...another 'Chrysler might build a pick-up truck' story

robfg67

A version of a Jeep pickup shown to Chrysler dealers during dealers meeting in Orlando, Fla. this week, has been greenlit for production in 2012. I'll believe it when I see it!

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/j ... 96619.html

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2010 ... light.html

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/09/so ... -2012.html

I don't know why they won't tear a page out of the Scout/Bobtail Bronco/Jeep Scrambler playbook, and expand the JK line with a 1/2 cab *truck*,

but someone at Jeep must really hate the idea of Jeep dealers selling trucks,

because we're almost at 20 years without one. :(

Even Hummer recognized that there's a market for SUT's,

If Jeep came out with a bare bones, 2dr/LWB/half cab JK, with Rubi axles,

they would not be able to keep up with demand.

Same goes for a V8 JK.

No legitimate reason on Earth to NOT make it.

If it's true, it's about time. If it's not true come on!

Personally I don't like it looks far to much like a wrangler. The only way to make that truck look good imo is shorten up the bed, make it a single cab, toss on some square headlights, and add some d44's under her. Then we can talk.

it does not look ugly nore does it look the best.. It is Chrly so it will never be what a real jeep owner likes...

it will probably never happen anyway and if it did the sales will be dead in not time for a few reasons.

1 its a chrly so it will be trublesome and rot away in a few years.

2 they will make it ugly and people won't want to buy it..

3 it will be so over priced most won't be able to buy it.

and the list will go on and on..

I do like the fist link where the wrighter says he does not remeber the comanche...

it looks nothing like what a gladiator truck looks like.

call it a scrambler as its based on the CJ8 with ext cab.

If it does come out I can see an bunch of yppie tyes driving it around town going wow look what I got.

As a fellow Jeep fan I would start to say that the gladiator concept was a cool idea. That said the market for a small pickup like the colorado would be difficult because the price between a full size 4x4 and a compact is null in todays market. The colorado is a joke pickup because of the stupid inline 5 instead of the company's own inline 6. Due to crash test results the 6 was not considered. Well maybe they should have thought of that before building it!! To limit someone buying a 4x4 truck to 3500lbs of towing capacity is like giving him the keys to an AWD Ford Aerostar and saying good luck!

To build a smaller pickup now would require lots of money and all the creature comforts that cost just that. And don't forget about safety, if you don't already know our beloved Comanche is on the bottom of the safety scale. That's why my daily driver is a '06 Grand Cherokee. It's like a 4wd cadillac. You can't just charge $35k for a smaller pickup and sell it as an alternative to the Ranger or Colorado.

Just so we're clear if they build one I would consider buying it, unless they screw it up like the Commander.

Just so we're clear if they build one I would consider buying it, unless they screw it up like the Commander.

X2,

the Commander was a train wreck,

and you just know marketing looked at the sales figures for it, and said

"see what happens when we give the public what they ask for". :headpop:

i don't care what anybody says, that thing is FULGY! they need to go back with the cherokee look and take out that back window bs. ill give em credit for trying and its a okay idea of what "it would be now" but come on.

:agree: i hate the new look they shouldnt try and make the tj a truck.

that is a hoax.

that truck has been around for YEARS. it's something they built for car shows....not to produce.

old threads bring it up. it's called a "Gladiator" even though it looks NOTHING like the original jeep gladiator.

not a hoax...look it up on motortrend.com :thumbsup:

I agree on the pricing, that if it is truly more of a compact pickup, it should be priced as such.... but knowing Chrysler, and knowing how Jeeps are priced, I pretty much know that this will not happen. And that is what will keep sales low, and what will make Chrysler think that there is no market for such a vehicle. If built it will probably have the 3.8 as they are trying to run out their contract for building that engine so that they can do away with it and put in the new Pentastar engine.... and if tuned like the one Ive driven in the new Grand Cherokee.... its gutless below 3000rpm.... will make it worthless for the trail anyways. So its probably doomed from the start.

i don't care what anybody says, that thing is FULGY! they need to go back with the cherokee look and take out that back window bs. ill give em credit for trying and its a okay idea of what "it would be now" but come on.

:agree: i hate the new look they shouldnt try and make the tj a truck.

that is a hoax.

that truck has been around for YEARS. it's something they built for car shows....not to produce.

old threads bring it up. it's called a "Gladiator" even though it looks NOTHING like the original jeep gladiator.

not a hoax...look it up on motortrend.com :thumbsup:

No it is a hoax. That concept came out a few years ago, and different websites and magazines bring up stories about it now and then, but nothing has ever been produced. Hoax