Tire Carriers?

Please don't tell me everyone here just chucks their spare in the bed... :eek:

Has anyone done anything creative? Like a bed mounted spare or even something crazy like this tire gate: http://tiregate.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=182

I'd really love to have some cool looking like that, but that company doens't produce them for MJ's and having it custom fabbed would probably cost a good amount (and i don't know how to weld). But i'm just looking for ideas.. Let's see what ya'll got :brows:

I eally liked what Pete did on his wheeler. But I wanted to be able to retain the use of the bed. I looked at one of those bed mounted jobbers, but didnt even want the bolts sticking up theu the bed. Yea, I could have maybe welded nuts un=der the bed and threaded into those....just didnt like the idea.

I have ALWAYS liked rear tar swing outs, just screams tough/off road to me. So I began thinking about a swing out for the MJ. looked hard at a XJ swing out but the bed of the MJ isnt strong enough to hold the load like it is/can be in the XJ. Then the entire gate idea hit me....someone here posted the link you did and that was it..I was making my own!!

I am very happy with the results.

CW

Nice! Pete I like the integration into the roll bar, nice and secure - but your bed seems alot smaller (and it's not just cause i have a LB ;) )

Cdub - That's killer man! Is it strong enough to swing completly out with a tire on it? That's exactly what i'm looking for...Any chance you'll be in the nor cal/reno area anytime soon and wanna make some money...? :brows:

Overall it sounds like for what I want I should have it fabbed or I should learn to weld (ha!).

Thanks for the insite guys, i'm gonna try to keep adding to this thread with more and more examples...who knows maybe it'll be usefull some day :nuts:

Nice! Pete I like the integration into the roll bar, nice and secure - but your bed seems alot smaller (and it's not just cause i have a LB ;)

Bed? I don't have a bed, but I do have strorage for camping/wheeling gear. :D

Nice! Pete I like the integration into the roll bar, nice and secure - but your bed seems alot smaller (and it's not just cause i have a LB ;)

Bed? I don't have a bed, but I do have strorage for a spare truck's worth of parts. :D

fixed it

I've been slowly building my own Tire Gate. Got the frame done, which was real easy, but I've only got the bottom mounted, so it swings down like a normal tail gate. Might be nice to try that, but it'll suck to lug that weight everytime I open it.

It's got wicked cool styles.

That tire mounting plate works with three different lug patterns, I think it's 5x4.5", 5x5.5", and 6x5.5".

Some friends of mine just ordered a bunch of fab parts from them and they didn't complain about the shipping. Check it out if you're interested.

you could always just use a spare D35 shaft and cut up and use that to mount the tire, bout all theyre good for eh? :brows:

:rotfl2: :laughin: :teehee: :clapping: :rotf:

I'll have 2 shafts left over from my 35 (worth more to me as parts than it is to anyone else whole) and one will be kept as a spare for other Jeepers (I'm not taking it on the trail though, it'll be left at camp) the other will be used for a tire mount in my 90. :brows:

I though alot about doing this as well....

I had the steel and the size was right and I liked the greater surface area mine afords. May not be any stronger...but it seems to me to be..

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it...

CW

• 2 years later...
Some welding required... :D

Pete,

Sitting here going through old posts,being a noob.

Is there a thread on your build of this roll bar/spare carrier.?

I would like to build something similar,not for safety,more for

lights and looks and tie downs,and I really like it.

If not,how's it fastened to the bed?

Thanks,

Tracy.

here's mine;

and yes, it's in the way of EVERYTHING right now. i'm trying to come up with a better idea so i can retain the use of the bed...but the side benefit of having the tire in the way is that i can't haul more stuff home :oops: (have been told that more = getting kicked out...)

anyways, i didn't build it. got it in trade. it's adjustable for different back spacing etc and used to be part of a removable assembly...i didn't have the base plate so i simply got a big bolt and bolted it through.

I have this one

http://www.performanceproducts4trucks.c ... pid=102343

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11287

Paid like $150 for it before I found you guys and learned

that I can actually build s&^t. :wrench:

All ya'll did nice jobs on yours,thanks for the pics.

possum,nice shoes. :D

Keep showing them,I'm gettin ideas.

I've looked for a roll bar since I got my mj.

Found one and one only,scrapyard in Cal,$150 plus

shipping,(to SW Fl :eek: ).Decided I'd make my own,

and I really like Pete's.I don't have a bender,

but I'm thinking one would make a perfectly

good Xmas gift. :beerhead:

My girlfriend has been made aware of this

fact. :brows:

Thus my questions.And thanks Pete,I'm sure I will have more.

Looked at your photo album.Awesome stuff.Someday I'll

get to the rocks.