The V6 has a bad rap it doesn't deserve!! Mini rant.

Jerry

I drive a V6 MJ and it's  

17 members have voted

1. 1. I drive a V6 MJ and it's

• never let me down, I like it!
    • been hideously unreliable, I two-point-hate it!

I have a weakness :nuts: people slating the V6, it bugs the crap out o me! :fs1:

In my humble opinion and after a couple of years driving a 155k mile 2.8L V6 daily including commuting, wheeling and camper hauling across BC, I think it has an undeserved reputation soapbox.gif

My particular MJ V6 isn't "crappy", "weak", "$#!&e", "unreliable" or any of the other descriptions regulary applied to this motor on CC.

Maybe I got a "good one" :dunno: It's been strong, hasn't let me down, it has plenty of get up and go, runs super smooth, it's simple with minimal electronics and top of the list, mile for mile where my 4.0L uses 3 gallons of gas the V6 only uses 2 gallons. Even on Wikipedia it says "The new six-cylinder was also more fuel-efficient." Rubbish!! :smart: If you use your MJ daily and not just for wheeling then that difference in gas milage is important - over time that's gonna mount up, for every $600 of gas the 4.0L needs the 2.8L only needs $400. That's $200 you can spend on goodies! Or just more gas for wheeling trips comanche.gif (FYI those gas milage stats come from the aircare system reports we have to go through once a year up here in 'Bring Cash'.)

On the subject of power, we tried a side by side drag race with my better half in the 4.0L and me in the 2.8L, both of us fully lead footing it, she only started to pull ahead when the speed got silly. For normal driving, very little difference though the 4.0L is easier and much more relaxing to drive because of the 63(?) extra ponies, especially if you haul a camper ;)

I've also talked with my local time served mechanic about the GM V6 after hearing just how "Crappy" this engine is and his comment was "in my experience, it isn't any less reliable than any other engine" :wrench:

Even on CC I've seen very few threads relating to anyone having issues with the V6 :hmm:

So where has this bad reputation come from? The 4.0L is a proven great motor but that doesn't make the 2.8L bad by default!

OK, mini rant over :rant: Back to normal :waving:

What's your thoughts on the GM V6 2.8L in the Manche? image_209027.gif

2_8L_enginead.jpg

I've got 200k on my 2.8 and it still putters along pretty well. :D even better is it does that with no factory wire harness in the truck. jamminz.gif

when it comes down to it, the 2.8 really only has 3 minor issues. less horsepower than the 2.5, a problematic carb, and internal oiling design problems (that can unfortunately cause sudden and catastrophic failure) that seem to be associated with our Jeep versions more-so than the ones in chevy trucks.

upgrade parts are available. replacement parts are available. junkyards are full of potential donors. :D

I don't have any MJ'S with a 2.8. I do have two XJ'S (close) and four S10'S with the 2.8 and have never had any trouble with any of them. I think they are very reliable and economical engines and are vastly under rated by a bunch of nay sayers.

mine literally couldn't get out of it's own way. 5th gear was worthless, even with stock tires.

i got a max of 13mpg with factory carb, 15mpg with the edelbrock adapter and 2bbl carb.

I will NEVER drive another 2.8 further than it takes to get to my house and tear it out. what a piece of $#!&, there is zero power, zero mileage, and the factory design sucked for it.

I bought a new S10 w. the 2.8 from AAFES in the Philippines, and drove it for about eight years through the goat paths and rice patties there. It never let me down, ever. Shipped it back to the States w. about 90K on it, sold it, then returned to the Philippines. One day about a month later I got an email from the buyer stating the engine had locked up on him while driving on the Interstate. He was not happy. :(

I have no personal experience owning one, just a nephew's horror stories ( I witnessed) with the 2.8 in a Fiero. The thing I find curious is it is not just in the XJ world: That engine is panned across many platforms/makes/types of vehicle and has been a prime candidate for an upgraded replacement since they were a few years old. From the outside, the numbers in both power and MPG were not very impressive.

If there are no issues, why is the hate so universal?

What's the deal with the poor fuel mileage on the 2.8 then? I'm not sure what mine gets exactly, only what the aircare report says which is '10.4 liters per 100kms'. By comparison my 4.0L got '15.2 liters per 100kms', is my 4.0L bad or is the 2.8L good?

It almost sounds like Jeep were sold a duff batch of 2.8's

image_209027.gif

I have no experience with the 2.8 at all, other than the 2.8's in my two parts vehicles, both of which came with the 2.8, both of which appear to have died with less than 150,000 miles on them. The one in the MJ, the PO tore down to find a spun bearing, the one in my XJ parts truck has yet to be torn down, but appears to be well locked up. There has to be something to its bad reputation, because the evidence is too large to just be consequential. I do plan on building the MJ with all the parts from the XJ, but with a 3.1, or 3.4 swap. GM adressed its shortcomings, and thus any mechanic working right now would probably only really see later model ones that didnt have as many issues, as the early ones are mostly all blown up by now. But you can't just say that its bad reputation isnt deserved.

Luke, you just proved that the 4.0 gets more kmpg than the 2.8.

