headliner in this truck and I hope that I remember everything I did on the last one. I removed the headliner from the jeep ->

It is in horrible shape. The PO used staples to hold the material up, so I removed the material and used some hand tools to begin pulling the staples out ->

I am trying something new on this one. I have some fiberglass tape and a gallon of Lowes resin/hardener to try to stiffen up the board, before I re-cover it ->

I found out that you can get coupons for up to fifty percent off at Joann's Fabrics. I found one and picked up 6 feet of headliner material for 1/2 of what I paid the last time. I will be messing with the resin before I begin to work on the headliner. I was so happy with how the vanity sun visors came out on the last job; I decided to do the same thing on this one. I picked up a set of the XJ vanity sun visors from the LKQ pick-n-pull and began to work on them ->

I laid the visor on the material to cut out what was needed ->

I used 3M Foam Fast adhesive to attach the fabric ->

I made sure to coat the plastic visor and the foam backing->

I think I was a little too eager on this one and did not follow my own advice of not pressing on the fabric in a way that compresses the foam material. Just enough pressure to ensure that the two are in contact with each other. I have a few compressed finger marks in the material. I will do better on the next one. I trimmed up the excess and snapped the visor closed. And I ended up with a pretty nice finished product ->

TBC - Rich

What year XJ did those visors come out of? I can't seem to find the 'snap' ones...

btw - great work!

For the life of my I can not remember???? I will go back and check my notes when I get home and see if I can't get that information for you. They are 4.99 each + core @ LKQ if you would like me to snag you a set.

Thank you :cheers:

Sorry for the late reply - they were out of a 93 XJ with the Country trim package and overhead console.

Nice....

I am interested in those Dually Fenders...

I look forward to getting the company info on them...

Here you go Jeepman - please tell Ray that RJ in Florida told you about the company ;) ->

Ray Tirheimer 909-357-3505

Custom & Commercial Wheel Company Inc.

14547 Hawthorne Avenue

Fontana, CA 92335

If you can - try getting better pricing for us on the wheel adapters :cheers:

• 1 month later...

I started taking the engine and transmission out of the 86 during breaks at work this weekend. I pulled it into the shop - I wanted get out of the sun ->

The blown 2.8 ->

Use the fork lift and some chain to pull out the engine at first ->

I was not able to get the transmission off the engine, so I took them both out at once ->

And the empty engine bay ->

How does the fire wall look compared to anyone’s newer MJ/XJ? Does it look like it is already updated/clearance for the 4.0? ->

I am tired today :ack: I may try to get the bench seat out tomorrow if I have time. I am dying to see what it looks like under the carpet – TBC Rich

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been very busy working on the other 86, but I made some time today to order the 5 lug to 8 lug adapters for the front axle. I decided that I will be using a real dually rear end for out in back (Dana60??). I will need to find an axle and then see if any modifications will need to be made to make it fit. I should get the adapters at the end of Jan. I am looking into getting the MOTO METAL Series 953 rims - that could change ;)

TBC - Rich

Please do post up the ordering details for those adaptors.......

I'm thinking a good rear axle to swap in for a dually conversion would be a 1-ton Toyota RV axle. They're full float and hubcentric. Didn't have a tape measure with me at the junkyard when I looked at one, but the width looked about right.

Checking out all the dually axles at the LKQ in advance, so I will be ready to get in and out during the next 50% off sale. Saw a nice D70HD dually, but would prefer a Dana 60 for greater aftermarket support. I found this interesting dually set up on a ford I believe - might have considered it if I was not set on custom 1 ton axle. These turned the regular axle wheel into a dual wheel axle. Not sure how safe they are :dunno: it is a lot of pressure on what is essentially extended lug nuts ->

Picture of the adapters - I will be getting one of these->

I almost wish I could do something like this ->

I need to be practical, so I am looking seriously at these in 16" ->

TBC

• 2 months later...

I scored a Dana 44 out of a 1987 XJ this morning from Big 3 jamminz.gif . I saw it there last weekend and had hoped it would still be there this morning ->

I decided against a rear D60/70 axle based on the cost of the axle, having it cut down to work under the MJ, custom axles, etc. vs cost of the adapter. Much cheaper and simpler to get the adapter. I would also be able to source MJ/XJ/Explorer axles any day of the week should something go wrong (though unlikely). I figured eventually a Dana 44 would show up in one of the U-Pull's - but not this soon. After this deal, I am getting closer to having everything I need for the conversion. I am deciding on paint colors now and trying to locate a tan driver side bucket seat, some of the Comanche specific plastic, etc.

TBC - Rich