I am UNBELIEVABLY pee ohed!

Eagle

yep' date=' and moisture will contaminate every system that has fluid in it, engine, fuel system, brakes, cooling, power steering. the trans can have condensation and moisture sitting inside it for years causing corrosion. there's almost no chance that vehicle would be a worry free great driver when put into service. if you're just that wealthy, and want to collect an xj thats never been driven then fine. i love xj's more than most. but in that case it should just continue to be stored. there is no time capsule for a vehicle, they cannot sit for years, and then be put into service and perform well.

i have a customer with a 95 or 96 saleen, it has less than 3,000 miles on it, she's spent a few thousand dollars in maintenance and suspension parts in the last year or so, because she bought it and drives it once a week in the summer. she put most of the 3,000 miles on it, and has spent probably 4-5 thousand on it, that translates to practically 1,000 bux/mile :hmm:[/quote']

:yes: I was just trying to bust jeepco's nads...........................it's what I do. :brows:

oh, no worries there. I was right, you were wrong, so there simply is no way busting nads here is going to affect me. you forget, I'm bionic.

:shake:

*shrug*. pretty simple to grasp the concept that something that's never had a chance to absorb the properties of the lubrication will become brittle and broken over time. Therefore, it will be problematic.

end of story this xj is not worth $22,000 to 99.9% of the people out there. it's a bad idea to buy something that's never been used like this, even worse of an idea to drop 22,000 on a car for a teen, when that car if damaged/totalled won't net even $8000 in insurance value.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pulled the Chrysler history for Eagle... it has been titled, and no it doesnt come with any warranty... but it did have 2 recalls performed on it in 01 and 03.

Huh?

I got your PM, but I didn't see any reference to a title. It said it was sold to a Jeep dealer in [a small town in] Pennsylvania ... which is exactly what they told me. The current seller is not a Jeep dealer, so they would not be able to offer an official warranty in any event. I wasn't concerned about that -- I don't trust dealer service anyway.

But ... I called the place this morning and they confirmed that it is gone. Their story is that the signed sales agreement isn't a contract because the final transfer hadn't taken place -- so when somebody else walked in and offered more money, they sold it to him. The State DMV says I seem to have a valid complaint so I will file the formal paperwork. I doubt I'll get the vehicle, but if I can put the dealer out of business that'll be fair.

The State DMV says I seem to have a valid complaint so I will file the formal paperwork. I doubt I'll get the vehicle, but if I can put the dealer out of business that'll be fair.

:thumbsup:

At this point I wouldn't care about the vehicle. I wouldn't want to give them my money for it even if it was still available. But, I would want to do everything legally possible to make sure that was the most painful sale they ever agreed to. :D

Willy

The State DMV says I seem to have a valid complaint so I will file the formal paperwork. I doubt I'll get the vehicle, but if I can put the dealer out of business that'll be fair.

:thumbsup:

At this point I wouldn't care about the vehicle. I wouldn't want to give them my money for it even if it was still available. But, I would want to do everything legally possible to make sure that was the most painful sale they ever agreed to. :D

Willy

Just make sure you don't spend twenty-two large in legal fees to make your point.

If you want to post the vin or PM it to me I will run it through Chrysler for you.... I'm actually in Chrysler tech training right now in Charlotte, NC but the comps they have here for us are allowing me to surf the web. Ill be checking back throughout the day.

So how did you like speed density class? :hijack:

likewise with a business. if they don't cash a check for services rendered or items sold, they're not legally bound to that sale. the company I work for is going through this trying to get money from a few mcdonald's owned by the same owner...he disagreed with our amount, sent us what he thought our services were worth (way low...less than the cost of the equipment we installed). we didn't cash it and are pursuing through the legal channels right now. if we cashed the check, we'd be cutting our losses.

