XJ Light question

sinkrun

I had a 88 XJ waggy years that had headlights that would stay on for a couple mins after they were turned off great feature. Whats involved it upgrading this to a xj that did not have them?

A little relay that plugs into the fuse box, called the "headlight sentinel" someone can help me out with a pic...

Rob L.

here's an entirely different headlight question haha. if i turn my truck off before i turn off my headlights, they stay on. the buzzer turns off when i turn the headlight switch off, but the lights themself stay on. if i turn the ignition switch all the way to on then they turn off. any input?

here's an entirely different headlight question haha. if i turn my truck off before i turn off my headlights, they stay on. the buzzer turns off when i turn the headlight switch off, but the lights themself stay on. if i turn the ignition switch all the way to on then they turn off. any input?

Hi, My 89 Waggy XJ does this. The lights turn themself off after about a minute. It was strange the first time this happened to me.

It's called a headlight delay module. It's located behind the knee panel to the left of the steering wheel, the silver box in the picture below. The wiring is on p66 of the '88 Electrical manual, but everything should be plug-and-play http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12734&hilit=electrical. Just saw the years of your XJs, not sure of "newer" models.

All the XJ's have this.

It sometimes gets annoying if you turn off your lights after taking the key out when people try to flag you down to tell you your lights are on.

I can appreciate the kindness, but cmon people, I'm going into the liquor store, I don't think I'll be there long enough to have my headlights kill my battery!

Is this what referred to as 'sentry lights?' I love using this feature for the exact reason that sinkrun described above. I usually get back to my house when it's dark and much later than the rest of my room mates so I always get the parking spot furthest away from the house. I'll do this 'trick' to leave the lights on for a minute so I can see where the heck I'm going. I've avoided stepping on a rake, shovel, and a water sprinkler because of this feature...

yeah my MJ has this option, you would not believe the number of people who flag me down and tell me I left my lights on because they don't think a truck that old would have that option :brows: I like it, lets me see where I'm going after I get out of the truck.

Thanks guys I want to do this on the 96 of the wifes so when she comes home at night she can see down the drive way. I plan on installing a underground wire and light to my fence someday but this would be way easier.

Get the solar charged ones. Plug and play for @$17 each (motion sensor kind at Harbor Freight) and no wiring!