My First Comanche $900

Hi everyone! I just bought a 1990 Comanche "Pioneer" for $900. It's 2wd but it has the in-line 6 cyl engine, automatic transmission, and 128,000 miles. It runs strong but needs some work. no rust, just faded paint and scratches and dents. What should be my first concern with the engine and tranny? They both run good, but I need to make sure I can drive this truck daily to and from work. Common problems?

This will just be a start as I'm on my way out the door.

These are the some of the things that both 89 and 90 needed:

Exhaust manifolds were cracked.

Blinker and lighting snafu's.

Brakes.

New vacuum lines.

Radio Speakers.

General cleaning and scrubbing.

I'm a firm believer in regular tranny fluid and filter changes.

Pulled both mine in the garage, tore them apart, took one thing at a time. Nothing really major. I've put 70k on my 2wd since it became my DD.

first things first, Change all fluids and filters and grease it. Remove wheels-drums and inspect brakes, linings, pads, drums and rotors. Replace, service as necessary. Lights, turn signals, wipers.

Two words.... rear main seal! If it isnt leaking now, it will in the future. Not a bad thing though really as it can be replaced without pulling the trans. Sounds like a good buy. Good luck building her up, and don't be afraid to ask ANY questions.

Thanks for your replies everyone! So far the truck is running good. I put a new air filter in and changed the oil. It definitely has some leaks, but nothing too big. Still searching to find where the leaks originate from. I think it's a small oil leak and coolant leak. I know it needs rims, tires, and brakes, just need to save up some money. My plan is to get it running good and then lift it and throw in a locker or maybe a full conversion to 4wd??? Any of you done that? Also, where are the best places to find/buy stuff for these things? I really would like a new bench or even buckets. Alot of XJ parts are exchangable, right?

ok, I definately have the expected rear main seal leak. I probably need to buy a gasket kit and replace them all. The problem I'm currently focusing on is sometimes the engine will almost die when slowing down to a complete stop or shortly after taking off from a complete stop. Like it's choking itself out. The air filter is brand new, fluid levels are good, so what's causing this? Fuel injectors, plugs, wires? I tired pumping the gas pedal but nothing happens. It just "putts" until it dies or I turn it off. Once dead, I put it in park, and try to start and it cranks right up with plenty of power. HELP!

ok, I cleaned the IAC with carb cleaner and also cleaned out the lid of the airbox and hose leading to the throttle body. Not sure why, but there was some nasty stuff in/on both. I didn't have time to take the throttle body off, so I just cleaned what I could reach, but it doesn't look clean deep in there. I really can't put much money in this truck right now, I just need to keep it running as a daily driver....gotta keep the miles off the Corvette!

Could be several things, but possibly a clogged cat, especially if it is original... Id definitely do plugs, wires, cap, rotor... And some seafoam

Any particular brands of plugs, wires, cap, and rotor work best with a 1990 4.0L? Also, brand of gaskets should I get?

ok, so cleaning the IAC didn't work. Sometimes the truck wants to die when trying to accelerate in 2nd and 3rd gears. I think my transmission or some component thereof is bad. It seems to always shift too quicky. Leaving me in a high gear at a low speed. What did I get myself into! :fs1: :doh:

What did I get myself into! :fs1: :doh:

A Jeep :D

Going to pass some links here for you........do some reading up, and checking a few simple things first before you run out and buy a bunch of parts -

Your tranny shifting problem -

Check the adjustment on the TV cable, that could be the cause of the shifting too quick -

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Tra ... ostics.htm

Electric diagnostic on the AW4 -

http://www.transonline.com/transdigest/ ... index.html

Complete guide to All sensors for the Renix era 4.0-

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Eng ... ostics.htm

^There is the voltage check for the IAC in that link.

Check the EGR valve for the idle dieing issue, and check the 02 sensor too.

For your parts -

Plugs, Good ole' Champions #4430 or NGK's......Don't use any Platinum plugs, the ole' Renix don't like them.

Wires and rotor/cap, I always go with the Mid-grade parts, not the cheap, get it running parts, they don't last, and cause more problems down the road. Some guy's like to buy the best, but my pockets aren't that deep :(

Gaskets, Felpro is about the best for "our" gaskets, and convert all the ole' cork gaskets to the "newer" rubber gaskets, it will same time and troubles later on.