But that's a different animal. That's a disputed amount. In my case, there was no dispute. The sales contract states that I gave them $1,000 as a deposit, and I wrote a check for $1,000 as a deposit. They accepted the check as a deposit. The fact that they chose not to deposit it but to use it as leverage to induce some other potential buyer to pay MORE than the asking price is irrelevant. We had a contract ... in writing, signed by their agent.

actually, that's true but not true at the same time.

if I get a check from worker's comp, presumably I have "agreed" that it's enough to cover whatever happened...however, if I don't cash it, it is not legally binding.

likewise with a business. if they don't cash a check for services rendered or items sold, they're not legally bound to that sale. the company I work for is going through this trying to get money from a few mcdonald's owned by the same owner...he disagreed with our amount, sent us what he thought our services were worth (way low...less than the cost of the equipment we installed). we didn't cash it and are pursuing through the legal channels right now. if we cashed the check, we'd be cutting our losses.

WRONG! In your first example, if you filed a worker's comp claim and signed the form, you have agreed to the terms of the claims process and/or settlement. If you cash it without appeal or objection, most courts of law will say that you have "accepted" that payment as settlement. If you feel the amount is incorrect, for whatever reason, you may refuse it and appeal, re-submit, whatever the process calls for, or, in some cases, the language of the claims process may allow you to deposit it after you have filed an appeal/claim/dispute that the amount is less than you believe it should be and pursue the difference.

In your second example, you are also WRONG! A business can't just sit on checks and claim they have no liability to a sale or service. If a contract is signed and, more importantly, an EXCHANGE or TRANSFER of goods or services has taken place, the seller/vendor can't hold the check and come back a week later and say "I want my goods back, I can get a higher price and I never cashed your check so I'm not obligated to the sale to you", or, "I decided the rate I charged for my services was not enough and I never cashed your check so you owe me $X more".

As for your company, similar to what I explained in your worker's comp scenario above, your company can likely accept the payments from the McD's franchisee as long as they notify him beforehand, preferably by certified letter, that they are being applied as partial payments only and in no way are being accepted or deposited as payment in full. I've personally been through that scenario in a business I used to run. And you said if your company "cashed the check we'd be cutting our losses". No, they'd potentially be increasing their losses. :fool:

In my case, there was no dispute. The sales contract states that I gave them $1,000 as a deposit, and I wrote a check for $1,000 as a deposit. They accepted the check as a deposit. The fact that they chose not to deposit it but to use it as leverage to induce some other potential buyer to pay MORE than the asking price is irrelevant. We had a contract ... in writing, signed by their agent.

Eagle, you've been around the block a lot more than most of us so you probably already know that the fine print of the contract probably states that a deposit only means one or more of the following: a) gives you the "right to purchase" at the agreed upon price once FULL and FINAL payment has been made; B) you have a specified amount of time to make the full and final payment, or the contract is void and/or the dealer can continue to offer it for sale; c) the dealer reserves the right to sell it to a qualified buyer at any time.

Eagle,

Saw this 2001 on ebay 77,000 miles auto with what looks like a selectrac transfer case 20th picture down. As I recall my wife's selectrac had green and yellow on the shifter plate, and it looks like that one does to.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-Jee ... 20b05a8a18

Repainted front header and grill, not that its a reason not to buy it, just pointing out the obvious.

Thanks for the lead, Doggy. Price is good ... too good. Looks to be a Sport based on the trim and painted upper flares, but there are NO "Sport" decals. I'd guess it's a rebuilt wreck and I'm not willing to take a chance on something like that when it's too far away for me to inspect closely, up front and personal.

Thanks for the lead, Doggy. Price is good ... too good. Looks to be a Sport based on the trim and painted upper flares, but there are NO "Sport" decals. I'd guess it's a rebuilt wreck and I'm not willing to take a chance on something like that when it's too far away for me to inspect closely, up front and personal.
I'll keep an eye out as I also feel the selectrac XJ or 4.0 selectrac ZJ are ideal for safety especially for a new driver. Keeping an eye out is easy for me these days as I continue to search for a car for my wife.

