Fan Pulley Replacement/Elimination

So now I have a noise coming from my belt drive that sounds like littly birds chirping, it's driving me nuts, I am about to start pulling hair out :fs1: . I used to get a squeal if I revved over 2k, but now it no longer squeals, it just chirps intermittantly all the time (and getting progressively worse). So I replaced the smooth idler pulley next to the compressor, no change. I noticed when it was squealing that you could see the belt move back on the fan pulley, so I think that may be the culprit. So I work for oreillys and couldnt find the fan pulley or the corresponding bearings in our E catalog (though admittedly I haven't searched as hard as I could) but I have a feeling that they aren't going to be available from us.

Is the pulley and bearing one separate unit, or individual replacable pieces?

I am now considering getting rid of the mechanical fan and pulley all together, I have done a couple taurus E fans on TJs in the past, and that isn't too difficult. Ill just have to use a shorter belt correct? If anyone has experience with using the E fan here, I'd be interested in hearing how it taxed the electrical system, my buddies 2.5 TJ never liked it so much.

the fan pulley is attached to the water pump, if that's making noise the water pump should start leaking pretty soon :rotf: if theres any up and down or side to side play in the water pump shaft it's getting ready to die, probably at a very innoportune time .... removing the fan from the engine is no problem, you just take the fan hub off and bolt the pulley back on the motor without the fan blade and clutch, and the belt won't be any different cause you're not changing any of the pulleys, just removing the fan... as far as attaching the electric fan to the radiator and wiring it up, ill let someone else who's actually done it answer that one...

the fan pulley is attached to the water pump, if that's making noise the water pump should start leaking pretty soon :rotf: if theres any up and down or side to side play in the water pump shaft it's getting ready to die, probably at a very innoportune time .... removing the fan from the engine is no problem, you just take the fan hub off and bolt the pulley back on the motor without the fan blade and clutch, and the belt won't be any different cause you're not changing any of the pulleys, just removing the fan... as far as attaching the electric fan to the radiator and wiring it up, ill let someone else who's actually done it answer that one...

No my fan pulley sits to the passenger's side of the water pump

ah, thats right.... sorry I'm stuck on chevys, just did a water pump on an express van w/ a 6.0 at work :rotf: but the pulley can still be used without the fan blade and clutch so the belt doenst have to be changed... not sure if the bearing in that piece can be changed or not, you might be better off hunting for that assembly at the pick and pull....

ah, thats right.... sorry I'm stuck on chevys, just did a water pump on an express van w/ a 6.0 at work :rotf: but the pulley can still be used without the fan blade and clutch so the belt doenst have to be changed... not sure if the bearing in that piece can be changed or not, you might be better off hunting for that assembly at the pick and pull....

Well the bearings are out so it defeats the purpose to remove the fan and not the pulley as well.

as far as attaching the electric fan to the radiator and wiring it up, ill let someone else who's actually done it answer that one...

I did this a couple of years ago:

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8342&p=100730&hilit=electric+fan#p100730

Okay, I have a spare factory auxiliary fan lying in the garage I think I'll probably go that route. Although Ill probably just use an adjustable controller that uses a radiator probe, like $30 from my store anyhow, that's what I have used in the past with TJs.

42163954.gif

I think a shorter belt would allow me to go ahead and bypass that pulley, running directly from the crank to the alternator

I do believe doing that would not give you enough bite on either the crank or alternator pulley, and you would get a lot of squeaking/slipping, and if the belt slips at the crank pulley, since it drives all of it, you will have lotsa troubles; overheating, not enough amps, not enough ps pressure, and when the AC kicks in, lotsa slippage at that pulley! Notice how all pulleys, except the idler/tensioner has at least 50% of the pulley being used. You will only have 25% on crank and alternator. Problem.

