Lucky jy find

mvusse

I NEVER, EVER hit the jack pot in junk yards like some people do.

This time may be different.

I didn't have time to get them, and am not saying where they are, but I found a $600 set of chromoly shafts for my front axle. And they will cost me less than $50. :banana:

Let's hope they'll still be there next weekend.

The u joint ears on the axles are truly massive and machined for full circle clips, and the visible parts of both the inner and outer shafts are WAY thicker than stock. I don't know of any company that makes axles looking like that that are not chromoly.

I NEVER, EVER hit the jack pot in junk yards like some people do.

This time may be different.

I didn't have time to get them, and am not saying where they are, but I found a $600 set of chromoly shafts for my front axle. And they will cost me less than $50. :banana:

Let's hope they'll still be there next weekend.

If you're absolutely sure, I'd MAKE time during the week to get them mate, unless you're out of the country or something. That's a hell of a steal/deal.

The u joint ears on the axles are truly massive and machined for full circle clips, and the visible parts of both the inner and outer shafts are WAY thicker than stock. I don't know of any company that makes axles looking like that that are not chromoly.

I doubt they're chromo. Get them and prove me wrong.

Most, if not all, chromo shafts have '4340' or whatever ('4XXX') stamped into the yokes, which is plainly visible when installed. Also, the yokes are no bigger than the 297X/760X shafts, as they have to conform to that specification. Some of them ship a bit oversized, I'm talking only .050" extra, and have to be smoothed out to fit sometimes (try putting a yukon shaft in a D44, often it won't work). Also, full circlips can be done on any shaft, although it is atypical.

Warn, Yukon, and a few other vendors offer stock replacement shafts. As in the same material, but perhaps slightly different physical dimensions.

Well, spent two hours getting the axles off, finally found my tape measure and they are the small u joints. Tossed them in the back of a Grand Cherokee, then notice IT has the same shafts, but with the larger joints. So evidently there are 2 styles of stock shafts out there.

it wasn't all for naught, however, as I ran into a guy trying to get a spindle nut off (just needed the nut), so I walked back and took one off one of the shafts I had removed and gave it to him.

I did get another tail gate shock for my truck cap, another new passenger mirror for the Pig (that's the third one now :mad: ) and a driver side heated power mirror for a coworker's 94 Grand Cherokee. Came across a Z34 also, but of course the hood vents were already missing.