backyard grill question

Pete M

what are you guys grillin' with? likes/dislikes? cost?

Seems Grandma has given us money for a grill, 300 smackers if I heard right. I'm trying to get dad to chip in enough for a nice Weber Genesis with the thinking that he's getting 300 off of a very nice grill, but we're a bit short of money at the moment so it's been a hard sell. he'd rather just get the best he can for 300 bucks and whatever happens, happens. We don't need anything big, but I'd like to get something that will last (with regards to both rust and durability).

thoughts?

Well i love my weber genesis silver that iv got but its only a 2 burner and i wish i got the 3 burner like my dad has but mine was still like 400 bucks and the others that i liked were 100-200$ more if i member right (been 5 years). Many of my friends have some offbrand stuff that work quite well and they are all 3-4 burner grills . i don't have an exterior stove top burner but kinda wish i did as it would come in handy with things that are messy like frying and stuff but that can be added later . mine does have some nice nonstick grates i think there called "flavor bars" or something and they are verry nice , i realy don't like the stainless ones as they tend to stick like mad and they seem to need to be seasoned more often and what ever u do get a spare tank and keep it full caus theres nothing worse than running out of gas wile cooking, trust me .

You're probably asking the wrong person (me):

We went down to Home Depot and spent less than $160 on a no name brand. It's been sitting outside (in the Pacific NW) on my deck, uncovered for the past 10 years and it still has a pretty even burn with minimal rust. Every Spring I turn it on for a few minutes and burn out all the insects and it's already to go...

Barbie time is about over for y'all Pete. The only time to buy a grill is in the late fall mate if you're not in a hurry. Check the Home Depot and Lowes sales next month and you'll get a good name brand one at a 60-80 percent markdown.

that's part of the problem. My grandparents are flying down to GA this weekend and Dad has it in his mind that for some reason he needs to buy this NOW so it's here when they get here. :hmm: Also, the guy at Lowes says that the Weber we liked is carried year round and never goes on clearance. :dunno:

Like most people, I have bought many grills. Then almost TWELVE YEARS AGO, I bought my first WEBER gas grill. Know what, I am still using it!!!!! It wasn't until just this year I had to replace the stainless steel burner! Now, I really griped at the 4or $500 I spent on the grill back then... BUT in the time since, I REJOYCE about the cash I have saved!!! My grill stays outside all year as we use it even in sub zero conditions. It does get covered in the winter. I clean it good, once, at the end of the season.

About 5 years ago my Pop needed a new grill. He asked for my suggestion. WEBER was it. He and Mom decided it was too costly??? Then spent just as much on a large "Fancy" Stainless steel master flame. This year that grill was SHOT!! the lid hinges rusted thru it was on its second burner and the frame needed to be "reinforced" to stay standing. The need a new grill for next year. My WEBER is still going and will go for many more years.

The ONLY GRILL I EVER SUGGEST IS WEBER!!!!

CW

How do you like to grill?? Gas or Charcoal :chillin:

I got this gas grill at Lowes about 5yrs ago and one of the best gas grills I have ever used.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

But this year I have not used it at all. I was cleaning out my barn and found my old WEBER Charcoal grill at the start of summer and have used it this year. KInd of forgot antidisestablishmentarianism a good charcoal burger was about :yes:

Come to think about I need to get some Charcoal on the way home :thumbsup:

Growing up I always hated charcoal cooked food, because back then eveyone I knew put about a gallon of lighter fluid on the coals to get them lit and all the food tasted like lighter fluid. But a couple years ago I decided to buy a charcoal grill from lowes... don't know tha brand, but they have these chimney coal starters now where you don't need to use lighter fluid... fill the chimney with my favorite hardwood CHUNK charcoal, put a couple peices of newspaper with some vegetable oil drizzled on it under the chimney, light it and 10-15 minutes later you have hot coals! You get the smoke flavor without the lighter fluid. To get back on topic... I didnt pay enough for this grille to expect it to last forever, but my leaving it outside in the rain doesnt help anything. It is holding up well though, the only bad spot on it is the lower shelf which I think I will replace with some wood slats sometime in the near future.

