BBC's '89 2500 MJ build!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't you be out in the garage working on the CRD swap? :shake:

Just kidding, your good people. Anyway, I still need to build a new harness for the front and will put the head lamps in last so I don't scratch them up working in the engine bay. Well I did get all the instruments working as well as all the lighting in the rear of the truck last night. I've been soldering wires and shrink tubing for two nights now. Even powered up the fuel pump last night..... sure wish I had the fuel lines on it so it didn't yarf out gas all over the garage floor :doh:

I welded the 97+ seat humps into the floor yesterday and finished putting in the carpet from a 2000..... but didn't think it was really picture worthy. Also got the a start on the front light harness. Some of you guys on here that build some really crazy stuff, all I did was a face transplant and motor swap. The problem is that my garage is pretty small and it's hard to get any decent shots of it and that I only get a few hours to work on it every day..... but I'm getting closer. I'll put in the fuel lines tonight and see if I can get her to fire off.

-Chris

• 2 months later...

So, after reading this post, it still isn't clear to me what this 'kit' is. Is this a custom grill and lights for the MJ/XJ sold only by Alex parts? Are the lights just from another vehicle? I like the look of it and I would consider the header panel and lights (would modify my own fenders). I think is suitably modernizes the truck while keeping the Jeep look.

I noticed the Alex parts website is suspended. Something happen to them?

-Gary

'88 Comanche Pioneer 4x4

• 1 month later...

Still got to do the lift but it's running and driving again I didn't do much over the summer on it because of some other projects and obligations. It's really dusty in the pics but next week I'll get some good outside shots. My buddy Jake and I are going to build some simple bumpers for it in a few weeks. But like I said in the beginning it's just going to be a driver. Little lift, Rubi wheels, 4.0 swap and 4x4 and freshen up the interior a bit.

The lamps are bolted in and the adjusters are usable!

I'll get some more tonight. I should get the seats bolted in tonight. Ended up with some '05 Grand Cherokee cloth jobs. But other than that the interior is all from a 96XJ. Still on the "need to get done" list.... Spray in liner in the bed and lower quarters, new windshield, put in the front axle...... might even run a sponge across it ;)

-Chris

:cheers:

once you get'r done you may want to send your story to offroad or even one of the speed week fix'r up shows :idea: and you and some of the others here that are doiing an outstanding job on the restoration can make a name for the Comanche and give it a several nicks name.

Comanche Bonneville

Comanche Classic (original body style)

Comanche Classic II ??? (97+ face lift)

Comanche Nexgen (2500 face lift)

no to :hijack: but you guys are doing an super job on your trucks :drool:

this sounds like the making of a BUD lite commercial.

:cheers:

once you get'r done you may want to send your story to offroad or even one of the speed week fix'r up shows :idea: and you and some of the others here that are doiing an outstanding job on the restoration can make a name for the Comanche and give it a several nicks name.

Comanche Bonneville

Comanche Classic (original body style)

Comanche Classic II ??? (97+ face lift)

Comanche Nexgen (2500 face lift)

no to :hijack: but you guys are doing an super job on your trucks :drool:

this sounds like the making of a BUD lite commercial.

Thanks man. Some people think it a waste of time (not on here), but in general to fix up an old 80's Jeep truck. Thats is what makes sites like C.C. neat is that there are a bunch of people who have the same interest. I enjoy seeing everyones builds and how they did it!

-C

Well I managed to get the headliner redone and the interior buttoned up this weekend. Seems like the weekend is never long enough!

Laying on the new material.

All glued down.

Installed in the truck - And finished installing the sunroof.

Grand seats

-Chris

So, after reading this post, it still isn't clear to me what this 'kit' is. Is this a custom grill and lights for the MJ/XJ sold only by Alex parts? Are the lights just from another vehicle? I like the look of it and I would consider the header panel and lights (would modify my own fenders). I think is suitably modernizes the truck while keeping the Jeep look.

-Gary

'88 Comanche Pioneer 4x4[/quote)

It is cheap chinese crap. The look and style is cool, but what the members of this forum went through to get the parts sucked. It was a tough thing to watch, hopefully there will be a local distributer to get the parts from in the future, but until then the updated front clip is next on my list.

-Gary

'88 Comanche Pioneer 4x4[/quote)

It is cheap chinese crap. The look and style is cool, but what the members of this forum went through to get the parts sucked. It was a tough thing to watch, hopefully there will be a local distributer to get the parts from in the future, but until then the updated front clip is next on my list.

Well the "kit" was all the parts to make the US ones look like the XJ's they built in China from 02-07 (Google Jeep 2500). All the parts are OE Jeep 2500 parts sold in China after the Cherokee was discontinued here in the US in 2001. Since they never built MJ's over there the only the only parts that fit are the headers and fenders, some people use the China fender flares which are different from any style offered here but I never cared for the look when I put them on mine. I just wanted to do something different and intended to use this stuff on an XJ but thought what the hell. I'm the guy that was doing the group buys on NAXJA and my whole intent on doing the group buy was to soften the shipping on the parts I wanted. The cost of shipping just my order was as much as shipping 10 complete orders. On the first order the quality and customer service was better than what I got on the second go around. In the end on the second order I took it in the shorts pretty hard on the shipping because of a certain person, but what can you do? There was a bunch of broken stuff and shortages on the last order and they didn't want to work with me on coming to a resolution, so I figured that would be my last time dealing with them. Now it looks like Alex parts is no more, might be another vendor out there that builds the 2500 replacement parts I don't have the time to hunt them down.

-Chris

Well I got it out on it's maiden voyage this past weekend and it got to see the light for the first time in 6 months. Speedo doesn't work and it's got a rear main leak but other than that everything else checked out good! Hope to have some new tyres this week so I can put the Rubi wheels on it.

New glass going in with 97+ rubber seal.

-Chris