Looking for the cheapest, yet effective lift.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not that we know of yet. MJ shackles are pretty long. and chevy drop shackles are pretty cheap already. :thumbsup:

So should I just look for some coils and leafs in a jy?

you don't need coils and leafs for such a small lift. pucks and shackles will do the same lift and require less work and less money. :thumbsup:

any tubular control arm will certainly help as it doesn't have that lip of steel on the side to catch the tire lugs. :thumbsup: but there still might be some rub. it just won't be as loud as it would with stock arms. I've picked up a couple of pair of WJ (99-04 grand cherokee) LCAs for under 30 bucks at the junkyards.

some examples of:

spacers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-01-Je ... 3363d48b46

shackles:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-06-CH ... 3a61c18757

Zj coils are gonna be a lot stiffer and will ride ruff.

Also if you have an 86 you probably have a 2.8l or 2.5l which are gonna be a lot lighter then the 4.0 in most of these guys MJs so its gonna take less for you to get the same lift.

My 4.0l xj factory coils are huge compared to my 2.5l MJ factory coils,so I don't think you would want ZJ springs

The ZJ coils are not THAT much different. 190 vs 160. For comparison, the F150 coil (4 inch lift) is about 450.

Doing research on spring rates, there is no difference between 2.5 and 4.0 coils. Meanwhile, there are at least 25 different types of ZJ coil.

The ZJ coils are not THAT much different. 190 vs 160. For comparison, the F150 coil (4 inch lift) is about 450.

Doing research on spring rates, there is no difference between 2.5 and 4.0 coils. Meanwhile, there are at least 25 different types of ZJ coil.

I will have to dig out my stock coils and snap some pics. I always thought they were the same till I got them side by side. My 4.0l springs are huge next to my 2.5l springs.

I will have to dig out my stock coils and snap some pics. I always thought they were the same till I got them side by side. My 4.0l springs are huge next to my 2.5l springs.

There were two different coils used, regular and HD. From what I can tell, there is no difference between the HD and upcountry springs... however, as I said in the last post, there are a LOT of different coils used....

well what should I look for to upgrade the ride and add about an inch or 2 of list? I've got the 2.8L v6 with the metric tonne package so I'm guessing I've already got some bit of an upgrade in suspension due to the metric tonne package but I'm looking for a little more height and comfort.

I don't know about 86 but didn't the metric ton trucks already have the ZJ/up country spring?

My old nieghbor had the metric ton package and his MJ stock sat higher then mine did stock.

I looked at my 2.5l and 4.0l springs,they could be the same rate but they are definetly different. The 2.5l MJ springs are quite a bit longer but the 4.0l xj coils are thicker.

well what should I look for to upgrade the ride and add about an inch or 2 of list? I've got the 2.8L v6 with the metric tonne package so I'm guessing I've already got some bit of an upgrade in suspension due to the metric tonne package but I'm looking for a little more height and comfort.

swap someone local for their regular 4x4 coils/leafs.

but crappy shocks will give a harsh ride. I'd start with the pucks and shackles and shocks and see what happens. if it's still rough (you bought a truck, remember?) then try for different springs. I wouldn't start there though, as you could go through a ton of effort with no noticeable change.

This thread led me to compile an OEM spring chart. See my new thread, it includes part numbers and spring codes for junkyard looking, so you don't waste money on the wrong thing.

For shocks, the factory ZJ units also work for ~1-3 inches of lift.

• 2 months later...

I just did the Rough Country 3" with nitro shocks. Got it from Red Rock for about 300.00 Thee kit was perfect. It took less time than anticipated, 3 hours all together. I'm impresses with the instructions as well. they were right on the money although I'd skip the undoing of the rear shackles, I just cut them off with a 4" wheel and spun the shock and shock mount out of the way. so much faster. I was sceptical about the rear leafs. It didn't look like it was going to add very much but it did add 2.5". Did the steering stab as well. now just waiting on the BlackRock 975's 8x15 to arrive monday so I can put on the 31" Wrangler RTS's I scored for 250.00 that were about a month old! I can't wait. now we'll see if the little 4 cyl can move this setup! lol

86MJ.jpg

all done.

3" RC kit is good. 31" Wrangler RTS's on Black Rock 975's 15x8 4'bs

all I need to do now is set the toe. it's out an inch. Can't get it to break free. soaked the bejesus out of it and a 18' pipe wrench wouldn't break it free. it's scrubbing the drivers side tire pretty good. might be time for the red wrench!

still looking for opening vent windows and a rear slider too. then it paint and done, just drive and enjoy!

alright well I was doing some front end work the other day, replacing track bar and some tie rod ends and I got to liking the height the truck sat at on the jack stands.

It was around 5" higher than it was off the stands. I'm thinking about looking for some coils and maybe getting some aal from hell creek. I'm thinking about going about somewhere between 3-4.5" in the front and try to get close to that in the rear.

If I get the coils and aals what else will I need to do to finish the lift?

The rough country kit #625 h/n is what I used. It was everything in one box. Needed nothing else. front springs, rear leafs, all the u-bolts and center pins. I bought the steering stab at the same time. I paid about 250 including the shocks although I did not go for the nitrogen shock upgrade. the whole thing took me maybe 6 hours. including drilling out a rear shock mount I snapped.

as far as height goes. between the kit and the tires I gained just about 5" total height. I went with the 31" tires which are about 2" taller than the 225's that I had.

here's one site I found who has a decient price. Look around pricing on the the kit is all over the place. I've seen it today 255-425! "research save you big money"http://4wdtruck.com/jeepparts/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=19582