I have a Weber charcoal grill with propane ignition. Its on a cart with wheels and stainless steel top and the red podwer coated one.

The ease of propane and the taste of charcoal. The best of both worlds.

I picked it up out of someones trash by the road 7 years ago. Free is even better.

We have a 5 or 6 burner Kenmore, have had it probably 5 years now and use it just about everyday even in the winter. It has been a good grill. It got covered up for the first few months maybe, but since then it has stood the elements. We are now looking at maybe getting a nice sized smoker.

My wife got me a cheapo Fiesta Optima in about 2001 for Fathers day and I love it. If I recall it was under $200. The igniters didn't last but maybe a year but it has the cast iron grates in it and they make a huge difference. I had to put a new burner in last year but it has worked great for years with really no problems other than the igniters.

my main thing would be to make sure it has the cast iron grates, once you cook a few times on them, they are pretty stick free and don't rust through like the old steel ones.

I've never had the luxury of using stainless so i can't comment on them but if you look at somewhere like Walmart, you can find some stainless models for under $300 and they look really nice.

Couldn't convince my dad to spend the dough, but apparently I could convince my sis. :hmm: I was talking to her just now and mentioned my woes and asked if I could apply the money she owed me towards the grill to help nibble down the price and with no pause what-so-ever she said she'd take care of the rest. :clapping: It's possible that there's some guilt concerning all the money that my parents gave them when they first got married. :D But you didn't hear that from me.

So in theory, I should be posting pics in a few hours of our new grill. :banana:

Barbie time is about over for y'all Pete. The only time to buy a grill is in the late fall mate if you're not in a hurry. Check the Home Depot and Lowes sales next month and you'll get a good name brand one at a 60-80 percent markdown.

'barbie' time is never over. :brows: I remember when I was growing up, several times each winter, my dad would be out running the grill with 6-8 inches of snow on the ground and another couple forcefully on its way down.

charcoal only. Weber grille, both the "baby" one and larger one. Fire that puppy up with cedar kindling and use kingsford mesquite. No fluid at all. When finished I cut off all the air so the charcoal dies, leaving some partially burned for next fire up that, with the kindling, is going within 5 minutes, dump some more on, and in 20 minutes ready to grille! Gives me time to polish off a gin and tonic or a beer or two. :brows:

well, here it is. The more I'm around it, the more I really really like it. Truly an engineering marvel. It could use a bit more instruction in the instructions, thankfully I've got years and years of GI Joe and Legos experience to fall back on. :brows: Light years beyond the $250-300 models I was looking at before. You can sit on the side trays! you can pick it up using the side trays. :D very solid feeling. Only time will tell how well it'll hold up, but it looks like it'll be a family heirloom of sorts. jamminz.gif

Sorry. No electric. No gas. Charcoal fired to life by wood, even sometimes an actual wood fire to cook on.

Ah, yes, the days of my youth when we would camp and work the wood fire to a bed of glowing coals over which we would put a metal grill, cook our fish freshly caught either fried or deep fried, or make a really good stew that would simmer all day over the fire and coals. Then, at night, we would slow cook hot dogs on a stick, climb into our sleeping bags and watch the coals glimmer and give off warmth as we went to sleep. Then, in the morning, at 5am, my brother and I would work the coals left over, place some twigs on it, get them burning, and bring that same fire back to life for another day of fishing, cooking and really enjoying! Ahhh!

well, here it is. The more I'm around it, the more I really really like it. Truly an engineering marvel. It could use a bit more instruction in the instructions, thankfully I've got years and years of GI Joe and Legos experience to fall back on. :brows: Light years beyond the $250-300 models I was looking at before. You can sit on the side trays! you can pick it up using the side trays. :D very solid feeling. Only time will tell how well it'll hold up, but it looks like it'll be a family heirloom of sorts. jamminz.gif

She looks like a beauty. Ok, how much did ya pay for it?