tire rubbing

I just put in my "new" ford 8.8 rear end yesterday, and today on the way to school and back home it felt as if my rear tires were rubbing. well I checked and they are. Is the way to fix this with wheel spacers? Ive read very little on them and am not sure. Also what brand of them have ya'll used? Thanks

Brandon

I just put in my "new" ford 8.8 rear end yesterday, and today on the way to school and back home it felt as if my rear tires were rubbing. well I checked and they are. Is the way to fix this with wheel spacers? Ive read very little on them and am not sure. Also what brand of them have ya'll used? Thanks

Brandon

spidertrax spacers or just get some 3.75 backspaced rims

Ok thanks guys I REALLY don't want to get new rims I LOVE my rims will be able to get any real good flex with just spacers? I also talked to the 4x4 place and He said he has been using a guy thats in Tampa Bay for years now and makes really good stuff. He also said they will be about 100 bones dose that sound right? and do they come in different sizes? If so what size would I be looking for? Thanks!

Brandon

I run 4 Spidertrax spacers on my TJ because I wanted to maintain the factory wheels. Been on for 3 years and have not had any issues. I daily drive it.

Hub-Centric is in reference to the design of the hub and wheel and how the weight is carried.

Some wheels have a large center hole and the lug nuts have to center the wheel on the hub. These are not hub centric. A hub centric wheel has a center hole with an inside diameter the same size as the hub outside diameter. This way the wheel is centered on the hub and the lug nuts just hold it on. Most factory wheels are hub centric, but many aftermarket wheels are not.

Thanks ill talk to him about them two also and see if they are anodized. If he says go with them then ill be on them two like nothing else. :D

Brandon

Brandon -

Motion Offroad is a professional in the 4x4 business. When he says spacers are not something to mess around with, he's not kidding. Unless your guy is selling one of the two brands recommended, in all seriousness ... DO NOT BUY THEM. Those two brands are the only two brands you will see consistently recommended by Jeep people who know what's good for Jeeps. Personally, I would NEVER trust my life to something made up by "some guy in Tampa, Florida."

Spacers are made of aluminum. Aluminum is funny stuff ... it likes to fall apart. That's why Spidertrax and AlloyUSA spacers are anodized -- to resist corrosion. Fortunately, I've been spared watching any wheel spacers self destruct, but a few years ago at a NAXJA-NAC event at Paragon, one of the guys had a Cherokee that used aluminum blocks as lift spacers. He took it on one of the more difficult trails, and the stress turned BOTH spacers into a mix of small chunks and aluminum powder.

This is what you need: http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.18/.f

media.nl?id=637&c=407909&h=55bc8cff82a6b475bc09

Well the guy owns the place and from what I know of him I think he knows what hes talking about when it comes to MOST things 4x4. IF he says this guy that he uses makes just as good of a product then why would I want to sit on my hands and wait for some to come in the mail for me? It is a serious problem that I have that needs to be taken care of. I use my truck as a daily driver and the more I drive it like this the less safe it gets. If I need to I will go with the ones you guys told me to but if the I go with the ones the guy tells me to then That I will. That you very much for your opinions

Brandon

Well the guy owns the place and from what I know of him I think he knows what hes talking about when it comes to MOST things 4x4. IF he says this guy that he uses makes just as good of a product then why would I want to sit on my hands and wait for some to come in the mail for me? It is a serious problem that I have that needs to be taken care of. I use my truck as a daily driver and the more I drive it like this the less safe it gets. If I need to I will go with the ones you guys told me to but if the I go with the ones the guy tells me to then That I will. That you very much for your opinions

Brandon

Just because the guy has a shop does not mean he knows what he is talking about. No offense against Floridians but most really don't know jack about the stress put on a 4WD rig. Playing in water and mud is one thing. Driving on the street daily is another thing all together.

If you want to see some scary stuff that goes on in FL, look up Chuck's Trucks and Trucks Gone Wild. Those are some prime examples of hack job trucks.

If you honestly need your truck that bad and can't wait to get spacers do one of the options until they come in.

1. swap the stock axle back in

2. borrow a set of smaller tires

just do me one favor. if the guy says he can make them (he has a CNC machine?), ask him which aluminum alloy he'd be using. then report back. :thumbsup:

Hes not making them he's getting them from a supplier in a near by city.

Brandon

Just because the guy has a shop does not mean he knows what he is talking about. No offense against Floridians but most really don't know jack about the stress put on a 4WD rig. Playing in water and mud is one thing. Driving on the street daily is another thing all together.

If you want to see some scary stuff that goes on in FL, look up Chuck's Trucks and Trucks Gone Wild. Those are some prime examples of hack job trucks.

If you honestly need your truck that bad and can't wait to get spacers do one of the options until they come in.

1. swap the stock axle back in

2. borrow a set of smaller tires

Ive allready got street tires from a friend on there :( and I know chucks trucks I go on there all the time. I really do under stand what your saying. You never know about a unknown source of a product supplier. I will let you know To day on how it all gos. Thanks alot guys

Brandon

yup. can't have too much tire exposed. It's a safety thing. :thumbsup: exactly how much you can get away with depends on your local ordinances and the mood of the cop. Those spacers shouldn't really affect anything. They merely make the rear look like the fronts.

Hornbrod added spacers to the rear of his truck.

my truck with it's fullsize axles is no where near legal, so I added big ol' flaps in an attempt to appease johnny law.

I also made flare extensions for if I ever needed to drive it regularly on the street.

Thats cute Pete, I like how you just try and hid them behind a bit of plastic while driving one the road. But Man your truck looks great! I just ordered some spacers from who the guy at the 4x4 place recommended. I also asked all of the ?'s ya'll have asked me to ask and it looks like they check out. He said that They are just like the Spidertrax spacers just not painted. He also said the place is newer (5 years old) and that is why they are not as well known. Thank ya'll so very very much! I just hope my tires don't end up sticking out as much as Pete's dose lol Ill also get pics up on how they look on the truck.

Brandon

why would it matter if its painted blue or red or any thing?

Eagle already answered it...

Spacers are made of aluminum. Aluminum is funny stuff ... it likes to fall apart. That's why Spidertrax and AlloyUSA spacers are anodized -- to resist corrosion.

This is one of those deals where your life and others depend on that part to survive. I have seen a few postings on jeep forums in the relatively short period of time I have been Jeeping, where somebodys wheel studs sheared off on the road. Once due to the owner using washers as wheel spacers and once due to the owner using cheap wheel spacers.

Do it right. At least for the sake of your truck and your safety.