So how would you feel about this?

Sir Sam

So we had a snowstorm about a week ago that was really wet and heavy, lots of downed tree limbs everywhere. A few days later my neighbors tree split in half, rather than try to heal it, they opted to have it cut down.

Now at this time it was graduation so my parents were visiting, my mom being the person she is saw the mulch they were making and decided I needed it. I said no, no way, I don't want to deal with it, I don't want to have to move a bunch of mulch I just graduated and I want to take it easy. So we got the mulch, the company backed the truck up and unloaded about half of a pretty full truck.

So we started moving a pile of mulch the size of an XJ, spent a good number of hours scattering it around the backyard. I end up just having to find places where mulch could be used I had so much, I now have a large area of my backyard(where I keep the chicken and cars) buried in about 8 inches of mulch.

Fast forward to today, I run home for a quick lunch during a break. When leaving the wife of my neighbor comes and asks me if I got the mulch for free. I say yes and she tells me she may need to take some back, and that it was her mulch. She told me she paid $250 to have the tree cut down. She also says I will need to pay her for the mulch and that she will have mike(her husband) talk to me about it.

So now I'm going, crap, I'm gonna have a pissed off neighbor who feels that I owe her money, or I'm gonna have to pay her money just to keep things civil.

What really sucks about all this is that I'm the one getting the transference of blame here, if she was expecting that after her tree was mulched she would be getting it back she should be talking to the tree company about it.

Just, arg.

Unless prior arrangements were made the mulch belongs to the tree co. They can do what they want with it. Sometimes it's better to just accept the fact that your getting the 'loving without the kissing, just to keep piece in the neighborhood. Or hope her hubby is more reasonable.

I went through something similar a few years ago. Had some neighbors who had a large above ground pool, kids grown and gone. Kept saying how they didn;t want it anymore. Told them I would take it down for the pool and the deck. After taking it down realized it was in pretty bad shape so I scrapped it, but was abe to use alot of the deck to make a fort for my kids.

Bought a new pool and built a new deck. Neighbor comes over and says his wife thinks we owe them $300 for the pool. Told him I was sorry that he felt that way, and please get out of my yard. Never spoke to them again. That is why I mostlt keep to myself. Most people are a=holes. Tell 'em to either piss off, or tell them they can come and get the mulch, but only by the wheel barrel full. No way would I let them drive on my property.

Now at this time it was graduation so my parents were visiting, my mom being the person she is saw the mulch they were making and decided I needed it.

'effin Moms.

Rob L. :rotf:

There so helpful ya know!

Got to side with jimoshel on this, she made the deal with the tree cutting service, it was theirs to re-move, you did them a big favor by taking it off there hands.

What if it was a neighbor 4 blocks away that they dumped the load at :dunno: Would your neighbor know about that, or go after them??

And, getting a tree cut down, and cleaned up for $250 was a good deal, around here, any size tree is around $500, and durn a storm.......figure a grand a tree.

If the husband confronts you, tell him your mother made the deal, and after the he said, she said, goes around enough, they'll give up on it, and you can "sell" some of the mulch back to them :D

The funny thing about all of this is I didn't even get her mulch, they dumped some off before they cut down her tree!

So the mulch isn't even from her tree? When her husband comes, explain that to him.

Tell him it's not a big deal....you understand....you've dealt with "special" people before too, and if she comes back you'll try to be as tactful with her as possible.

The funny thing about all of this is I didn't even get her mulch, they dumped some off before they cut down her tree!

Didn't know that. Did you explain that?

Rob L.

Not when I talked to her, I had just backed out of my driveway and was on the way back from lunch, caught me off guard and in a hurry to get going.

Tell them to identify which chips are from there tree and pick them out. I believe the tree belongs to the tree company and if there is a problem to take it up with them. And if he keeps if up I would tell them to go _____ themselves but I am quite a hothead and the older I get the worse it gets. I agree most people are real A holes anymore and I don't have time for them. I have had my house 6 years now and only know I neighbors name.

A friend of mine had a similar situation, but with a carpet store. She bought some carpet for her house, and when we went to pick it up, there was more than she had ordered, but they didnt want to cut it off, so they told us to take it all for the agreed amount. 6 months later the carpet store calls her up and says she owes them so much for the carpet they didnt want to cut off. She pretty much told them it was their own doing and that they could go screw themselves. People are screwy anymore! What can you do!

Tree crews ALWAYS give mulch away for free. Why? Its less they have to pay to dump their load of chips. I can about guarantee that you can call any tree service and they would be happy to dump a load of mulch/chips. Beware, most of the time mulch/chips are green and will nearly sterilize the ground beneath them. Not to mention its a giant magnet for stinging inspects and a terrible rotting smell.

We get calls all the time at the power company from people who want mulch. That is until they figure out what it really is. If you know you are going to want mulch in the spring/summer, get it delivered in the winter when the wood is all dried up.

Call the tree service who did the job. 'Splain what is happening. Have them send a letter to you, their letterhead, and explain they had every LEGAL right to give the chips to whomever they want since the tree LEGALLY became theirs when he/she signed the agreement. She, therefore, has no LEGAL claim to the chips. Use the word LEGAL a lot!

Sorry to hear that, there is nothing worse than when a neighbor puts you into an awkward situation. Buy him some beer and apologize for the mulch mix up. (Even though it wasn't your fault.) :cheers:

Maybe don't tell her that, just tell her husband that. :cheers: