The V6 has a bad rap it doesn't deserve!! Mini rant.

Jerry

I drive a V6 MJ and it's  

17 members have voted

1. 1. I drive a V6 MJ and it's

• never let me down, I like it!
    • been hideously unreliable, I two-point-hate it!

Had a TBI 2.8 in a 86 S-10 Blazer. Tha wife put over 200,000 miles on it and the only thing I had to do to tha motor itself was replace tha water pump and intake gasket. It was still running fine when we traded it in on another vehicle. No, it wasnt tha fastest nore did it have a lot of power for pulling but as a daily driver in my opinion there's nothing wrong with tha 2.8's. Like any other engine, it all depends on how you drive it and how you maintain it.

Anything mechanical can die under any circumstances. I have seen equipment babied to the extreme fail in less than half it's expected life span. I have seen equipment so horribly abused it had no business running, but it did, quite well in fact. Statisticly (you correct the spelling. I got tired looking) you can prove anything is a piece of junk, D35, 2,8, BA10 etc. But if someone has one with 200,000 miles on it you're just gonna have a hard time changing their minds. I have never had any of the above named items fail on me and I am hard on equipment, but if one of them did then yes, I would probably replace it with a better version. soapbox.gif

That's the boat I'm in right now... I'm running a 4.0 that has run on 1.5 quarts of oil multiple times at highway speeds at the moment. Stupid thing keeps leaking it out the RMS and occasionally I forget to check the level for too long :dunno:

also have a d35 in service that's got 227k on it (and counting), I have the replacement ready to go in and 3 other vehicles I can drive to work instead so I'm just running it into the ground. When it dies, an 8.25 is going in instead.

The AW4 in the MJ also has no business remaining functional, it's got 227k on it with no rebuilds and was run low on fluid by the previous previous owner, when the previous owner bought it the fluid was so dirty and burnt it looked like way-overdue motor oil. Yet it withstood me hammering down and accelerating to 90mph going uphill through the mountains of Pennsylvania in 80-90 degree weather with 3/4 ton of junk in the back, and continues to run perfectly.

I guess what I am saying is... if you have AAA, another car, and the parts ready to dump the busted junk as soon as it happens, more power to you, run known-bad parts till they fail. Otherwise, kick that V6, pukegoat, or turdy-5 to the curb before it kicks you!

That's the boat I'm in right now... I'm running a 4.0 that has run on 1.5 quarts of oil multiple times at highway speeds at the moment. Stupid thing keeps leaking it out the RMS and occasionally I forget to check the level for too long :dunno:

also have a d35 in service that's got 227k on it (and counting), I have the replacement ready to go in and 3 other vehicles I can drive to work instead so I'm just running it into the ground. When it dies, an 8.25 is going in instead.

The AW4 in the MJ also has no business remaining functional, it's got 227k on it with no rebuilds and was run low on fluid by the previous previous owner, when the previous owner bought it the fluid was so dirty and burnt it looked like way-overdue motor oil. Yet it withstood me hammering down and accelerating to 90mph going uphill through the mountains of Pennsylvania in 80-90 degree weather with 3/4 ton of junk in the back, and continues to run perfectly.

I guess what I am saying is... if you have AAA, another car, and the parts ready to dump the busted junk as soon as it happens, more power to you, run known-bad parts till they fail. Otherwise, kick that V6, pukegoat, or turdy-5 to the curb before it kicks you!

This is another reason why the 2.8L V6 is looked at as the red-headed step child. When there are options out there such as the 4.0L, AW4, AX-15, and D44, they make all of the other Jeep blunders (2.8L, BA-10/5, D35) look foolish. If Jeep had only offered the 2.8L with a BA-10/5 and a D35 we'd probably just come to terms with our crappy drivetrains. Although a 2.8L would make a BA-10/5 and a D35 look pretty stout ;)

This is another reason why the 2.8L V6 is looked at as the red-headed step child. When there are options out there such as the 4.0L, AW4, AX-15, and D44, they make all of the other Jeep blunders (2.8L, BA-10/5, D35) look foolish. If Jeep had only offered the 2.8L with a BA-10/5 and a D35 we'd probably just come to terms with our crappy drivetrains. Although a 2.8L would make a BA-10/5 and a D35 look pretty stout ;)

I have to say, an '84 with the V6, 2wd, BA trans, D35, 215 tires, and baby blue interior would make a fairly laughable/effluent 24 Hours of Lemons contestant...

Anything mechanical can die under any circumstances. I have seen equipment babied to the extreme fail in less than half it's expected life span. I have seen equipment so horribly abused it had no business running, but it did, quite well in fact. Statistically (you correct the spelling. I got tired looking) you can prove anything is a piece of junk, D35, 2,8, BA10 etc. But if someone has one with 200,000 miles on it you're just gonna have a hard time changing their minds. I have never had any of the above named items fail on me and I am hard on equipment, but if one of them did then yes, I would probably replace it with a better version. soapbox.gif

I have 200k on mine. still a pile of junk. :D

Anything mechanical can die under any circumstances. I have seen equipment babied to the extreme fail in less than half it's expected life span. I have seen equipment so horribly abused it had no business running, but it did, quite well in fact. Statistically (you correct the spelling. I got tired looking) you can prove anything is a piece of junk, D35, 2,8, BA10 etc. But if someone has one with 200,000 miles on it you're just gonna have a hard time changing their minds. I have never had any of the above named items fail on me and I am hard on equipment, but if one of them did then yes, I would probably replace it with a better version. soapbox.gif

I have 200k on mine. still a pile of junk. :D

Try painting it. :rotf:

What's the deal with the poor fuel mileage on the 2.8 then? I'm not sure what mine gets exactly, only what the aircare report says which is '10.4 liters per 100kms'. By comparison my 4.0L got '15.2 liters per 100kms', is my 4.0L bad or is the 2.8L good?

It almost sounds like Jeep were sold a duff batch of 2.8's

image_209027.gif

" AIR-CARE " shows 10.4 l / 100 km for the 2.5 ,2.8 & 4.0 FWIW my 2.5 gets 11.5 (summer) 13.0 ( winter ) mixed city /freeway , have no idea why the big spread other than winter ethenol at higher ratio ? ( always buy my fuel @ Pt. Bob , I'm about a click from the border and it's $0.25 / liter less than Tunnel Town ) Good luck on the "pretty Blue " sale . :yes:

Is that in English? :D

Nay , thats the metric system we use up here , to convert to mpg : divide "282 " by liters used per 100 kilometers ( eg.- 11.5 l / 100km = 24.5 mpg ) :smart: The conversion to Euro/Metric never did get completely accepted in Canada so both SAE & metric are used :hmm: