gear oil question

i know it looks pretty simple changing my rear gear oil.

take off the bolts

let it drain out

put sealant on it

put bolts back on

fill back up with fluid

am i right?

I'm just wondering if there are any tips you guys can give me so i don't make a rookie mistake.

neither of them has been changed ever

the 88 has well over 300k on it

the 88 has 93k

it should be interesting to see what comes out.

oh yeah, its real hard to navigate to find a topic on this forum.

I'm having a hard time in the search engine

i typed in, changing gear oil and nothing really came up....so

ok thanks!

Paul

i know it looks pretty simple changing my rear gear oil.

take off the bolts

let it drain out

put sealant on it

put bolts back on

fill back up with fluid

am i right?

I'm just wondering if there are any tips you guys can give me so i don't make a rookie mistake.

neither of them has been changed ever

the 88 has well over 300k on it

the 88 has 93k

it should be interesting to see what comes out.

oh yeah, its real hard to navigate to find a topic on this forum.

I'm having a hard time in the search engine

i typed in, changing gear oil and nothing really came up....so

ok thanks!

Paul

:clapping: :thumbsup:

I'd make sure to use permatex "ultra black" rtv sealant. (most oil & gas resistant)

After sealing everything up I like to wait till the next day before filling, gives the sealant

plenty of time to "cure."

Don't get crazy on tightening the cover bolts.

I'd make sure to use permatex "ultra black" rtv sealant. (most oil & gas resistant)

After sealing everything up I like to wait till the next day before filling, gives the sealant

i know about the bolts not being too torqued down

but filling?

idk what that means?????

i know about the bolts not being too torqued down

but filling?

idk what that means?????

What he means is after putting the cover back on, wait until the next day to fill the diff back up with gear oil.

Personally, I have never had a problem using either blue or red sealant and filling the diff directly after installing the cover. And I seem to be changing the gear oil about monthly because I somehow usually end up with water in at least one of the axles after a weekend off road. My daughter (14 years old) likes deep water and mud pits WAY too much.

While kinda on the topic of RTV, has anyone ever tried "the right stuff" made by permatex? I used to use Ultra Black all the time, but have switched to this stuff. Its more expensive, but come in a caulking tube and takes no time to cure either where Ultra Black takes 24 hours. I really like it, and have never had anything leak!

look at it pretty much. youll know once your in there if you have any problems. changing diff oil is a very easy thing to do. just fill it up until it pours back out, then plug. id paint up the ole cover while your at it. gives it a nice look about it :D

i also use the red RTV and have had no problems. i did wait a night before putting in the new oil though to let it cure.

Metal chunks=bad

Dirty oil=OK

Metallic flecks in the oil=wear, not necessarily a bad thing.

Changing out old oil-priceless.

BTW try less words in the search feature.IE "gear oil" instead of change or changing gear oil.

Other search topics could be: differential cover, Dana 30 oil, etc. Try not to use "ing" that makes it a verb,

not a subject.

what he said. plus if you ever can't find a topic, don't hesitate, don't apologize, just ask. that's what we're here for. :thumbsup:

My tube of black was too old to use and so I grabbed the blue silicone. guess we'll see how long it lasts before it leaks. :doh:

Both my axles looked like chocolate milk last week. Front axle has been rebuilt three months ago,, and no leaking seals. Don't know how it got in. Rear axle probably came in through the breather tube as the water was over the bed floor, so definitely over the frame rail where the breather ends.

'bout the same. for really heavy duty use, up that to 75w-140. if you have posi, be sure to grab the right additive too.

Synth is better. the big question is whether or not it matters in any specific application. if it makes you feel better to know you've got the additional protection of full synth, go for it. :thumbsup:

cold works fine. as long as you don't get hot gear oil all over you, you're good.

for removing the cover, I use a combination of driving a stiff scraper or chisel in between the cover and housing, or smacking the housing sideways with a rubber or wooden mallot. usually one technique or the other will work.

leave a couple of the top cover bolts (or at least the center top one) loosely threaded into the axle, and have a large drain pan placed underneath. Use a stiff bladed putty knife or similar tool and pry the cover loose from the side.....when the old sealant breaks free, the bolt(s) will keep the cover from falling off and sending the old gear oil everywhere but into the drain pan.

Gear oil has a unique odor, and you either love it or hate it. Use rags you don't plan on reusing if you hate the smell, it lingers ;)

Jeff