Project "Eliminator"

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So how you like them? how did you spot yours? For me I spoted them at the front of the back tires and the back of the front tires so I had a direct line of sight with the spot for when I'm looking out the window I can easily see what my tires are driving over or on.

• 2 weeks later...

id stick with stock shafts in that 30. id rather break those all day long then a R&P. driveshafts are also a common fail once you do that as well

thats the plan. much rather snap a u-joint and fix it then ruin my whole weekend with a busted R&P

I'm gonna run this front axle this year and decide if i should upgrade in the winter.

It's not like it is going to explode as soon as you put it in low range. Just use your head while wheeling. Will things eventually break? Of course, but that is no different than any other part of the rig. I've broken plenty of shafts and a ring gear and wouldn't hesitate running 35s on a D30 again.

Willy

It's not like it is going to explode as soon as you put it in low range. Just use your head while wheeling. Will things eventually break? Of course, but that is no different than any other part of the rig. I've broken plenty of shafts and a ring gear and wouldn't hesitate running 35s on a D30 again.

Willy

i agree. hell i have wheeled with guys on 37s with a D30.

I have wheeled with 35s on a D30 for three years. I'm done with the D30! Tired of losing wheels on the highway, depleting 4 junk yards of good unit bearings (the one that caused me to lose my wheel, incidentally was the last one I bought new, Timken brand) and axle shafts, ripping control arm mounts off the axle and rebuilding pumpkins/replacing the entire housing.

Over those three years I have gone through 4 axle housings, three gear sets, multiple pinion bearings and countless shafts, u joints and unit bearings. If I add that up I could have had a D60 under there long ago.