Tiger Woods

sinkrun

I don't ushally post just to rant but the first thing on both national news channels is Tiger Woods. What the H___ is wrong with this country that thats the most important thing going. What do you guys think? Oh I just changed to the Simpsons.

This just shows you what America's real national religion is..... POP CULTURE. Thats how Obama got elected. It is what is popular, whats famous, whats celebrity, and because of that, it is what is important to many many many shallow people that populate our country and can't see what is beyond their TV or their IPOD, or their cellphone. It doesnt matter what is important! All that matters is what their celebs tell them is important, what their liberal news media tell them is important. Thats why 1 billion people will watch Tiger apologize for being an azz.

And as long as we are talking about Tiger....He knew of his love for the ladies and ceelebrity early on. Why he ever got married to begin with I will never know. He could have stayed single, kept all his money, screwed all the girls he wanted to and never have been in any trouble! Its his owwn darned fault!

Another useless piece of info, I heard somewhere that they estimated one billion people would watch the apology, I guess people thought it was important... wow

I must have been with the other billion people that didn't watch it :hmm:

Didn't have anything to do with ratings.......*sell commercials*......did it :dunno:

Tiger??? Tiger.............wasn't he the guy on the cereal box, that always said....Grrreat :hmm:

a few of you guys know that I'm an ex-professional chef.......

way way way back in my career, when I was still scouring pots and scrubbing floors, a very young Tiger came to play the somewhat infamous ameteur tour that the country club I worked at hosted. He was the epitomie of exuberent innocent youth, being coached along by his father (may he RIP). It truly was a wonder to see him and how his talent was evlolving.

Fast forward about 10 years, and I was now working at a different private course cooking for some of golf's (and industry's) greatest names. Young Tiger has now become a legend in his own mind. He can't even be bothered to look me in the face as I am plating his dinner at tableside.......he brushes me and my dining staff off with a grunt.

eff him, and the Buick he rode into town on too. He deserves everything that he got from his wife, and more. What goes around comes around.

Jeff

I used to be quite a baseball fan but just lost interest in it. A while back my cousin came out so I could do some work on her truck. While talking she mentioned she had tickets to a Rockies game and wanted to know if I cared to go along. I politely informed her I had better things to do with my time than watch some millionaire dribble tobacco juice down his chin and scratch his balls. She ain't been back since.

I used to be quite a baseball fan but just lost interest in it.

Is anybody besides me old enough to remember when Steve Garvey (he of the gorgeous, blonde wife) played first base for the Dodgers?

Steve-a-rino was interviewed by somebody and made a big deal out of talking up the fact that professional ball players are role models for kids, and how they should remember their fans, and not always be in the game just for the money. It was a great speech ... I loved it!

One or two years later he dumped the Dodgers for a higher offer from wherever he went next. Then came the news about the extra-marital affairs and the kids he fathered with multiple women other than his wife. That was the end of the line for me. When I was growing up, the players were identified by the team they played for, not by the size of their paycheck. Can you imagine Joe DiMaggio or Mickey Mantle not being Yankees? Ted Williams or Carl Yastremski not being Red Sox? Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale not being Dodgers?

Let 'em rot.

Hell yeah Eagle, I hear you, and I remember all that. :D But I still love the game, especially the American league. There are still some old school players left who have 10+ years with their teams, but it's rare now; most are salary chasers now because they are put on the trading block by the management. Here's a few examples:

Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio - Houston Astros

John Smoltz, Chipper Jones and Andruw Jones - Atlanta Braves

Barry Bonds - San Francisco Giants :nuts:

Tim Wakefield - Boston Red Sox

Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada, Derek Jeter, and Bernie Williams - New York Yankees

The salary cap effectively killed the player loyalty and the owners have to do what they had to do just to stay afloat. The constant trading does makes the competition better and more balanced, but I prefer the old school baseball as you do, but it's gone the way of the dinosaur. Unfortunately. :(

GEEEZ Eagle an Don. Remember all them guys. I actually wrote Sandy Koufax a fan letter and he answered it. Ever hear of that happening now? The last good memory I have of baseball happened in 1995. My nephew , 12 years old had Leukemia and was really bad off. Me and the wife were in LA for a meeting of the Co she worked for. Tommy Lasorda was one of the investors and was there. Upon hearing about my nephew he got 3 baseballs signed by him and all the dodgers for him. He also gave a set to the wife. I have them in my drawer now.

Some of today's players still do that, but it's probably not that they care. It's either written into their contract to do that type of work, or it's for publicity. Hey, I'm with you, but it's not the players fault 100%. Management has had their part of screwing up major league baseball too. And it's not only baseball, but all pro sports "businesses". I wish it could be like it was in the old days, but sadly it never will be again.

Regarding Tiger, I don't think he should apologize. I think it is embarasing that he did. He didnt do anything to me. He should be apologizing to his family.

:agree:

Along with any other "celebrity" / "politician" out there.

But.....the media's starvation for news needs to fill the air waves with something :headpop:

Complaining about celebrities is more effective when you simply say nothing at all, and ignore them.

You may be complaining about them, and basically wondering why they're famous. This is exactly why... it's negative, but you're still talking about them.

Just my .