BBC's '89 2500 MJ build!

I couldn't come up cool project name. :hmm: Well here is my rebuild of a 1989 2.5 2wd SB Comanche that I got back last week after a few years of being apart. Its going to get the 4.0, AW4 and a 4WD conversion. The motor gave out a day after I drove it home, so it went in the garage and I picked it apart. My plan is to strip it down to the bare chassis to give it a proper repaint then start on the rebuild. Here are some pics of the teardown if anyone is interested.

When I got her home.

And some breakdown pics.

And before the removal of the HVAC box and the rest of the interior.

So if anyone needs any 2.5 parts let me know because it's getting tossed in a few weeks. Everything still on it except the alt.

-Chris :ack:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought would ask if anyone on here wanted any of the bolt on parts on the motor. Then I was going to strip it down and drop it off at a motor shop so they can rebuild it for the next guy. 2500 front end parts....... I don't know yet, I'm leaning towards just using the 97+ clip that was on it. I think it would look ok with the 2500 parts on it but am concerned that the back of the truck will look too dated (tail lamps, tail gate) if that makes any sense. Although I could pop in some different lamps and that might freshen it up a bit. To be honest..... I'm really burned out on the 2500 stuff. Working on getting it all here, answering questions, shipping and seeing the quality go down hill so much this load.... it's disappointing. And I don't know if I want to look at it everyday, it kinda lost it's uniqueness. But either way I need to get some decisions made, because I'm planing on laying down some color in a few weeks and putting it all back in order.

-Chris

Ya I know what you mean.

Would be a little funny for you to goto all that trouble with the 2500 orders, and then not use any...........

97+ interior?

Funny is not the word that comes to mind when I think about it. I'm going to stick with the pre 97 style interior because it just feels cramped with the newer dash. But I dunno might change my mind. Figure I would try to use some of the stuff cluttering up the garage..... ie Rubi wheels, dashes, 4.0's ect. And if I stick with the older dash I can use that weird information cluster that goes under the clock that was in an 86 XJ I parted out.... for that retro feel :shake:

-Chris

that "funny thing" is called a sentinal system.

hopefully you grabbed all the sensors for it....

Yes I did, but I don't feel like drilling holes in my diffs and everywhere else they go. I even got the blue computer-ish box that goes with it. It's always been more of a joke but it is kinda cool.

Here are the 2500 fenders mounted to the truck. I had to re-shape the part up by the windscreen, and still have some more work to get it to look right. This fender had a pretty bad fold where the headlamp cutout is located.

Picture of 97+ fender that was on the truck.

Now with the 2500 fenders

So are they useable? Yes, but it's going to take some work. I'll put the header panel on this weekend to see how well it goes together. I didn't really want to use the clip on the truck, but if I rework the core area to fit the header..... there is no going back.

The gold colored coins? We've got them in the US too. $1 in value. Had Sacajawea on it a few years back, now it has George Washington. Not exactly very popular with the people though. But I enjoy using them. Ya get all sorts of funny looks from the guy on the other side of the counter as he tries to figure out what to do with them. :D

The gold colored coins? We've got them in the US too. $1 in value. Had Sacajawea on it a few years back, now it has George Washington. Not exactly very popular with the people though. But I enjoy using them. Ya get all sorts of funny looks from the guy on the other side of the counter as he tries to figure out what to do with them. :D

Me too, the best thing is paying for something with them and then being able to get indignant when the person is not giving you your change because they still think you have to give them 75 cents.

I'm planning to get a bunch of $2 bills for this very same reason, I've decided I want to mess with people that way now.

The '79 Susan B. Anthony dollar coins are a close second.

here is how the transaction goes

you give them the money and are thinking :teehee: they see it an think :huh???: :redX: :???: :dunno: so they call for the boss :help: meenwhile your thinking :clapping: :popcorn: :rotf: boss man arives and goes :hmm: :bs: :no: and you say look closer and think :laughin: :nanner: :clapping: they see it and feel like :oops: :fs1: :wall: :dunce: :hateputers: so you give them a :thumbsup: and drive away comanche.gif going :nanner: :laughin: :jump: :razz: :banana: :rotf: :rotfl2: :D :clapping: then go to the bar and image_209027.gif :beerhead: then tell stories that go BSmeter.gif

Well after thinking about those 2500 fenders from Alex parts I came to the conclusion that they just won't fit and look "right". They just don't fit good enough to get good gaps. To get the door gap looking right it won't reach the header panel :dunno: ..... so I went to the wreckers and got 2 OE fenders and made some 2500 fenders.

Well now they fit right and have have the quality of the OE fenders.... because they are the OE fenders. :shake:

And now when you knock on the fender it sounds more like a Jeep and less like a Daewoo.

-Chris

Looks good, I was trying to decide which way I would go, do like you did, or cut my US fenders.

I don't have a welder that is good for that type of work, which means I would either need to borrow someones, or spot weld it on and throw some filler over it.

I also like how you came to the same conclusion as me.......ditch the 2500 fenders and use US fenders.....

Looks good, I was trying to decide which way I would go, do like you did, or cut my US fenders.

I don't have a welder that is good for that type of work, which means I would either need to borrow someones, or spot weld it on and throw some filler over it.

I also like how you came to the same conclusion as me.......ditch the 2500 fenders and use US fenders.....

Well I just thought about how I wanted it to look and made the decision that it needs to look OE. And there is nothing you can do to the Alex fenders to make them right. The lines are not as crisp, the edges are not as crisp, the rolled area is sloppy, they are too thin..... ect. Since I totally gutted the truck I'm not going to waste my time just to have it look shoddy. Now don't get me wrong I'm not going to do some concoure d'elegance restoration on it, I just want it to look right. And I understand that some people hate the 2500 clip, I get it, it's not for everyone. But if someone is going to looking at it... it better look right.

-Chris

Well I just thought about how I wanted it to look and made the decision that it needs to look OE. And there is nothing you can do to the Alex fenders to make them right. The lines are not as crisp, the edges are not as crisp, the rolled area is sloppy, they are too thin..... ect. Since I totally gutted the truck I'm not going to waste my time just to have it look shoddy. Now don't get me wrong I'm not going to do some concoure d'elegance restoration on it, I just want it to look right. And I understand that some people hate the 2500 clip, I get it, it's not for everyone. But if everyone is looking at it... it better look right.

-Chris

Yup, everything about those alex fenders are sloppy. What kinda wire(thickness) did you use to weld in that part of the fender?

This should give you the best finished look, after seeing how the alex fenders were made I knew I couldn't deal with it.

Well I just thought about how I wanted it to look and made the decision that it needs to look OE. And there is nothing you can do to the Alex fenders to make them right. The lines are not as crisp, the edges are not as crisp, the rolled area is sloppy, they are too thin..... ect. Since I totally gutted the truck I'm not going to waste my time just to have it look shoddy. Now don't get me wrong I'm not going to do some concoure d'elegance restoration on it, I just want it to look right. And I understand that some people hate the 2500 clip, I get it, it's not for everyone. But if everyone is looking at it... it better look right.

-Chris

Yup, everything about those alex fenders are sloppy. What kinda wire(thickness) did you use to weld in that part of the fender?

This should give you the best finished look, after seeing how the alex fenders were made I knew I couldn't deal with it.

.035 wire