Organ donor!

Well, I'm new over here. Watchamakalit told me about this site, so I thought I'd check it out. I have an 89' mj 4.0 4x4 5 speed. I bought it wrecked, and pretty rusted out, but I saw her inner beauty! I started by fixing all the rust.(bedsides, rockers, floorpans, etc.) She's in primer now, but is going to get an all over paintjob as soon as I get to it. I am a professional automotive painter, and since I straightened the whole truck, I decided to make her mainly a street truck/DD. I have a built ford 302 that I'll be dropping in her, (.30 over, port and polish, 3 angle valve job, big valves, hot cam, etc.) I figure Every a-hole and his brother has a SBC 2wd S-10, so I figure a v-8 4x4 MJ would be bad @$$! It's got two inches of lift under it now,(That's the stance I'm trying to keep after the swap) and I'm gonna run 31" all terrains when it's done. Anyhow, I'll try to keep this updated as it progresses.

You've got a lot of work ahead of you kid. You're in the right place. Welcome to the club!

That's fine by me. My trail rig is a 90 XJ, and I'll take all the lessons learned on it to do the MJ better! Is there any way to upload pics here without an image hosting site? If so, I'll post some pics of the MJ. jamminz.gif

Most of us just upload the pictures to photobucket, then post them here. I don't think there's a way to upload them to the site like hotrodders.com does.

I'd like to see some pictures of the engine sitting in the bay. I've not compared sizes of sbc to sbf. I would think that since your disty is in the front, you'd be able to let the engine run a little higher without worrying about it hitting the firewall.

What kind of trans do you plan to run?

Most of us just upload the pictures to photobucket, then post them here. I don't think there's a way to upload them to the site like hotrodders.com does.

I'd like to see some pictures of the engine sitting in the bay. I've not compared sizes of sbc to sbf. I would think that since your disty is in the front, you'd be able to let the engine run a little higher without worrying about it hitting the firewall.

What kind of trans do you plan to run?

I'm gonna run an adapter plate and just mate it to the ax-15, till I grenade it, then I'll do it right. I'm thinking about just buying a full size bronco trans/tcase, and going from there. Debating weather or not to stay manual, or go auto. I'm shooting for having her on the road by winter. I guess I'll go try to figure out the photobucket thing, and get you guys some, "thus far" pics posted! :thumbsup:

So, I think I got the photobucket figured out. Here's a few of the MJ, and some stuff I've done to it. And a pic of her new powerplant! :bowdown:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I hope that worked!

I wish I hadnt sold my 85 econoline, it had a good 302 in it I could have used for a V8 swap like this... but I sold it way before I got into the MJ's. Hindsight!!!!!! Ive always wondered about doing this same swap too. Glad to see you using a Ford. Theres no way Id put a chevy in anything I own!

I think when the time comes for the swap, I'm gonna fab up a couple extra sets of motor mounts, as I have had more interest in this build than I expected, and a few others have also thought about doing this same swap. I'm curious as to how long the AX-15 is going to hold up to the v-8 before I have to swap in a full-size trans/t-case.

I wish I hadnt sold my 85 econoline, it had a good 302 in it I could have used for a V8 swap like this... but I sold it way before I got into the MJ's. Hindsight!!!!!! Ive always wondered about doing this same swap too. Glad to see you using a Ford. Theres no way Id put a chevy in anything I own!

Hey! A fellow bueller! I was in love with the old tube frame lightnings, then when the XB came out, I had to have one! I have an 05' XB12R firebolt, Custom paint, (I'm a painter), wrapped header, 1 off muffler, (Gutted, internal Y-pipe, two hooker shotgun baffles from honda VTX 1800 straight out the back! I love it! And they're addictive! Since I got mine, 3 of my buddies have gotten them. 2 XB's, and 1 S3. If I get another bike, it'll be a tube frame white lightning! jamminz.gif

