jk 4 door Like or hate?

comanche13

my moms looking for a new vehicle and I have been trying to get her into a jeep right now we have a 1985 fj60 land cruiser but she wants something new and 4 door. what do you guys think of the 4 door JK are they built well what is there to avoid all them

Toy FJs are great vehicles with a long international rep for reliability, but in your neck of the woods the 85 60 series is prolly toast by now. :D If it's served you well, and they usually do, consider another newer FJ. :cheers:

Toy FJs are great vehicles with a long international rep for reliability, but in your neck of the woods the 85 60 series is prolly toast by now. :D If it's served you well, and they usually do, consider another newer FJ. :cheers:

Is being able to see out of the vehicle a concern at all?

Back to the original question. The only thing I dislike about the 4dr JK is the lack of power with the minivan engine. Fuel economy is gonna vary by driving conditions. If I keep the one I'm driving under 70, I can eke out 20 mpg. Push it over 70 and I lose 3 mpg or more. I can't imagine her FJ did any better than that. The longer wheel base of the 4dr is a vast improvement in ride quality and stability in bad weather over the 2dr. Best thing is to have her go and drive one.

If she gets one, have her spring for the factory remote start. But try and avoid the MyGig radio. $2000 POS.

There is also going to be a redesign of the interior for 2011. If she waits a couple of months she can see if she likes the new or old, and probably get a better deal on the 2010 version if she doesn't care.

:agree: with the lack of power. However, i feel that these are the only true jeeps that are still being built. My buddies mom has a black 4 door rubicon and its nasty jamminz.gif . 44 front and rear selectable lockers and BFG mud terrains. I like them :thumbsup:

JK's really got a bad rap but personally, I like how it sits, rides and drives. I bought a 2 door Rubicon last year. I live on a rough dirt road that suspension on that thing eats it up. It does surprisingly well on plowed frozen corn fields if your mom does that frequently on the way to the grocery.

It is a wind brick though. My daily driver is a chevy tahoe and I doubt the Rubicon gets any better gas mileage. Rubicon gets you a D44 f&r, locker, electronic sway bar disconnect, better transfer case and 4.10. Rubicon also has some funky springs and shocks that never cease to amaze me. I took it to the badlands last summer and it did very well. The engine gets a bad rap (perhaps deserved and possibly not). It is a very proven engine but it is not a muscle car. I don't think I would want a JK with any gear ratio other than 4.10. I like the 4.0 much better. But heck, I like my comanche better. But I can certainly tell the JK has 20+ years of engineering ahead of the comanche.

Personally, I don't care for the appearance of the 4 door unless it is a rubicon. Rubicons have slightly oversized tires and the 4 door looks out of proportion to me with smaller tires. And of course, for the price, you get a lot more stuff.

If you need ammo to convince her, tell her they depreciate slower than anything on the road. Have her take a look at kelley blue book for a 3 year old Grand Cherokee Limited. Then a 4 door Rubicon of the same year. One depreciates like a brick. The other only feels like one.

In all honesty I think the 4door JKs are hideous. I like the 2 doors.

But, that is about all I can complain about. Sure their motors were designed after a minivan block, but let's face it the 4.0 was inspired by the germlin.

The JK still has the heart of a Jeep and some small quirks that all jeepers expect.

Don't like the JK but want a 4 door wrangler? Just buy two TJs and cut and weld together!

This is my friend Alan's 4 door TJ, it was featured on the powerblock...

Custom 4 link front/rear, sterling 10.25 rear, dana 60 front, injected 350, etc. etc.

(and no that is not Alan in the picture, that's brandon... he's not very smart)

sorry :hijack: I thought it was slightly relevant

Have you ever spent any quality time in any FJ Sam?

It was either an FJ or a cardboard box, its hard to say because the visibility out of either is about the same.

:D :D . I agree with Sam. I didn't think anything could have worse visibility issues than some of the Chrysler products (PT, Pacifica) but the new FJ is really pretty bad with those giantic rear pillars. Almost like driving a cargo van.

The new FJ Cruisers do have visibility issues. Driven a friend's a few times and didn't really like it.

The new JK 4drs

Like and hate it. :D

SFA

Optional Front and Rear D44's

Optional Front and Rear Lockers and Sway bar disconnects

Actually fairly roomy for a 6' 350lbs guy like myself

Optional 4.10's

Dislikes

Those optionals are only available on the Rubicon models.

If you get the tow package you get 3.73 gears, so order the no tow package and just add an after market one.

Lack of a V8 option from factory.

Overall though, they do make for nice rigs and I wouldn't turn down one given to me.

If your mom wants a daily (and seeing your in Canada) with 4x4 I would say it is a solid choice.