BBC's '89 2500 MJ build!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did find a pic of one with the Amber / Sunburst Orange color...... I don't care for the bushwackers but it does look nice in that color.

(I don't know who's Jeep it is, sorry)

I know that jeep its out here in KS the place is called 4X4land in topeka

Mike the owner said this was like a gobaby orange or something like that

Well it went to paint last night and should get back in 3 weeks. But now I have to strip down the parts XJ :ack:

-Chris

3 weeks? Are Smurfs painting it?

Smartass

They have to do all the bodywork and strip the panels off.... doors, hood, bed ect. And I guess a 20 year old Jeep truck is only cool to the guy who own's it because they were wondering why someone would even want to spend money on it. Huh.... I really don't know the answer to that. Oh I remember now...... because I want to, so paint the f'n truck. :yes:

-Chris

Well it went to paint last night and should get back in 3 weeks. But now I have to strip down the parts XJ :ack:

-Chris

3 weeks? Are Smurfs painting it?

Smartass

They have to do all the bodywork and strip the panels off.... doors, hood, bed ect. And I guess a 20 year old Jeep truck is only cool to the guy who own's it because they were wondering why someone would even want to spend money on it. Huh.... I really don't know the answer to that. Oh I remember now...... because I want to, so paint the f'n truck. :yes:

-Chris

huh ok, I guess i was imagining it going out a little more stripped down.

I thought it was stripped down enough..... but I guess they wanted all the parts in the bed. :???:

you know, they're gonna charge extra to reassemble that with the parts that are in the bed....I would call them and tell them to just paint it and leave it alone.

All I told them is that I do not want the header put on the truck. I don't care if they put the doors, hood, fenders and bed back on it. I would rather it get scratched down there than after I get it back...... (you know it will). I disassembled it about as far as it was when it was painted at the factory, except the bed was still bolted on for the trip down there. Figured the header would have a better chance of not getting messed up when I put the motor back in. Anyhow I'm pretty jacked to see it when its done.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got the truck back and it's nice to see it one color again. I think it needs some more wet sanding and I might do it after the paint stops stinking. Sorry for the crap picture, between the finger print on the camera, being late and tired.... thats the what I got :)

I guess a 20 year old Jeep truck is only cool to the guy who own's it because they were wondering why someone would even want to spend money on it. Huh.... I really don't know the answer to that. Oh I remember now...... because I want to, so paint the f'n truck. :yes:

-Chris

I hate $#!& like that! I'm the type I would have walked out and found another shop after any of those comments. I'm paying you to paint it, not to give me your effin opinion!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the fuel pump swapped out with the 4.0 stuff. I had to change over the sending unit and float assembly so the gauge would read the correctly.

I used the stock '89 2.5 TBI pump chassis, removed the 2.5 fuel pump, put the 4.0 pump in it's place. If I would of used the '89 sending unit the gauge would of read backwards, so I removed the sending unit off a '91 XJ pump chassis and made it fit on the MJ one. Fun huh? Other than that I've been putting it back together slowly... but it's getting closer.

Well I got the 2500 header back on the truck and the fricking grill insert fits just like the other quality parts from Alex. I ended up splitting the insert into two parts so it would fit. I'll snap some progress pics of it tonight.... I've been busy working on my other "project" so it's been hard to stay focused on getting the truck going again, but it's getting closer.

Well I got the 2500 header back on the truck and the fricking grill insert fits just like the other quality parts from Alex. I ended up splitting the insert into two parts so it would fit. I'll snap some progress pics of it tonight.... I've been busy working on my other "project" so it's been hard to stay focused on getting the truck going again, but it's getting closer.

Ya, its like the grill insert is 98% smaller than the original.

I'm guessing they made a mold off of an original part, and then when the injected plastic cooled, it shrank. Leaving us with an exact duplicate, just scaled down.

Like you I was planning on cutting it in half so that I could get the two pieces to fit behind the grill and boltup.

Also, I got the stuff from you, I'm really surprised, those mirrors look REALLY good, much better than I thought they would. I am pleasantly surprised by the quality of them.

I'm guessing they made a mold off of an original part, and then when the injected plastic cooled, it shrank. Leaving us with an exact duplicate, just scaled down.

Like you I was planning on cutting it in half so that I could get the two pieces to fit behind the grill and boltup.

Also, I got the stuff from you, I'm really surprised, those mirrors look REALLY good, much better than I thought they would. I am pleasantly surprised by the quality of them.

I too was surprised by the mirrors.

O/T Alex said they wouldn't give me any credit on the broken headers and when I told them how crappy the fenders fit they seemed to get all offended... now they won't email me back. So, I don't see myself doing anymore business with them in the future. I guess the thing that blows is that I have some extra fenders and mismatched lamps and won't be able to get the mate.

I too was surprised by the mirrors.

O/T Alex said they wouldn't give me any credit on the broken headers and when I told them how crappy the fenders fit they seemed to get all offended... now they won't email me back. So, I don't see myself doing anymore business with them in the future. I guess the thing that blows is that I have some extra fenders and mismatched lamps and won't be able to get the mate.

Well, I guess we better plan on only getting drivers side headlights busted out.