I do believe doing that would not give you enough bite on either the crank or alternator pulley, and you would get a lot of squeaking/slipping, and if the belt slips at the crank pulley, since it drives all of it, you will have lotsa troubles; overheating, not enough amps, not enough ps pressure, and when the AC kicks in, lotsa slippage at that pulley! Notice how all pulleys, except the idler/tensioner has at least 50% of the pulley being used. You will only have 25% on crank and alternator. Problem.

:agree:

That pulley as you know is part of the AC bracket. My parts list does not show a separate number for just the bearing. The assembly # is 5300 2901. Might be had at the dealership but I would say it would be pricey. If your fan belt is moving on that pulley, than I would suspect the bearing is shot cause it is no longer spinning true. When you have the belt off, see if you can move the fan pulley up and down any.

From what I've seen and read on the mechnical fan removal and using electric fans, they always left that pulley and just removed the fan. If you think there may be a slight possibility that the fan is causing it, just remove the four nuts holding it to the pulley and run the engine for a couple minutes to find out. Just be sure to put those four nuts back on to keep the pulley from falling off.

:cheers:

That pulley as you know is part of the AC bracket. My parts list does not show a separate number for just the bearing. The assembly # is 5300 2901. Might be had at the dealership but I would say it would be pricey. If your fan belt is moving on that pulley, than I would suspect the bearing is shot cause it is no longer spinning true. When you have the belt off, see if you can move the fan pulley up and down any. :cheers:

Fastenal has the idler puller bearings ($2.08/ea) and there's a slew of them on Fleabay too. Just do a search for 6203-2RS, common bearing. They're everywhere. :~) To be sure first use some 0000 steel wool on the idler pulley bearing face and the p/n should be visible. Just to eliminate any Jeep "inconsistancies". :cheers:

Fastenal has the idler puller bearings ($2.08/ea) and there's a slew of them on Fleabay too. Just do a search for 6203-2RS, common bearing. They're everywhere. :~) To be sure first use some 0000 steel wool on the idler pulley bearing face and the p/n should be visible. Just to eliminate any Jeep "inconsistancies". :cheers:

He replace the idler pulley, he's talking about the bearing for the fan pulley thats appears to be non-replaceable. Or are you saying that it's the same as the idler one. :dunno:

He replace the idler pulley, he's talking about the bearing for the fan pulley thats appears to be non-replaceable. Or are you saying that it's the same as the idler one. :dunno:

No I'm not. Didn't read thru the whole thread. It's late. :brows: BUT I do remember there was a lengthy discussion on this same topic in the Jeep Yahoo strokers forum. I'll look tomorrow...........

Night.

I have an annoying squeel and it usually is from idle until about 2k just like yours. I can wobble my water pump pulley so mine is the water pump. This may be your problem. I changed belts when I got it and it went away for a while and came back. I replaced the idler pulleys and then found the wp pulley loose. A wp change will be my fix for sure.

As for the dual electric fan setup I wouldn't recommend it. I am sure I am going to get a ton of hate mail about this, but in my '01 XJ it didn't work as good as the mechanical, but it sure was quiet!!! I used the SPAL fan controller too, but in my case it didn't work out for me.

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is a bit old but I thought that I would revive it since my MJ is now suffering the same fate. This is the bearing in the ac support bracket, if you have a 4.0L your fan and fan clutch are bolted to the front of it. The pulley functions as an idler and support for the fan clutch. The part is available from the local jeep dealer for about $276.00. I pulled the bracket off the motor and my dad removed the bearing from the bracket. He said it looked like a water pump bearing. Anyway he has tracked it down and when it arrives we will confirm the fit and function test; if successful I will post the part numbers and pictures. This work does however require a press and some other tools that the basic mechanic may not have but the part is less than $30.00

Just simply remove the Fan bolts & the clucth too. But add an electric fan or if it came with AC i swill already have an electric fan.I don't use my AC, so I'm considering doing this anyway just to increase myhorsepower slightly. Not much but it will slightly improve because the fan robs a bit of power from the sheer resistance.

This thread was not about removing the mechanical fan to be able to run an electric. This thread was about removing the fan pulley because the bearings were bad and neither bearings nor pulley are readily available.