They get crappy mileage because gm screwed up the design, and amc decided on carbed, and the government stuck their noses where it didn't belong and required emissions BS that robbed what little power the 2.8 had anyways

The evidence is obviously out there that it was a poor design, I'm just trying to figure out what the evidence is and is it real. When they go bad what happens? Siezing through lack of oil flow seems to be the most mentioned so far.

They get crappy mileage because gm screwed up the design, and amc decided on carbed, and the government stuck their noses where it didn't belong and required emissions BS that robbed what little power the 2.8 had anyways

I think you must have misunderstood the gas mileage description Jeepco. It converts to 22.62 miles per US gallon for my V6 compared to 15.47 miles per US gallon in my 4.0L. That's a considerable difference in the V6's favour and definitely ain't crappy mileage in my humble opinion! Anyone know what mpg the 2.5L gets for even better comparison?

I don't understand this either, if the 2.5L motor gave as much power as the V6 what was the incentive for anyone to buy the V6 over the 2.5L? They were sold at the same time weren't they? '86 - '87?

The evidence is obviously out there that it was a poor design, I'm just trying to figure out what the evidence is and is it real. When they go bad what happens? Siezing through lack of oil flow seems to be the most mentioned so far.

I think you must have misunderstood the gas mileage description Jeepco. It converts to 22.62 miles per US gallon for my V6 compared to 15.47 miles per US gallon in my 4.0L. That's a considerable difference in the V6's favour and definitely ain't crappy mileage in my humble opinion! Anyone know what mpg the 2.5L gets for even better comparison?

I don't understand this either, if the 2.5L motor gave as much power as the V6 what was the incentive for anyone to buy the V6 over the 2.5L? They were sold at the same time weren't they? '86 - '87?

Pat, the mileage in Metric is weird. Instead of Gallons used per Mile, its How many liters are used per 100 Kilometers. So a lower number is better.

Luke, I think the incentive was really just the V6 is better than I4 mentality, as was the torque. The V6 has the L4 on torque, and thats more of a "Seat of the pants" measurable thing. I bet the @$$-dynomometer preferred the V6 back in the day.

Rob L.

The 2.8L has a bad rep because it has a much higher failure rate than the 2.5L & 4.0L - plain and simple.

I've owned many different vehicle platforms and each one had their 'bad apple' engine, so to speak. There was always a fellow like yourself that would pipe up and come to the defense of said engine, but the stats don't lie. There was an inherent problem with how the oiling system was designed. I owned an '86 MJ with the 2.8L V6 and it spun 3 out of its six rod bearings due to an oil pump failure.

yup. random total catastrophic failure. bang. kinda puts a damper on anyone's day. :(

yup. random total catastrophic failure. bang. kinda puts a damper on anyone's day. :(

What are these upgrades you speak of Pete? Might save a few people the embarrassment of exploding at the next wheeling meet :D

Side note. I've owned 2 mj's with 2.8's and one xj.

The xj had a bad motor at 90k, and the parts mj had 200k. The 3800 had 60k and was on it's second motor (reman late model with better oil passages). By 66k that 2.8 was dead

When the one mj went to scrap I removed all fuids, dropped a brick on the gas pedal, and let it run til it seized. It started before it was picked up next day.

It's a horse a piece, but 2 out of 3 left me hating them. Replaced it with a buick 3800 series 2 and only regretted blowing ax5's after that

The 2.8 is a dog by anyone's measure. If it weren't for these 4:10 gears, I doubt it could push these 31's so well.

I get good mileage - about 16 in town and nearly 18 on the freeway at 70mph with 4:10's in 5th, and over 20 at 55-60mph. I use my own synthetic blend by stuffing it half and half with Valvoline synthetic and non synthetic. It seems to take care of the oil passages part, and it only adds a few bucks to the oil change. She runs cool, and was happily chugging along in 100* weather last week. I wasn't happy, tho - NO AC. Ugh. I am moving up to Oregon now, though, so goodbye Cali. The only good thing about a 2.8 is when it dies, you can easily find 3.1's and 3.4's. The swap part may not be so easy, but at least it is possible.

:hmm: This defence of the V6 wouldn't be because yours is for sale on CL and your not getting any offers ? :cheers:

I ain't that shallow, just digging to find out why some people have such a loathing for the motor when my experience has been so different . . . . so far :yes:

I know people who are hard-core defenders of the D35, as well, even though "conventional wisdom" calls them disposable. Just another case of " you rmileage may vary..." :D

These are mostly the same people who have dumped thousands into polishing their turd. I love watching them go from being all butthurt about people calling their axle junk to "help my axle blew up can someone sell me a better one for fairly cheap, gotta get to work" to "d35s suck" all in a few short weeks.

There is one guy in particular on NAXJA who put like 1200 bucks into fixing his d35 for the second or third time simply because his mechanic fixed it without asking, instead of giving him a quote, and on top of that another 700+ for a disc brake kit, plus gears, and other stuff... after me and at least 3 other people offered to take him to a junkyard, get him a 29spline 8.25, and install it in the parking lot for anywhere from free to half the mechanic's price, the very next weekend. I wasn't sure whether to call him an idiot or feel sorry for him.