Ive had my Buell Lightning S-1 for almost 10 years now. When I was looking at buying a bike, I didnt even know that Buell existed, but I always had it in my head that I wanted a sportbike, but I wanted it to sound like a Harley. Then while looking through the motorcycle classifieds I started to stumble on the Buells, did a little research and My dream had come true without my even knowing about it! I really wanted an S-1, but most of what I was finding were M-2's and X-1's. So in preparation for buying a bike, I went to the local Honda shop to look at helmets, and there on the showroom floor was a used 97 S-1 with 2500 miles with a $5900 price tag on it. I bought a helmet that day, and left the dealer. The bike sat in the back of my mind for a week, all the while I'm telling my friends about it being there and being the exact one I was wanting. This one buddy of mine got tired of me whining about it and told me... "JUST BUY IT!!!" So I called the dealer, and made an offer over the phone for $5800 out the door, with tax, title and tags. They took it and I took it home without some much as a test drive! I didnt have my bike endorsement yet at the time, and had to take the driving portion of the test on this monster. I just barely passed and have been scared as hell at the power this thing can make ever since. I love it! The new bikes are nice, but most of them are just too small for me, being 6'1" and 250lbs. Hell, I'm really to big for the S-1, but the new bikes are even smaller, with the exception of the Ullysses. And yes the white lightnings are a hot bike. Good luck on your MJ build and you bike search! :cheers:

Sweet looking sbf.. powerplant there philbert001

Bodywork is looking good also.. You shouldn't really have any problem with running the AX15 behind that small block, they are a great tranny, keep the fluid clean and cool, as long as you have no tranny leakage, you can run the synthetic fluid.. runs cooler, install a trans temp guage an run a good tranny cooler.

I run the AX15 in my 89 XJ and the only time I see much temp rise is when I get'er into the deep mud and have to keep the rev's high.

Great looking buildup.. keep us informed or your progression :cheers:

Well, I've gotten some stuff done in the last week or so. I swapped the gears from 3.07's to 3.55's

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

And I got my old bent bumper off, and replaced with a new aftermarket one. The new one has holes for the bumper caps, but I didn't have any. My buddy matt's XJ bumper ate a tree, and looked like a V, so I told him he could have my old mj bumper. Well I lucked out! His old one had the caps on it, and he didn't want em, so The MJ has em now! I also got the header fixed and mounted. (It had 2 of the mounting studs broken off.) I got her pushed into the garage to motivate me to finish my body work and get the interior finished. I've got a nice set of late model S-10 buckets to replace the very broken down factory bench.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Well, that's all for now. I'm gonna try to button up some welding on my floor pans and rocker, fab up some mounts for my new buckets, and start putting the interior back together. I'll keep ya' posted. jamminz.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have gotten a bur up my @$$ on this thing, and have gotten a hell of a lot done in the past month.

I got my floorpans welded, and buttoned up the rocker fabrication finished.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I got seat brackets fabbed up, and got my new seats mounted. They are a split bench out of a 96 S-10.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I took my carpet to work and pressure washed the $#!& out of it, and reinstalled it, and most of my interior.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I had a few factory radios laying around, so I decided to fill the hole in the dash, then I realized I have a nicer pioneer tape deck! Better than factory I guess! Someone stole the stereo out of it before I bought it, and ripped all the wires out. Some of em were like a foot back in the dash, and after a lot of cussing, and a few tripps to the computer to figure out what colors go where, I have tunes!

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

My airbox was smashed in the wreck that brought her to me, and I couldn't find one locally, so I did a little fab work, made a few spacers, and fitted my ZJ factory airbox into her! It has more filter surface area, so I figure she'll breath and run a little better! I drilled 2 new holes to fit the two small regulated lines, and their regulator into the new lid. The spacers were needed because the bigger airbox was going to interfere with the lower radiator hose, so I made her ride above the hose.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I haven't loaded any primer pics onto photobucket yet, but she's primed and painted!

And now, the moment we've all been waiting for........................................

The money shots!

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

She's not really orange like she looks in the pics. I think it's from the lighting, or the camera.

At any rate, I'm hoping to give her the first shakedown run this weekend. I painted, and hung the rear bumper today. I need to throw some new bulbs in some of the lights, get an alternator, and find a few front end bezels, and she'll be sitting pretty, and street legal. I'm gonna drive her every day for a while, and work out any little bugs I come across, and hopefully this winter I'll be doing my engine swap to live up to the name of this thread!

great job on the body and paint, and interior so far :cheers:

but, ummmm.....V8+5 speed + D35 rear = :ack:

I'd definately be sourcing an 8.25 (29 spline) or a D44, or an 8.8.

Keep up the good work, and the pics :yes:

Jeff

I'll run it like I brung it till I break it. Then I'll be putting a full size bronco driveline in her. (Trans, T-case, and axles) At that point, I am thinking about attempting my first double triangulated four link. (Front and rear.) Obviously, with a driveline that beafy, she'll become my wheelin rig, and will be going UP!