Bucket Seat Tracks

Just seeing if there is an interest in aftermarket seat tracks. Once I get my Jeep running, I was thinking of building some seat tracks and maybe selling them. Not sure if it's going to be just the lowers or if I can find some Cherokee seat tracks and steal the upper halfs and make complete, bolt in tracks. Not sure on prices if I do go through with this either, need to still see what all needs to be done and what I can get stuff at price wise. They most likely won't cost any more than the going rate of the factory ones except the lowers will all be new.

Basically just gauging interest right now before I go diving into this.

Both of my MJ's have buckets (one came factory, I think the other the guy before me swapped) so I have templates to run from to make installation a breeze. Leaning more towards XJ seats for the time being since that's what I have on hand but don't see it being too hard to make a set for ZJ seats (might need to offset the mounts down a little due to the height of the seats). If the uppers are just a matter of slightly different mounting holes to the lowers then a set of universal lowers shouldn't be too hard.

If there is a bunch of interest on here then I'll start working on them in the next few weeks.

I'm interested in MJ bucket seat brackets/ tracks that make 95+ XJ seats bolt in. Not clear by this post what you're looking to build for specifically. Should you build what I'm looking for, I'll take 2 sets.

I'd mainly be building the lower portion of the track (the part that bolts to the frame) for the time being. I need to see how the whole top section is to see if I can make them universal or not, where you just take the top section and bolt or rivet them to the lower.

I will be looking into picking up a set of XJ seat and ZJ seat brackets and start building prototypes in the next few weeks, just need to get some of the current jobs done before I take on another.

For those MJ owners that have bench seats and wish to upgrade to buckets, the choices are fairly limited. Especially considering the age the seats will need to be in order to work. A lot of them are getting pretty ratty looking. If the brackets were able to support other options (ZJ or later XJ for example) that would be great.

Something else that would be fantastic is on the older style Wranglers, the seat tipped forward at the bracket to allow access to the rear. In many cases, such as myself, I had to replace my bench with XJ seats from a 4 door. If the brackets tipped the 4 door seat up to allow access to the jack, that would be great too.

For those MJ owners that have bench seats and wish to upgrade to buckets, the choices are fairly limited. Especially considering the age the seats will need to be in order to work. A lot of them are getting pretty ratty looking. If the brackets were able to support other options (ZJ or later XJ for example) that would be great.

Something else that would be fantastic is on the older style Wranglers, the seat tipped forward at the bracket to allow access to the rear. In many cases, such as myself, I had to replace my bench with XJ seats from a 4 door. If the brackets tipped the 4 door seat up to allow access to the jack, that would be great too.

A good majority are asking for the newer XJ and ZJ seats so I'm going to be aiming to make the brackets to make those two sets work for the time being. I'm not too sure about the tip part though, might skip that due to safety issue.

My brother and I are looking to open up a little combination shop in the next month or two where we will have tons of stock Jeep parts on hand (it's going to take a little while to build up the parts) along with a section to do fab work and general maintenance/installation of parts, the shop will be named SME Tech. We're letting you guys pretty much decide what we make so any ideas or input to stuff already out there (improvements/alterations) are appreciated and will be looked into at great depth. Right now we have the two Comanches to build parts from but will also be picking up a Cherokee later on to be basing parts off of.

I'd be interested in a set for my 86, which would allow me to convert to XJ or ZJ buckets (I currently have a bench), or a different bucket that would allow me to tip the seat forward. I think that would be a big plus on sales for you guys :yes: .

Good Luck!

-Nate

You should have seen my 275lb 6'5" friend squeeze into my MJ with rocker seats :rotf:

I would be interested in brackets that mount the seats lower.

oh hell ,did you put him in a trash compactor first ? :rotf: ??i have some free Cherokee sport in my mj -almost none of the holes on the chair base -fixed by drilling one hole on front and use extension nuts to level out the front -back is a pain with muti-hole steel bar is easy way to mount .....

You should have seen my 275lb 6'5" friend squeeze into my MJ with rocker seats :rotf:

I would be interested in brackets that mount the seats lower.

oh hell ,did you put him in a trash compactor first ? :rotf: ??i have some free Cherokee sport in my mj -almost none of the holes on the chair base -fixed by drilling one hole on front and use extension nuts to level out the front -back is a pain with muti-hole steel bar is easy way to mount .....

Not sure what your saying, are you meaning that you got the rocking chairs to work, but lower?

BTW thanks for the laugh, I needed that. (Visualizing my friend)

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry about the delay, I'll finally be caught up on work tomorrow and I'm going to be picking up a set of seats some time next week to start figuring out what is needed to make them fit in the Comanche.

The question is which set to make first, the newer XJ or ZJ seats? The plan right now is to build four different sets so that both will fit in the XJ and MJ. I'm going to be looking into making a universal type set which will fit both seats with one set of brackets if possible.

The mounting holes on the XJ and ZJ seats are not too much different. A universal set would be the best bang for your buck. I like the look of the 96+ ZJ cloth seats. They can also be easily modified to tilt forward like stock using junk yard parts. Plus they are a lot more comfortable than XJ seats.

I also need ZJ to MJ brackets for my truck! :chillin:

• 3 weeks later...

By universal, I meant that they would fit both the XJ and ZJ seats with only one track. Right now I'm not sure if this will be as I only have a set of ZJ seats (the junkyard I went to didn't have the newer style of XJ seats in there). The passenger side seat is in the works right now and from the looks of it, it'll be a complete track that bolts to the seat and floor to replace the complete Comanche track.

I'm unsure on the price for a set yet as I have emails out right now with quotes on metal prices. With the way that the track is sitting right now, I'm 6'2" and have about 5" of head room and about 4" of knee room. I'll get my brother to try them out later this week also (he's about 6'4").

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it's taking so long, vehicles keep coming in that need to be fixed.

The question for you guys. I have two prototypes built. Would you guys rather have a whole new set of seat tracks or just a set of brackets that make Comanche seat track brackets work. If it's the whole seat track way then I'll also just have the bracket kit for sale and you use the sliders from factory ZJ/newer style XJ's and bolt these brackets to that (all the bolts will be supplied along with directions).

The difference between them... The factory MJ slider is only latched on one side while the new tracks will use the latch system from the ZJ/newer XJ which latches on both sides (more positive attachment and safer in an accident). The adjustment will go from getting pulled sidewards on the MJ seat to the up action of the newer style. Both styles will take into account the height difference of the ZJ/newer XJ seats and will be adjusted down to around factory height and angle.

Price wise, the MJ brackets with the adapters will run around $50 (this is a rough estimate, might be lower) while the full tracks whille be $125-$150 (just the brackets will drop that down some but we're talking about 10-12 pieces plus bolts).

If you guys also have any other products that you'd like built, I'm more than willing to look into them, just send me a PM with the idea. I have a bunch of ideas in mind but always looking for more input.

I would like to retain the sliders on my XJ/ZJ seats. I am trying not to modify my floor. If you could make a set of adapters that would make bolting in a set of new style XJ sliders to the factory floor I would be all over them.

i've already got factory mj buckets and want to put zj buckets in it.if i used the mj bracket and adapters would everything be a simple bolt in procedure?i would like it to be a simple bolt in and no cutting up the floor.if so put me down for a set.

• 3 weeks later...