Unit bearing source brand do you recommend

Would like to hear any opinions on brands locals dealers want $135.00 for good USA ones $60.00 for china ones he says no difference he gets them both back at equal rates. I found good brands timkin and national on feebay for around $85.00 each thats the way I am leaning right now.

My current set of Chinese unit bearings has lasted longer than my last set of Timkens. And the mom-and-pop parts store where I bought them said if they ever go bad, bring them in for free replacements, no questions asked.

And I have no problem if I do have to replace them once in a while. After you've done a few unit bearing changes, they get to be pretty fast and easy.

Has anyone used a slide hammer for unit bearings I got a china one at a yard sale thats never been used I can't wait to try it out.

Make sure it's the RIGHT (as in "correct") one. They are NOT all the same.

soapbox.gif i buy american when i can. "Overseas they" just reverse engineer everything that we make then sell it back to us. american money shoud be spent on american companies, we import too much and export not enough. to me, timken and skf are quality products. thoes are the only "small bearing" brands i see from grain elevators to oil refinaries i work in.

:soap box: i buy american when i can. "Overseas they" just reverse engineer everything that we make then sell it back to us. american money shoud be spent on american companies, we import too much and export not enough. to me, timken and skf are quality products. thoes are the only "small bearing" brands i see from grain elevators to oil refinaries i work in.

Do you honestly believe that China produces Jeep unit bearings on their own initiative? Products that are made in China are made to their customers' specifications. And these customers are American companies.

The Chinese are perfectly capable of producing auto parts of the highest quality. They have sent men into outer space so I'm sure they can make a top-notch Jeep unit bearing. But their American customers give them a set price point, which is usually pretty low, in order to maximize profits.

I used to work for an American athletic shoe company and we had factories in China and Korea. So I have seen this first hand. We would tell the factories to skimp and cut corners in order to reduce costs, usually against their objections. The factories wanted to produce the best product they could, but we would say no.

The Chinese are perfectly capable of producing auto parts of the highest quality. They have sent men into outer space so I'm sure they can make a top-notch Jeep unit bearing. But their American customers give them a set price point, which is usually pretty low, in order to maximize profits.

Are there a lot of interchanging MJ parts with the Chinese space shuttles?

:soap box: i buy american when i can. "Overseas they" just reverse engineer everything that we make then sell it back to us. american money shoud be spent on american companies, we import too much and export not enough. to me, timken and skf are quality products. thoes are the only "small bearing" brands i see from grain elevators to oil refinaries i work in.

Do you honestly believe that China produces Jeep unit bearings on their own initiative? Products that are made in China are made to their customers' specifications. And these customers are American companies.

I used to work for an American athletic shoe company and we had factories in China and Korea. So I have seen this first hand. We would tell the factories to skimp and cut corners in order to reduce costs, usually against their objections. The factories wanted to produce the best product they could, but we would say no.

quality or not, they are made there because labor is so cheap. personally i would rather put food on a americans table than theirs. and i understand that some american companies have their products made over seas, but thats all for the fact that they are trying to get the most profit for themselfs. i support the companies and people that choose to keep producing items in :USAflag: ill pay a little more to have pride in my country than skimp out for a few bucks, and have an american lose a job cause not enough people buy the rare products made here at home.

Like you said, labor overseas is cheap, so you're really not putting that much food on their tables. ;)

By buying foreign made goods, you're supporting the dockworkers...who are American. You're supporting the truckers...who are American. Company XYZ, the importers of auto parts is located somewhere in the Midwest. You're supporting the company and their employees and families...who are American. These are the people whose tables you're putting food on.

There's nothing wrong with preferring to buy products made in the USA. But that is sadly becoming the exception rather than the rule. Some people blame this on American unions. Others will blame the greed of American companies. But in many cases, with the way the economy is today, American companies often no choice but to outsource production, just to stay in business. In any case, there's no reason to be xenophobic.

SKF (Swedish) and INA (Germany) bearings are IMHO the best bearings made. I always use these if they make one for my application, and it usually can be found in their cross reference tables. KOYO & NTN (Japanese) are a close quality second. All foreign manufacturers, and all have offices and manufacturing facilities in the US. Timkin and National are arguable the best of the rest. I haven't knowingly used Chinese manufactured bearings, but with all the outsourcing I'm sure I have. I have no problem using Chinese manufactured bearings (or anything else) but only after doing my quality research. :cheers:

i have heard this one before and it very true -i have some tools from china -fit and finish is very good so far no broken one at 25 years still running strong ....the bottom line crap or the deal of cheap from the glory of the minute to hours of pains !!!

Like you said, labor overseas is cheap, so you're really not putting that much food on their tables. ;)

Some people blame this on American unions. Others will blame the greed of American companies. But in many cases, with the way the economy is today, American companies often no choice but to outsource production, just to stay in business. In any case, there's no reason to be xenophobic.

i could really care less what xenophobic means and i won't even bother looking it up, i know my role in life and don't need to search a dictionary to find words so i sound intelligent. yes companies have to outsource, due to greed, expensive labor, AND lack of customers buying their product for the plain fact that they can get it a few bucks cheaper from a chinesse brand. I'm union, local 96 millwright. without unions the work force pay would suffer even more than it is now, everywhere. its sad to see so many americans happy to buy so much chinesse/japanese products.

I usuallly leave the nut on the axle untill the hub is out of the knuckle. That way it all stays together. The slidehammer sounds like a good idea, if you have the right flange adapter. I usually just knock them out with a 2 lb hammer. Then use a 1/2" impact to take the nut off.

I had bought a National one that lasted six months. The warranty replacements lasted 7. Then I moved to a Timken one and after a year and two weeks it failed catastrophically causing me to loose my passenger front wheel while going 60mph down I-77. Took out axle shaft, u joint, ball joints, steering knuckle, brake rotor and caliper in the process causing me to be without my toy for about a month and lay out over $100 to put the axle back together.

I now get used OEM ones from the junk yard for $7. They seem to last longer.