My First Comanche $900

I agree to check the TV cable, especially since it's so easy to adjust. Another question as far as your shifting problems are concerned... is the power/comfort switch set to comfort? In this mode they will shift early, not downshift properly, and burn up a bunch of fuel in the meantime. Jeep got rid of the switch, and permanently wired the AW4 into power mode in later models due to this.

I understand "power," but why the hell did they label the "comfort" part? haha I assume I'm in comfort mode if the light is off, right? I pushed the power button once and the light came on, but I turned it off in fear this 20 year old beast would blow up! :yes:

Yeah, the light on is the power setting, and the one you will want to use. Don't worry about it blowing up, this is actually the "normal" setting.

Haha, yeah the "comfort" setting was a poor attempt to get smoother shifts for a more "family friendly" ride. It attempts to do so by lowering the shift points and downshifting less often. This was actually pretty common among late 80s to early 90s import vehicles, especially Toyotas.... it basically IS a Toyota transmission after all.

I agree to check the TV cable, especially since it's so easy to adjust. Another question as far as your shifting problems are concerned... is the power/comfort switch set to comfort? In this mode they will shift early, not downshift properly, and burn up a bunch of fuel in the meantime. Jeep got rid of the switch, and permanently wired the AW4 into power mode in later models due to this.

I understand "power," but why the hell did they label the "comfort" part? haha I assume I'm in comfort mode if the light is off, right? I pushed the power button once and the light came on, but I turned it off in fear this 20 year old beast would blow up! :yes:

Yeah, the light on is the power setting, and the one you will want to use. Don't worry about it blowing up, this is actually the "normal" setting.

Haha, yeah the "comfort" setting was a poor attempt to get smoother shifts for a more "family friendly" ride. It attempts to do so by lowering the shift points and downshifting less often. This was actually pretty common among late 80s to early 90s import vehicles, especially Toyotas.... it basically IS a Toyota transmission after all.

Ok, cool. I'll give it a try then.

Another problem has emerged :wall: When I turn the key off, the engine keeps running! :mad: I can take the key all the way out and just watch my gas go down the drain! This doesn't happen all of the time, but when it does, it takes 10 min or more of "off, on, off, on, off on" to get the damn thing to shut off!

Anybody want to buy this thing? :help:

Anybody want to buy this thing? :help:

Yea, if you were closer, and I had the time......... :teehee:

You need to check the ignition switch, located on the bottom of the steering column for adjustment on your "new" problem.

It's as simple as loosing 2 screws, and sliding the switch up or down :D

As far as your waiting for some mechanic that worked on the truck a couple years ago to get back to you on what was done..........think about what you did 2 years ago, and try to remember :hmm:

Go ahead with that test on the TCU to test the solenoids, it could be just one or two solenoid that are not letting it shift correctly.

The power/comfort button made a HUGE difference! It actually feals like I have an engine now!

The power/comfort button made a HUGE difference! It actually feals like I have an engine now!

Question: I just picked up a 87, the comfort/power switch is busted, haven't torn into the dash yet to look it over, there are no additional light on and by the way she runs ima assume it's stuck in comfort mode...what is the best way to bypass this switch and make it power mode all the time?...if there is a thread for it a link would be awesome

Question: I just picked up a 87, the comfort/power switch is busted, haven't torn into the dash yet to look it over, there are no additional light on and by the way she runs ima assume it's stuck in comfort mode...what is the best way to bypass this switch and make it power mode all the time?...if there is a thread for it a link would be awesome

Sorry, but I'm a newbie who doesn't know jack about this stuff, haha. Just seach the forums and ask around. These poeple are GREAT at common problems, troubleshooting, and advising how to fix things.

From looking at my FSM, it looks like you just unplug the switch and splice the tan wire to the black/yellow wire :thumbsup: then install a factory fog light switch in the same opening and use it to do something cool!