STOPPAGE! (Cluth Pilot Bearing)

u can either rent/buy or build a puller or u can get a bolt that fits some what snug inside the bearing , then u fill the inside of the bearing with grease insert bolt into hole and hit bolt with a hammer , remove bolt and refill the hole with grease and repreat prosess untill the bearing comes out

u can either rent/buy or build a puller or u can get a bolt that fits some what snug inside the bearing , then u fill the inside of the bearing with grease insert bolt into hole and hit bolt with a hammer , remove bolt and refill the hole with grease and repreat prosess untill the bearing comes out

That only has a prayer if the bearing is intact. :( Mine was toast with only the outer case remaining. grease just squirted out at me when I tried that method. The rented puller from Autozone (and lots of days soaking in PB Blaster) eventually worked. :thumbsup:

Had one stubborn one that wouldn't come out with grease or puller. Finally used a small chisel and took it out in pieces. Also the grease works best if it's a bushing, Doesn't work to well if it's bearings.

*@#$% that*

The bear was in great condition along with the old clutch and pressure plate, honestly don't know why I replaced it, oh ya, the slave was leaking. Cheaper to buy a kit.

Anyways here I am up the creek again.

The output shaft seal on a 4x4 BA 10/5... I can't find one anywhere. Mine is puking out oil.

I am going to give away my old timer secret here, wet toilet paper & a punch (close to the size of the bearing/bushing hole as possible).

1) take wet toilet paper and insert it into the bushing till no more will fit

2) use hammer & punch to drive the toilet paper in, making more space

3) repeat step one & two till the pilot bearing/bushing falls out

I have been using this method for almost 20 years and it has worked every time.

\

The output shaft seal on a 4x4 BA 10/5... I can't find one anywhere. Mine is puking out oil.

:hmm: ........... :dunno:

Rockauto.com

1989 JEEP COMANCHE 4.0L 242cid L6 MFI (L) OHV : Transmission-Manual : Input Shaft Seal

NATIONAL Part # 710164 More Info {Oil Seal; Fluoroelastomers / Shaft Size=1.26" Housing Bore=1.969" Outer Diameter=1.974" Width=0.315"}

Peugeot BA 10/5 5 Spd. Manual Transmission

$12.93

NATIONAL Part # 99128 More Info {Redi-Sleeve; 1.257" x 1.263" x .315"}

Peugeot BA 10/5 5 Spd. Manual Transmission

$26.79

TIMKEN Part # 710164 More Info

Viton; 5 Spd; Peugeot BA10/5

Choose:

$4.71

Take your pick :D

OH, and you should pull the output shaft seal, and the NP231 input seal too while you doing it :roll:

Wildman, I think you read my issue in a hurry... lol.

I am looking for the OUTPUT shaft seal, my input shaft seal is okay, the adapter plate housing seal is the one I need. I have three different seal numbers in the mail on their way to my house from three different companies claiming that in fact their seal is the one that fits and that it is not for the 2wd version of the transmission. Because the one they already sent me (RockAuto), is for the 2wd Tranny. Ba 10/5 had two different size output shaft seals, one for 2wd and one for 4x4. Wierd, but true. I ordered one for an ax15, which carried over a number from the ba10/5 from somewhere else... blaa blaa, I could go on all day with it.

Thanks bros, will update you on monday over which ones fit and which ones don't./

Yes....... yes I did :doh:

Been a bad week around here :roll:

So, I'll try again, but you seam to have the parts on the way :dunno:

You know that when they list the sizes........ {Redi-Sleeve; 1.257" x 1.263" x .315"} it really not a bad idea to mic what you have :brows:

And generally when you speak of the 2wd tranny, it's the seal in the tail shaft that is listed as the 'output' seal.

I'm also thinking that the last time I ordered the output seal a couple years ago, I had to order a 2nd one to get the correct one :roll: Sorry I just don't have the seal number on hand.

• 1 year later...
I am going to give away my old timer secret here, wet toilet paper & a punch (close to the size of the bearing/bushing hole as possible).

Thank for sharing your "Ancient Chinese Secret" :yes: . I will try that next time - I will be sure to give you credit when I do!

Thanks for the tip (searching really helps), I just tried this and it worked GREAT. I figured it wasn't as messy as the packing grease method and I didn't feel like going into town to rent the puller. At first I wasn't sure if anything was happening but then noticed the bearing was not flush any longer. It takes a lot more TP thank you think.