B-pillar light alternative...

This is copied of part of my build thread. I found out after I posted this that 91MJDude had found these lights as well, he suggested doing a write up so everybody else could find them.

I've been obsessing over this B-pillar light. Stock replacements are impossible too find or expensive. I thought using the same Led's woodkrawler (jeep forum member) used...

but I really wanted something that would snap into the factory hole. I found these VW lights and the fit the hole fairly well...

but I just didn't really like them. I'm not sure exactly what I was looking for, but I was doing a image search on Google and stumbled on this picture...

It's an aftermarket replacement interior light that's marketed for Hot Rods and custom cars. Made by a US company called Euramtec. I found their website and downloaded the spec sheet on the lights. You can see from their measurements it's almost identical to the factory MJ lights...

After about a half hour of searching, I found a site that sells classic car lenses and they had a listing for them. I got both of them for $35 shipped. Compared to the VW lens...

I painted the trim and fitted the new lights...

Mods to the trim was minimum. The height of the new light was perfect, and I had to file about a 1/16 of an inch of material to make them fit length wise. Fitted...

I really like the way they look installed and as an added bonus the function of the new lights is the same as the factory.

UP - on/off with the door

Center - off

Down - on/map light

:cheers:

For a plastic (sorry fiberglass reinforced resin) light, they are surprisingly well made the action on the switch is as good as the best factory one I've seen.

The back.

The switch mechanism.

Lens in the up position.

Middle.

Down.

They look kind of like the Porsche lights I used except with a black frame. I like them!

High cheese factor on these though:

The only Porsche lights I could find on Ebay were like $40 each or beat all to crap. As far as the LEDs...I bought a set and really didn't like them for my MJ. I like what woodkrawler has done to his MJ. He's modernized it with a '99 interior and sheet metal, so they are in line with what he's trying to do.

The only Porsche lights I could find on Ebay were like $40 each or beat all to crap. As far as the LEDs...I bought a set and really didn't like them for my MJ.

$40/ea! I got three for $20 including shipping. You were looking in all the wrong places mate. :cheers:

The only problem I see with those Euramtec lights is they still use those funky old-style bulbs. I replaced the stock b-pillar lights with some universal rectangular interior dome lights, and replaced the stock incandescent bulb with a 3-LED bulb, and boy do those two lights do a good job of illuminating the interior!

But you did a GREAT job in finding those Euramtec lights, and painting them to match your panels. Very stock looking, and at first glance (and second and third!), I doubt anyone would know they're not stock MJ lights. Nice find and great writeup!

The only problem I see with those Euramtec lights is they still use those funky old-style bulbs. I replaced the stock b-pillar lights with some universal rectangular interior dome lights, and replaced the stock incandescent bulb with a 3-LED bulb, and boy do those two lights do a good job of illuminating the interior!

That's not a problem as these bulbs are readily available with LEDs.

Those look great. I have the same obsession with my b-pillar lights. I may give these a try. I thought I saw that you didnt buy them through Euramtec but I didnt see where you bought them? Do you remember the name of the store?

I bought mine from here...http://www.taillightking.com/hot_rod_light_assemblies.htm for $15 each, but from what Akula69 posted you can get the exact same lights here http://www.infiniteinnovations.com/main.asp?p=4_179 for $8.95.

That's not a problem as these bulbs are readily available with LEDs.

Hornbrod, got a part # and place to buy those LED bulbs for these lights?

I don't remember the p/n for the tubular bulb, I put LEDs in a couple of years ago. Pop the bulb out and it will be stamped on the bulb. Then do a seach for LED xxxx, and there will be many options. Plug and play w/o the heat.

cool. i've got some spares in the truck now, in the packaging, so i'll run that. thanks!

Those look great. I have the same obsession with my b-pillar lights. I may give these a try. I thought I saw that you didnt buy them through Euramtec but I didnt see where you bought them? Do you remember the name of the store?

I bought mine from here...http://www.taillightking.com/hot_rod_light_assemblies.htm for $15 each, but from what Akula69 posted you can get the exact same lights here http://www.infiniteinnovations.com/main.asp?p=4_179 for $8.95.

That second site sticks you with a mandatory $10 handling fee and I wasn't able to find their normal UPS ground shipping rate anywhere. So, assume $6-$8 for that and you're looking at about the same price as your first link.

