Anybody gone deer huntin yet?

JACKED88

Went out last weekend and had this young 10 pointer come dangerously close to getting an arrow through him.

He was behind some bushes and a few yards out of bow range so I figured I'd shoot him with my camera. This would have been a different story if I'd had my 308.

looks great to bad you didnt get it :fs2: i don't hunt :( but my Gf's dad dose but he has not got a deer in like 2 years. he mainly just drinks alot of beer and shot at "sound targets" :roll: its kinda scary, but good hunt.

I see that you are from Texas. That means you have Muledeer right? Not whitetail?
We have both but there's only white tails where I hunt. xjrev10 is right about Texas having big white tails. The biggest ones are usually found in the western part of the state although there's been some real nice ones taken throughout. As far as mulies, there in the western part of the state ranging from Mexico all the way up through New Mexico, the Texas pan handle and north into the planes states.

gun seasin hasnt started yet in my area, and i don't bow hunt. hoping on taking my first deer sometime sooon
Same here. Bow season runs throughout Oct. and gun season runs for two full months starting the first weekend of Nov through the first weekend of Jan.

From my experiences, mule deer are pretty stupid compared to whitetails. I've spotted a few on my trips out west and whatnot, been able to walk real close to a few of them before, untamed, no whitetail would even let that happen around here.

• 1 month later...

Look what I got ......... and then let it go.

That isnt the first deer or even the first buck I've caught in on of my hog traps. This one makes at least a dozen or so. I open the door to let it out but in it couldnt find its way. Since my traps don't have bottoms, we rolled it up on one side and out through the bottom he went. (see video below)

<a href=

You may wonder why I let it go. Because I'm trapping hogs on federal land therefore I'm not allowed to hunt or shoot the deer on it. Although I have keys to the property and a permit to trap hogs, if caught killing a deer I could be arrested and prosecuted as a poacher. It would be like going into a state park and getting caught shooting a deer. No, I'm not trapping in a state park but its federal land just the same.

You may wonder why I let it go. Because I'm trapping hogs on federal land therefore I'm not allowed to hunt or shoot the deer on it. Although I have keys to the property and a permit to trap hogs, if caught killing a deer I could be arrested and prosecuted as a poacher. It would be like going into a state park and getting caught shooting a deer. No, I'm not trapping in a state park but its federal land just the same.

Here in Ohio, a number of state parks are mostly public hunting lands. Sounds like a war zone during gun season, and with some of the idiots that hunt around here, not anywhere near safe to go hiking during hunting season.

Nice Elk. I'd like to do that some day. Too bad we don't have free ranging elk in Texas. :(

We're headed out on a doe hunt in the morning. In certain counties we have a special 4 day period (26-29) when during gun season you don't have to have doe permits to take antlerless deer. We figured what the heck. You can't eat horns so we're gonna take advantage of the opportunity.