Best tool in my garage

wallisek

I can't believe I've gone so long without a hydraulic press. I picked one up on sale this weekend at Harbor Freight. Granted it is hand-operated and not a fancy electric press, holy hell I love this thing. I just replaced a ujoint and it took me all of about one minute. Few months ago I had to replace the ujoints on my half-shafts and it tooks hours pounding away with a BFH like a giant knuckle dragging gorilla. :banana:

Nice, I want to pick one up sometime...

Another thing on my list is an arbor press. If I can pick up a good older-than-dirt arbor press I probably will skip the hydro press for a while.

Also, please, it's not a BFH, it's a Kinetic Persuasion Mallet :smart:

I bought a HF hydraulic press and Ive only used it a few times, but the problem is I don't have a garage and its assembled in my basement, so I can't do any big jobs on it, but its come in very handy for pressing wheel studs, u joints and doing differentials. Both of which I have a lot to do this summer.

I also got a HF folding shop crane, I have used that a BUNCH! I bought it in April and have since pulled 2 engines out of their vehicles, installed one, and used it to lo load 2 separate engines and transport them, and my friend used it just yesterday to pull up a giant concrete slab patio at his house. So thats probably my MVT.

My engine hoist has gotten tons of use, borrowed by friends, used it for I don't know many engines myself, use it for picking up axles and putting axles into and out of my jeep and others vehicles.

Gotten plenty of use out of it, I've also gotten a lot of use out of my harbor freight AC pump and gauges, plus, you really appreciate the working AC they give you.

How much did that run you? I've needed one on too many occasions to count..

The regular price was $129 and I had a 20% coupon so I paid just a little bit over $100. Will definately pay for iteself as I'm doing ujoints again this weekend. Had a wheel bearing pressed a few weekends back which ran $17 at the shop. Almost forgot, it was the 12 ton model shown here

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-sho ... 33497.html

my Dad's hydraulic press has been a life saver on many different occasions.

it's the reason I haven't paid for anything but sealant on an ax5 rebuild, when they only last me 1000 miles :D

the engine hoist is very convenient as well. I get much more use out of that for sure

Just a heads up,

I've seen a few threads on other boards of HF presses failing.

I think the press plates failed on the last thread I saw :dunno:

I'll see if I can find it.

(not to spoil your fun, just keep those safety glasses on, and watch your fingers. :yes: )

How much did that run you? I've needed one on too many occasions to count..

The regular price was $129 and I had a 20% coupon so I paid just a little bit over $100. Will definately pay for iteself as I'm doing ujoints again this weekend. Had a wheel bearing pressed a few weekends back which ran $17 at the shop. Almost forgot, it was the 12 ton model shown here

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-sho ... 33497.html

I picked up the 12 ton one a few months ago for $70 with a super coupon. It sure has come in handy.

I am no longer pleased with my HF press. I have tried using it several times this week and it has yet to successfully complete one press. Ive got 4 ujoints to remove, can't get a single one to break loose. And YES, I did remove all the clips and theyve been soaking in PB for days. I narrowed a dana 44 this week, cut the knuckles off and ground off the welds, it wouldnt press the tube out of the knuckle, wouldnt even budge it. Had to cut it out with a jigsaw.

Whenever I try and do anything with it the whole thing flexes and creaks but doesnt accomplish a damn thing. I don't have a torch, but may go pick one up tonight. I'm fed up with the damn thing and don't get it. These Ujoints should come right out, I usually just use a bench vice and sockets and have no problems, a 12 ton press should be easy, even on 30 year old Ujoints.

I am no longer pleased with my HF press. I have tried using it several times this week and it has yet to successfully complete one press. Ive got 4 ujoints to remove, can't get a single one to break loose. And YES, I did remove all the clips and theyve been soaking in PB for days. I narrowed a dana 44 this week, cut the knuckles off and ground off the welds, it wouldnt press the tube out of the knuckle, wouldnt even budge it. Had to cut it out with a jigsaw.

Whenever I try and do anything with it the whole thing flexes and creaks but doesnt accomplish a damn thing. I don't have a torch, but may go pick one up tonight. I'm fed up with the damn thing and don't get it. These Ujoints should come right out, I usually just use a bench vice and sockets and have no problems, a 12 ton press should be easy, even on 30 year old Ujoints.

I have found the easiest way to remove a ujoin is with a ball join press you can get at HF for $50. put it in a bench vise and use a wrench or socket & ratchet to remove them. Sometimes you may have to tap the yoke where it goes around the caps to break them loose but it works everytime.

Now to get back on topic, my welder or angle grinder is probably the best tool at home. If I'm at work I would have to say my pneumatic fan clutch tool that you use with your air hammer. jamminz.gif