Looking for the cheapest, yet effective lift.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31" tires will fit a stock MJ, but ZJ V8 front coils, and some Chevy drop shackles in the back will give you what youre looking for. Make sure to do an alignment after you do the lift, as it will screw up the toe in your steering, and maybe make your steering wheel off center. And for whoever does the alignment, make sure they adjust your caster too. Good luck!

31" tires will fit a stock MJ, but ZJ V8 front coils, and some Chevy drop shackles in the back will give you what youre looking for. Make sure to do an alignment after you do the lift, as it will screw up the toe in your steering, and maybe make your steering wheel off center. And for whoever does the alignment, make sure they adjust your caster too. Good luck!

Bingo.

V8 ZJ coils up front, chevy (88-97 c/k 1500)2" drop shackles in the rear.

OR: ZJ coils plus Camaro isolater, 3" AAL in back.

OR 3" coils up front, 3" AAL in back

OR 3" coils up front, 3" Hell Creek leaf pack in back.

For a minimal lift and 31's, I would go with the ZJ coils and chevy shackles. Coils are usually free, and lift shackles are $40.

that's with aftermarket rims. stock rims will prevent rubbing on the fenders, but cause a small amount of rubbing on the control arms at full turn. this is fixed with either a washer behind the steering stop, or with WJ lower control arms (the ones with a clearance bend in them).

31s on a stock 4wd MJ with stock backspaced rims:

AALs aren't the same as blocks. They arch the spring more, which lifts the truck up. SOA vehicles also gain the tiny amount from the leaf's thickness, but that's not a factor with SUA vehicles. The distance between the axle and main leaf remains the same.

AALs on SUA vehicles doesn't move the axle closer to the vehicle. AALs on SOA vehicles go between the axle and main leaf, therefore it moves the axle. On SUA, the AAL goes under the main leaf and axle. Axle remains snug against the main, so it's not moved.

I too am looking to put a 3" lift in my 86 mj longbed. I'm looking at the rough countey 625 kit. I can get it for 250ish. Questions I have are will I need to do anything to the steering? I'm trying to lift it just enough without changing the geometry. What are the best wheels as far as size and offset/backspacing. I want to run 31" or 32" tires.

This kit comes with springs all around. not the pucks for the front.

Thanks

Rough Country is a lousy company. They shorted me on parts that were supposed to be included in the kit TWICE and refuse to make it right. I am hardly alone on this issue and you can find several posts (on most every jeep website) about them. Even their biggest fanboi's admit it takes several phone calls to get what is promised. In addition, the ride of their kits sucks. I'll be dumping mine as soon as $$ premit. I listened to a fanboi and did not due enough of my own research and I really regret it.

For a $50 lift to easily clear 31's, go to O'Reilly or where ever. Get the front coil spacers for about $7/ea and a rear drop shackle for a Chevy for about $30 and you are good to go. Both are in their little suspension area.

I too am looking to put a 3" lift in my 86 mj longbed. I'm looking at the rough countey 625 kit. I can get it for 250ish. Questions I have are will I need to do anything to the steering? I'm trying to lift it just enough without changing the geometry. What are the best wheels as far as size and offset/backspacing. I want to run 31" or 32" tires.

Thanks

Stay away from Rusty's and Rough Country. I know people that went from RC to F150 coils and the ford coils rode better.

Thanks

Best wheels are stock wheels 15x7 with original backspacing of around 5 1/4", and you can't lift it and not affect the steering, if you don't get an alignment, youll eat up your brand new tires in no time! AND maybe cause death wobble! GET AN ALIGNMENT TOO! :thumbsup:

a 2" lift can be done with minimal fuss and minimal cost and you can fit 31s on stock rims. If costs are a concern, it's a good way to go. :thumbsup: Costs and headaches go up exponentially as lift height increases. Going 3"+ means brake lines, shocks, control arms, sway bar links, etc. all need to be reevaluated.

• 2 weeks later...
Rough Country is a lousy company. They shorted me on parts that were supposed to be included in the kit TWICE and refuse to make it right. I am hardly alone on this issue and you can find several posts (on most every jeep website) about them. Even their biggest fanboi's admit it takes several phone calls to get what is promised. In addition, the ride of their kits sucks. I'll be dumping mine as soon as $$ premit. I listened to a fanboi and did not due enough of my own research and I really regret it.

For a $50 lift to easily clear 31's, go to O'Reilly or where ever. Get the front coil spacers for about $7/ea and a rear drop shackle for a Chevy for about $30 and you are good to go. Both are in their little suspension area.

Tell me more about the rear shackles. What year chevy? I don't have an orileys in Mass. autozone or advanced ??

• 2 weeks later...

I found these and I think I might try them, but I'm not sure what else I'll need.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Su ... =RANRS6423

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Su ... RANRS60913

Skyjacker has similar kits but I'm not sure how the two brands compare. I'm thinking about keeping it 2wd for a while. Thats a project that I don't want to tackle right now.

Is there anything else I'll need to get to make something like this work? I'm probably going to get new shocks as well.

I'm just looking to make something work so I can sport these badass tires. :D