Eagle, I also did some looking, and out of curiosity looked for the lowest mileage Limited I could find, regardless of location. AutoTrader and Cars.com showed a couple at the 60k mark and several in the 70's. Prices were $9's-11k. I also was able to find out that the avg. wholesale price for "excellent" condition Limited XJs, w/an avg. mileage of 78k, were bring roughly $6 grand at auction (I have access to auction #s :brows: ). Normal markup is gonna be $2-3k. I still say you make the jerks at the place that pulled the mat from under your feet go buy you one at straight wholesale INCLUDING extended warranty and reconditioning it to as new as possible. :redX:

They are supposed to be mailing back my check. When I get it, I have downloaded the DMV complaint form and I will be filing a formal complaint. According to the DMV inspector I spoke with at the main complaint office, any resolution will be determined by the inspector assigned to the case.

Turns out they just don't have a clue how to tell the truth ... to anyone. I stopped by the dealership yesterday to pick up clutch parts for the '87 MJ. The guy who had passed my name on to the used car place wasn't there, but the other guys knew about the referral and that the XJ had been sold. Now, remember, I agreed to buy it at the full price on their PRINTED stock list, and they used my contract to induce somebody else to pay more. They told one of the guys from my Jeep dealer's parts room that they "took a $3,000 hit on the sales price."

I don't want any further dealings with them. I want only to, if possible, have their license revoked and put them out of business. I may decide to go an entirely different route -- fix up one of the '88 MJs as my daily driver, convert the '88 XJ to automatic with Selec-Trac for the ladies, and call it good. We'll see. I'm still regrouping from the shock of having been done dirt to that extent by a place my Jeep dealer's parts guys thought was a good shop.

Ive never had a dealing with a car salesman that I have felt good about....ever! And I don't ever expect to have a good experience with one. That is soo sad to me. I know they have to make a buck too, but most of the time they are just ridiculous! Some of those guys would undercut their own mother if it meant they make a few more bucks. Lie cheat steal is a good day at work for them! But they are a necessay evil if you want something really nice and or new, most of the time. I feel for ya Eagle, and I hope this DMV complaint gets you some closure, and gets them some punishment. If I were you , and the funds were available, I would go after them with a lawyer just for spite! Maybe a little civil suit for pain and suffering added in! I wonder what it costs too to make a commercial to play on a local TV station syaing how wrong you were done? Its not libel or slander if its true! The thing is too, with weasels like them.... when really threatened, they will fold like a deck of cards and do whatever you want. We all wish you the best of luck!

It's good to hear your able to file a formal complaint thru the DMV ;)

It might not shut the door on that dealer that did you wrong, but it will put some heat on them for a while. And with a couple more formal complaints, it will be the end of them.

Small corner lot dealers fear the DMV watching their every move, not only to close the door, but in very hefty fines to them :eek:

Good luck on your quest :D

I have to agree with previous posters about giving a $22,000 10 year old Jeep to a teenager....It shouldnt be done. If anything happens..... AND IT WILL....eventually.....you can imagine what a waste it would be. In my way of thinking, a teenager should have a decent beater, so if theres a minor rear-ender, or a little bump up, or a collision with a ditch, you won't feel so bad about what it cost to have this kid tear up a really nice Cherokee. In reality she should have a late model pickup with airbags, traction control, etc.... I say a pickup because she should only be able to have one passenger at a time.... that decreaes the likelyhood hugely that she will be distracted by passengers acting up. Its all true, and you know how you acted when you were a teen...just remember that! If she aint buying her own car, then provide a vehicle that will decrease as much as possible any opportunity to screw up. Just common sense! I wish you luck!

Sounds very decent. Good price, too. I wish it weren't quite so far away. My first wife's grandparents lived near Bellefont and we were married in State College, so I remember how far that is -- and this would be about an hour farther. The logistics of checking it out, and then getting to it if I bought it, would be a bit difficult.

In reality she should have a late model pickup with airbags, traction control, etc....

Insurance rates for a teenage drive in a pickup will be much higher than for a teenager in a Cherokee. And our state law won't allow a teenage driver to carry any passengers other than immediate family for the first two years she's driving (license at 16, no passengers until 18).