BBC's '89 2500 MJ build!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a '53 M38A1

I'm going back and forth between the MJ and the A2. When I get burned out of working on one I turn around and work on the other. The 53 is almost finished, it was my 'winter project'. Just need to do some paint and put in the NOS wiring harness and I might cruise it around this summer.

A few years ago I built a '48 CJ2A.... another winter build. It was civilan 2A with military parts on it. Thats the way I got it so I just put it all back on it. Never figured out the story on it but it must of been a service truck of some sort.

And on the color........ I think I'm going to just paint it red again. The plan is to use it as a truck and I don't see the point doing a wild color change on it. The red color under the sport truck graphics looks nice, because it didn't get 20 years of sun. Pretty boring huh?

I won't tell anyone it was previously red if you don't. :D At least that way the exterior will match the door seals, engine bay, undercarriage, etc. It'll all look even more factory when you're done.

Personally I am not a fan of red. Partially because it seems like the majority of TJs and YJs all seem to be red. :shake: It even seemed to infiltrate way too many MJs. If you are going to repaint the entire thing may as well go with something different. I liked the oranges you posted, but even something less flashy like blue would be better than red.

Willy

I hate painting stuff because I can never make a decision on the color. Of all the other stuff involved with the swap to the 4.0/AW4, wiring and just putting it back together..... and I get hung up on the f'n color. :headpop:

..... maybe silver

Well I found out while I was at the paint store that I'm partial to a lot of colors too. :( It's getting down to the wire because all I have left to strip off is the back glass and it's getting smoothed and squirted. I've skimmed it down to a few different colors

-Bright Silver (PS2)

-Gun Metal (PQ6)

-Windex Blue (?)

-Sunburst Orange (PV6)

-Daytona Sunset Orange Metallic (71U WA-633H) The '05ish Corvette a few pages back

-Flame Red (PR4)

-Desert Sand (?)

So... yeah I'm all over the place.

Well I found out while I was at the paint store that I'm partial to a lot of colors too. :( It's getting down to the wire because all I have left to strip off is the back glass and it's getting smoothed and squirted. I've skimmed it down to a few different colors

-Bright Silver (PS2)

-Gun Metal (PQ6)

-Windex Blue (?)

-Sunburst Orange (PV6)

-Daytona Sunset Orange Metallic (71U WA-633H) The '05ish Corvette a few pages back

-Flame Red (PR4)

-Desert Sand (?)

So... yeah I'm all over the place.

I really like PR4(Flame Red), then we can be like twins! Only separated by 3000 miles and a quick login to comanche club.

I had a friend that's photo-shop savvy "paint " pics of my MJ when I was trying to decide on a color...

Here is what I ended up deciding on. My reg read blue, so this made the most sense...

I'm going with Cyber Grey (WA637R, PPG# 920131). Can't seem to get my head around a loud color. I dig that Sunburst orange color and think it would look good on a lifted truck, but that's not the fate for this truck. Thanks for all the suggestions :thumbsup:

On a side note I fixed the saggy drivers door hinge this weekend. At least it didn't pull away from the body... the roll pin and hinge were just worn out. It's nice being able to shut the door without lifting it up 1/2".

-Chris

I'm going with Cyber Grey (WA637R, PPG# 920131). Can't seem to get my head around a loud color. I dig that Sunburst orange color and think it would look good on a lifted truck, but that's not the fate for this truck. Thanks for all the suggestions :thumbsup:

On a side note I fixed the saggy drivers door hinge this weekend. At least it didn't pull away from the body... the roll pin and hinge were just worn out. It's nice being able to shut the door without lifting it up 1/2".

-Chris

A week or so ago, I read a great write up on this hinge repair!! IIRC its on here, maybe on NAXJA, but petty sure its here. I don't have time to look for it now, but if you search I'm sure you can find it.

the author cut out a small portion of the sheet-metal and replaced it with a larger patch panel that fit in that hole and bolted to a larger area providing much needed strength to this problem area. nice write up!!

CW

-Chris

A week or so ago, I read a great write up on this hinge repair!! IIRC its on here, maybe on NAXJA, but petty sure its here. I don't have time to look for it now, but if you search I'm sure you can find it.

the author cut out a small portion of the sheet-metal and replaced it with a larger patch panel that fit in that hole and bolted to a larger area providing much needed strength to this problem area. nice write up!!

CW

I just rebuilt the hinge. It didn't pull away from the body structure but instead the roll pin holding the two part of the hinge together was worn through...... Caused by the fat bastard PO who used it as a crutch getting in and out. Sure wished I would have snapped a pic of the bench seat that was in it when I bought it. :eek:

-Chris

And the last part to remove before the paint... It should be a fairly easy job since the Jeep is pretty darn straight for being 20 years old. I thought it was funny that the truck has the "born on date" stamped under the passenger wiper cowl and it was 2 days away from its 20th birthday when I started breaking it down for the rebuild.

Engine bay shot before removal of the brake lines and booster.

Brake fluid cap in the bottom of the m/c. :rotfl2:

Tossed on a better tail gate that was sitting outside.

And the only real body damage where the bumper kissed it.

Driver side view before header removal.

The header is going to get shot while it's off the truck so I don't mess it up when I swing the new drivetrain in...... sure hope it looks good with the 2500 clip on it.... or it's getting another nose job! :)

-Chris