I refuse to buy from places that do a mandatory $10 handling fee...give me a break.

there is really no need for led's in the euramtec lights, they are very bright to begin with.

If you have to install led's in your A pillar lights for them to be bright you have poorly designed lights then, IMHO

100_3062.jpg

straight from eurametc they were around $25 shipped. other sources mark them up. $8.00 X 2 + shipping

only thing is you have to call them, no online orders. (that i could find) I had a nice lady on the other end.

If you call you don't have to register.

Part number = Complete Assembly: A-7180-BC

They are 10X better than any factory ones, very good construction. not brittle, well designed.

I will try to get a shot of them in the dark, they light up the whole interior.

100_3055.jpg

100_3058.jpg

unlike other after-market lights these actually look like they are suppose to be there. These are defiantly the best alternative, actually I will say they are better than factory ones.

http://www.euramtec.com/catalog/parts.php?section=C1

Contact info for Euramtec

29650 Grand River Avenue

Farmington Hills, MI 48336-5622 USA

Phone: (248) 473-8660

Fax: (248) 473-8662

E-mail: Contact@euramtec.com

I Hope this clears up all the ?s

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I called and placed my order today with Euramtec. The lady that usually handles the orders wasn't there today, but the man I spoke to seemed very excited that I found their information on a car forum. They list on Ebay now (cheaper if you just call though):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Universa ... ccessories

They're only $8 each and he charged me $6 for shipping, so I got them both for $22 shipped. He said they actually bought the rights from the original French company for these lights and manufacture them now in Michigan. Its nice to be able to buy something built in the USA.

Glad to see they finally have a way of ordering their products online. Not so happy that they're charging more for their products online, though - perhaps has to do with the e-bay listing fees these days (which are ridiculous), but they could easily setup an online shopping cart on their website. I don't mind calling to order a product, but it's so much easier to do it online and then I'll at least have an electronic record of it.

2/27/2012 - the light is now available through our ebay store for $16.00. For Comanche club members it is available for $13.00. When you order on ebay do not pay Please send a note through ebay stating you are a Comanche club member and wait for an invoice before paying. Thank you.

Maryann

Contact@euramtec.com

Dear ComancheClub members and friends,

Indeed, we had a nice conversation this morning with Ryan and we would like to take this opportunity to introduce ourselves as a potential supplier for the B-Pillar Light. It is available thru eBay at a higher price due to eBay charges, listing fees, store fees, paypal fees, etc., but for the ComancheClub members we have set a price of $8.00 each. When you contact us, please specify that you are a member of the ComancheClub.

The light was originally designed in France for a Chrysler car built in France. After the expiration of that vehicle we purchased the tooling and transferred the production of the light to here in the US, and have been supplying the light from here for the last 15 years to many industries (specialty vehicles, street rods, marine, etc.). We hope that this product will be a nice substitution for the original factory piece.

Jeep On!

Joe Warneke

Technical Sales, Euramtec Corp.

http://www.euramtec.com

:banana:

Dear ComancheClub members and friends,

Indeed, we had a nice conversation this morning with Ryan and we would like to take this opportunity to introduce ourselves as a potential supplier for the B-Pillar Light. It is available thru eBay at a higher price due to eBay charges, listing fees, store fees, paypal fees, etc., but for the ComancheClub members we have set a price of $8.00 each. When you contact us, please specify that you are a member of the ComancheClub.

The light was originally designed in France for a Chrysler car built in France. After the expiration of that vehicle we purchased the tooling and transferred the production of the light to here in the US, and have been supplying the light from here for the last 15 years to many industries (specialty vehicles, street rods, marine, etc.). We hope that this product will be a nice substitution for the original factory piece.

Jeep On!

Joe Warneke

Technical Sales, Euramtec Corp.

sales@euramtec.com

http://www.euramtec.com

:banana:

Thanks for thinking about us Joe. Its good to know we can still get the lights, and help out an american company. But, I have a question... Could you look into purchasing the tooling for our tail lights? You could make a decent amount of sales if we had an aftermarket alternative. A short while ago our used tail lights were fetching $350 a set on ebay in good condition. They have dropped in price recently, but imagine the draw for them.

That would be awesome if you could look into that.

Thanks,

Rob L.