I need a little help on my term paper, it's about jeeps

hick92

The first thing often called a jeep was the WWII GP 1/4 ton truck. It was never officially a "jeep." Arguably then the first jeep was the 1945 Jeep CJ2. Only a few hundred were made and the 1946 CJ2A is what most people believe to be the first. Originslly, the Willys-Overland Co. produced jeeps. 9Willys is pronounced Willis as in "what you talkin' 'bout, and not Willees as you generally hear it.) The jeep line included the CJ, a wagon, a pick-up, a 2dr spoirts car, the VJ, and eventually a forward control pick-up, delivery van, even versions fitted with back-hoes. Kaiser took over the jeep line and in 1963 intorduced what is widely considered the first SUV: the Wagoneer. In a shock to most jeepers, it was available with a Dana 27 IFS front axle as an option. A truck, the Gladiator series, was built off of th esame basic architicture and remained amazingly similar until it was disco'd in '87. Same with the Waggy but it remained until '91. Kaiser modernized the engines with a decent inline six and a 327 V8, but not a Chevy! They bought the rights and tooling from GM for the 225 cid buick based V6 and this became the optional cj engine until 1972. This engine was not really a buick at the time as it was not produced by GM, the rights and all were owned by Kaiser. GM eventually bought th erights back and this engine forms the basis for th ecurrent 3800. Kaiser did replace the 327 with a Buick 350 purchased from GM in the FSJ line. The 1971 purchase of jeep by AMC led to the AMC I6 (232/258) that are basically the 4.0 used later. The AMC 304/360/401 made their way into the jeeps, with only the 304 used in the CJ. Things did not chnage much until CHrysler bought the company in the late 80's. Chrysler eventually sold to Daimler Benz who changed their name to Daimler Chrysler. Technically, jeeps were german vehicles in this era. Cerebus finacial, with ties to GM through ownership of GMAC, bought the carcass after DC almost killed it. Currently a consortioum managed by Fiat owns the company.

Throughout its reign, jeep was notorius for using parts from wherever it could. Alts, trannies, ignition systems..it could be confusing. The axles have almost always been based on Dana Corp stuff, though. The Model 20/23 was in-house, as is the 8.25.

Jeep is first cousin to the Humvee. It was created by AMC's government contract wing, AM General. The diffs used were evn based on the AMC model 20. Chrysler did not buy AM general with AMC and then tried to sue AM General for the hummer's jeep-inspired 7-slot grill. t became an issue when GM bought licensing rights to the Hummer name for the GMT900 Tahoe-based H2 and GMT-355 Colorado-based H3.They lost as, at the time it was designed, AM General had the rights to it through their parent, AMC.

I'd stay clear of using the internet for sources. Most of the teachers I had did not like that.

Even using CC for sources might be a little bit iffy to the stricter ones... Stay with published material. Anyone can write anything on here if they really want to. I'm not saying I don't trust people on here, I'm just saying that teachers might not think we are a credible source for information...

Even wikipedia got a bad rap from my teachers.

I hope you're not surprised by this. Wikipedia has to be one of the most unreliable information sources on the internet. Most teachers will toss your paper out without even reading it if you cite wikipedia. Every single one of my teachers had a 15 minute speech on the bad things that will happen to you if you use wikipedia for a paper.

Citing internet sources is fine as long as they can be credible. Forums will most likely be laughed at by the teacher, though.

this teacher aint very strict at all she said all i have to do is just turn in somthin so i don't get a f

Oh boy. I'm guessing your not working on a thesis for a masters degree in Engrish, right?

All kidding aside, why don't you tell us a little bit more about the assignment, that would be helpful.

I hope you're not surprised by this. Wikipedia has to be one of the most unreliable information sources on the internet. Most teachers will toss your paper out without even reading it if you cite wikipedia. Every single one of my teachers had a 15 minute speech on the bad things that will happen to you if you use wikipedia for a paper.

Actually, some of my professors liked to see a variety of Wikipedia sources... Granted those were courses regarding Design Theory, which is nothing but a whole lot of washed up opinions anyhow. The kicker, these were professors in my graduate program. Of course none of those Wikipedia theory sources could be included in my thesis, but they did a good job at providing information so I could find the root source and utilize that.

"Jeep" as defined by Merriam-Webster:

1 - jeep noun \ˈjēp\

Definition of JEEP

: a small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase, 1⁄4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the United States Army in World War II; also : a similar but larger and more powerful United States army vehicle

Origin of JEEP

probably ultimately from Eugene the Jeep, character in the comic strip Thimble Theater by Elzie C. Segar

First Known Use: 1940

2 - jeep verb

Definition of JEEP

intransitive verb

: to travel by jeep

First Known Use of JEEP

3 - Jeep trademark

Definition of JEEP

—used for a civilian automotive vehicle

And the from Merriam-Websters Learner Dictionary

Meaning:

—used for a small truck that can be driven over very rough surfaces

Actually, some of my professors liked to see a variety of Wikipedia sources... Granted those were courses regarding Design Theory, which is nothing but a whole lot of washed up opinions anyhow. The kicker, these were professors in my graduate program. Of course none of those Wikipedia theory sources could be included in my thesis, but they did a good job at providing information so I could find the root source and utilize that.

Actually many wikipedia articles for technical subjects are quite accurate, since highly technical concepts, like transesterification of oils, and droplet formation of injected liquid in a internal combustion engine, are usually written by highly technical people.

The upside to it being written by highly technical people is that they almost always include their source, since after all they just wrote a thesis on the subject and they have all their sources collected for that purpose.

Now it degrades as you get into a more subjective issue, like modifying a jeep.