*I just re-read your post........What tranny are you running????....I posted the info for the AW4 :dunno: *

What did I get myself into! :fs1: :doh:

A Jeep :D

Going to pass some links here for you........do some reading up, and checking a few simple things first before you run out and buy a bunch of parts -

Your tranny shifting problem -

Check the adjustment on the TV cable, that could be the cause of the shifting too quick -

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Tra ... ostics.htm

Electric diagnostic on the AW4 -

http://www.transonline.com/transdigest/ ... index.html

Complete guide to All sensors for the Renix era 4.0-

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Eng ... ostics.htm

^There is the voltage check for the IAC in that link.

Check the EGR valve for the idle dieing issue, and check the 02 sensor too.

For your parts -

Plugs, Good ole' Champions #4430 or NGK's......Don't use any Platinum plugs, the ole' Renix don't like them.

Wires and rotor/cap, I always go with the Mid-grade parts, not the cheap, get it running parts, they don't last, and cause more problems down the road. Some guy's like to buy the best, but my pockets aren't that deep :(

Gaskets, Felpro is about the best for "our" gaskets, and convert all the ole' cork gaskets to the "newer" rubber gaskets, it will same time and troubles later on.

*I just re-read your post........What tranny are you running????....I posted the info for the AW4 :dunno: *

Thanks for the info Wildman! I beleive the truck is 100% stock (1990 2wd Pioneer, Auto Trans), but I don't know for sure.I'm being completely honest when I say I'm a "newbie." I don't know anything about this stuff. I had an old '93 Wrangler with the 4.0 HO engine and it was awesome and my wife's '04 Wrangler has the 4.0 and it's awesome, but this old '90 4.0 in the Comanche is driving me crazy :nuts: , haha! Obviously I don't expect it to be perfect for $900, but it's just not reliable enough as a daily driver right now and I don't have the money to drop a bunch of money in parts. I just need it to run solid and not die on me in rush hour traffic and me being the one on the Traffic News saying "we gotta a POS broken down on I-75 that's got everyone backed up for 10 miles!" :eek:

If your running '93 and '94 HO 4.0's you should feel comfortable with the Renix era 4.0 :D

The real difference is the sensors between the two era's, but overall very similar operating systems. Like, you can take a AW4 off a '95, and bolt it to your '90 with out a hitch :brows:

Just spent some time going thru the links posted, and I would start with the TV cable adjustment, to see where that leads you to the problem.

Anytime you take a 20 year old vehicle, and rely on it as a DD, you need to spent some time in it to get it up to the reliability that you expect out of it. If it's have been neglected of routine maintenance over time, the burden is passed on to you :fs1:

On the bright side.........you could have your 15 minutes of fame as the one whom backed up traffic on the I-75 for 10 miles......... :teehee:

I agree to check the TV cable, especially since it's so easy to adjust. Another question as far as your shifting problems are concerned... is the power/comfort switch set to comfort? In this mode they will shift early, not downshift properly, and burn up a bunch of fuel in the meantime. Jeep got rid of the switch, and permanently wired the AW4 into power mode in later models due to this.

I agree to check the TV cable, especially since it's so easy to adjust. Another question as far as your shifting problems are concerned... is the power/comfort switch set to comfort? In this mode they will shift early, not downshift properly, and burn up a bunch of fuel in the meantime. Jeep got rid of the switch, and permanently wired the AW4 into power mode in later models due to this.

I understand "power," but why the hell did they label the "comfort" part? haha I assume I'm in comfort mode if the light is off, right? I pushed the power button once and the light came on, but I turned it off in fear this 20 year old beast would blow up! :yes:

If your running '93 and '94 HO 4.0's you should feel comfortable with the Renix era 4.0 :D

The real difference is the sensors between the two era's, but overall very similar operating systems. Like, you can take a AW4 off a '95, and bolt it to your '90 with out a hitch :brows:

Just spent some time going thru the links posted, and I would start with the TV cable adjustment, to see where that leads you to the problem.

Anytime you take a 20 year old vehicle, and rely on it as a DD, you need to spent some time in it to get it up to the reliability that you expect out of it. If it's have been neglected of routine maintenance over time, the burden is passed on to you :fs1:

On the bright side.........you could have your 15 minutes of fame as the one whom backed up traffic on the I-75 for 10 miles......... :teehee:

Ok, I'll check the TV cable. I don't beleive any of the sensors have ever been replaced so I'm sure they'll be needing some attention. The guy I bought it from is contacting the mechanic that "got it running" a couple years ago, so will see what he says. I would just like to know what's been replaced or repaired already so I can speed up the troubleshooting.