Losing Interest in my MJ?

SuperWade2

I don't really know what it is, but I'm sort of losing interest in my MJ, or at least it feels that way. I don't really know if that is what it is or not... I don't really feel like doing anything with it, and don't really enjoy driving it... if my TJ weren't still under repair from my front Axle swap, I don't think the MJ would be driven at all. I honestly don't ever see myself picking the MJ to take on a wheeling trip over my TJ which I've done so much work too and have a bunch more stuff planned. Money is tighter now than ever and I can't see myself spending much extra $$$ on the MJ anymore when there are things I want and need on the TJ.

There's rust in that cowl area that I don't really feel like fixing (or know how to fix actually, even though it's not *that* bad), the engine or tranny is going to go at some point in the not too distant future, and I can't see myself ever having the ability, time, energy, space, desire or money to pull off an engine swap.

I'd honestly rather have another vehicle that I could actually drive my kids around in if I had too while the TJ is down, but I can't really see having 4 vehicles. I've been watching Craigslist for a late 90's early 00's 4-Door Grand Prix GTP... I had 2Dr. 97 GT that I really enjoyed, drove for 7 years and traded in on the family "Tahoe", but I don't know...

Maybe it's a phase and I'll get past it and get the bug again... Since the TJ has been in more parts than not over the past few months, I guess I still need the MJ, although nothing more than the 3 mile round trip to work.

:dunno:

SW2

We all go though those burned-out periods. I haven't touched my trucks all winter. As long as you don't do anything drastic, it'll come back. It's cyclical. I'm actually sorta looking forward to rewiring the fuse box. :eek:

Any reason why you can't just grind down the rust and POR-15 it?

And what the heck makes you think your engine or trans is about to go kaput? :hmm:

Maybe you just need to come over and see my 90. That should cheer you up about your truck once you see that yours isn't all that bad. :D

Any reason why you can't just grind down the rust and POR-15 it?

It's WAY under the dash and there is virtually zero access thru the cowl area up top (nor can I acually see the rust from the top cowl area), so without gutting everything (Dash, Fuse Box, E-Brake pedal, etc, etc,) I can't really even get a hand up to where the rust is much less grinder/sandpaper/POR-15

And what the heck makes you think your engine or trans is about to go kaput? :hmm:

If you heard it or drove it, you would know why... the engine makes a diesel sound like a Prius on Battery power...and the trans will shift into gear some of the time and when it does, I can literally feel the tranny "shudder"... even more so since I havn't had an interior in it for months, there are times it feels/sounds like the transmission is going to pop up thru the floorboads and sit next to me where the passenger seat should be.

hey man, we've all been there.

just got done with that phase myself.

after some coaxing from friends etc. the truck is going up to the next level.

my reason was somewhat different than yours...I just feel bad trashing a perfectly restoreable comanche. more-so, I don't want to wreck a nice bed...they're hard to find.

but, going bedless has given me options....so that is what I will do.

just hang in there. hang up the towel (so to speak) on the MJ for awhile, and when you're good and ready, get to work on her again.

Hey SW2, like everyone says, we all go thru our MJ dead zones for different reasons. Too hot, too cold; the weather plays an important part of the MJ motivation for moi for most of the year. Bit it's coming summer now, the two girls are just home from college, and while I'm glad to see them and hear them b*@$£ and complain about their arduous life events, it gets tiring quickly then the inevitable never-ending female drama soon starts. To escape, working on the MJ (#1) or jumping in the boat goin' fishing with my buddy Gus the Cocker Spaniel (#2) is the best dayem therapy there is. You're not there yet with your babies, but it creeps up on ya fast. Anyhow, use the MJ (or your TJ if you must :D ) to escape for awhile from all the other crap that piles up and you really have no control over, like possible impending layoffs, money shortages, the freeking economy, or whatever bugs ya. :smart:

How about a dremmel?

Yah maybe, I got that extension thing, but still...don't you have to actually "patch" the rust holes before the POR or does it fill and harden and all of that stuff?

If you actuaaly have a small hole then por15 has a patch you can cover the hole with then the por 15 hardens it. Maybe do a few small easy projects here and there. that helps when i get in this type of mood.

Every MAN needs a truck.. Are you a man??? Do you watch football??? Drink beers??? Pop one when you watch "What I like about you"???? Come on man.... It'll haul all those TJ parts and the trash... R u a man?????

LMAO :rotf: Be a man ......Man........

Yea I was just where you are at.......My mj just broke down out of the blue over 6 months agao I'm just now getting around to getting it fixed .......Got the new wiring harness in and....Nothing still wouldnt start .........I left the ignition on and started jumbling around in the engine compartment and found a broken wire that solved my starting issue ......Now I just have to put the dash back in, and also figure out what I'm going to be doing about my speedo cable that I broke, but its running now and has got me thinking about everything els I need to fix , and I like it. Its super fun to work on .....well most of the time when I'm not cursing and throwing things ...............

and yea sure you could get rid of you money pit and get a diffrent rig , but the fact is your truck needs you.......

WOW

I've had mine on the back burner for about 2 years now (since before I moved to dawson creek, that was a long time ago). Today I sold the tcase out of it. The links are going to go to the XJ. The trans is junk, and the new one I bought for it is going to the XJ. And pretty much everything else on it that I need will wind up being pirated for the XJ.

It's down to having almost no usable parts. I half debated cutting it up today and getting rid of it. Even worse, I'm under pressure because I found a terribly cheap J-truck (rhino grill AND a brow, sex on wheels) but have no where to put it until I fence my chevy. Better yet, I don't even feel that I want a hard-core truggy that is only good for very limited use. I just don't see ever using it as such again.

But, it was the first vehicle I ever owned.... Damn sentimental value.

Sorry to steal your thunder, SuperWade2. Anyways, from what your describing, I'd pull the dash out. It's actually not a very hard process, just kinda time consuming. There isn't a point in half-assing a rust repair, it just won't last. Do you need a walk through on the dash/HVAC removal? And swapping the engine/trans isn't too bad if you have a couple people to help you. Look around a CL and local forums and see if you can get a combo.

Every MAN needs a truck.. Are you a man??? Do you watch football??? Drink beers??? Pop one when you watch "What I like about you"???? Come on man.... It'll haul all those TJ parts and the trash... R u a man?????

I knew I could count on you for support, JT...

I knew I could count on you for support, JT...

Anytime dogg.... :yes: :cheers:

Listen, Just do what I did and release the e-brake, wait till you here the UPS guy coming down the road, and forcefully push the sucker out into the middle of the street at the exact time the brown guy rolls thru. Or just call your local JY and have them pick it up and crush it.

And then while your at it...........

Sell your wife to the Russians for that mail-order bride program they have,

Trade the twins to the Chinese Triads for some drugs,

Give that wierd looking dog you have back to the pound,

AND BURN THAT BLOODY ASTRO TURF IN YOUR YARD.

not that I'm jealous that it looks much nicer than my weed infested lawn.

But it if you decide to sell it extremely cheap, my number is

555-555-1234.