New gauges with a twist

New to the group! I have an 87 comanche w/293,000 miles on it. It's a 4x2 swb, 2.5L and 4 speed. Bought it in Puyallup, Washington but in now lives in Missouri. It is purely a street jeep. I keep it clean and waxed! Rebuilt the engine December 2006, adding a Delta one step up from stock camshaft. It has a Flowmaster single in - dual out muffler with turned town extensions so there is a rumble echo off the pavement. Don't sound like no 4 popper! I want to add a Clifford header and Air Aid and an electric fan to boost power.

The only pics are at Car Domain, and I can't figure out how to get the URL of the pic only, so let me add this link if you wanna look:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2095444

New to the group! I have an 87 comanche w/293,000 miles on it. It's a 4x2 swb, 2.5L and 4 speed. Bought it in Puyallup, Washington but in now lives in Missouri. It is purely a street jeep. I keep it clean and waxed! Rebuilt the engine December 2006, adding a Delta one step up from stock camshaft. It has a Flowmaster single in - dual out muffler with turned town extensions so there is a rumble echo off the pavement. Don't sound like no 4 popper! I want to add a Clifford header and Air Aid and an electric fan to boost power.

The only pics are at Car Domain, and I can't figure out how to get the URL of the pic only, so let me add this link if you wanna look:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2095444

Nice Truck! Welcome!

Click Free...

2095444_1_full.jpg

2095444_2_full.jpg

2095444_3_full.jpg

Thanks! It was a work truck hiding in the back of a small used car dealer with the windows partly down, a beat up bed liner in the back of it partially filled with gravel, water on the carpet from the rain, and wires hanging down from them taking the cb out of the dash. The moss was pretty heavy in the corners and other places on the exterior turning it green and brown, but I could tell underneath the paint was in very good shape with no dents or rust, and everything else was there. Bought it for 1100, took it home, stripped the seat and carpet out, dried it all out, cleaned and bleached the floorboards, cleaned and cleaned and cleaned the carpet, and brushed and brushed away the moss and crud, and what you see is basically what I found underneath!

We also own a 1994 Cherokee we bought new, also a 4x2, and ever since getting it I started wanting a comanche. I found this one, and plan on keeping it until they tell me I am too much of a danger to have a license any more! Since I turn 60 this summer, I think I have about 20 years left! :brows:

Welcome! Nice clean truck. What part of MO are you in? I'm in St Charles/St Louis area. Seems like every body in MO find extremely clean trucks except for me. All the ones I come across are rusted beyond repair and cost an arm & a leg.

Welcome! Nice clean truck. What part of MO are you in? I'm in St Charles/St Louis area. Seems like every body in MO find extremely clean trucks except for me. All the ones I come across are rusted beyond repair and cost an arm & a leg.

Montgomery City. It's exit 175 off of I-70, the same one for Hermann where Stone Hill Winery is located, 'cept we are north, not south. Oh, BTW, as noted this truck was not found here in Missouri. Found it in the salt and rust free zone of the Puget Sound area. Of course, my 94 Cherokee, which was bought in the Kansas City area, and has spent all but 4 years of its life in Missouri, is also rust free because I keep the salt off if both the body and the undercarriage. This Comanche sees very little driving when "chemical Annie" has been dumping her load on our highways. ;)

we're not a fickle bunch here........check the "Beer Drinkers, have you tried...." thread. We'll drink just about anything ;)

('cept CW, he doesn't understand the complexity of citrus :nuts: :D )

Jeff

Hey, Burls.

Any place in the St. Louis area that widens steel wheels?

Hey, Burls.

Not that I know of.

I've been to Montgomery City a few times, but I'm not real familiar with the area. I went and look at a Manche up there about 3 months ago. It had nonexistent rockers and a tree had fallen on the bed.

Hey, Burls.

Not that I know of.

I've been to Montgomery City a few times, but I'm not real familiar with the area. I went and look at a Manche up there about 3 months ago. It had nonexistent rockers and a tree had fallen on the bed.

That's the problem in this area. Salt eats em up. There are only a few other comanche's in this tri-county area, and they have rust. I understand from some people around here southern Missouri uses less or no salt on the highways. You might check that out and expand your search down there. What about Kentucky and Tennessee? I shall keep my eyes open for anything. Do you prefer 87 and later with the longer engine bay so if it's a 2.5 you could swap in a 4.0, or even a small block V8?

Very nice truck. I believe the best place to find a rust free comanche is the southwest, arizona or southern colorado.

got 2 xjs from southern co and my mj, NO RUST, one of the xjs was infested with gophers though :eek:

That's the problem in this area. Salt eats em up. There are only a few other comanche's in this tri-county area, and they have rust. I understand from some people around here southern Missouri uses less or no salt on the highways. You might check that out and expand your search down there. What about Kentucky and Tennessee? I shall keep my eyes open for anything. Do you prefer 87 and later with the longer engine bay so if it's a 2.5 you could swap in a 4.0, or even a small block V8?

I do prefer an 87 or new. As for the engine at this point I'd take either. I'm really wanting a long bed as I'd use it for mostly hauling or thats what I'll tell my parents so they'll throw some money in on it as they're looking to get a cheap pickup.

• 10 months later...

Bought a gauge unit about 3 months ago from one of the guys here, and finally put it in my 87 4x2 2.5. Everything works great! But, did something to make things look a bit different. I painted the plastic bezel that goes over the gauges to match my interior color, which is maroon. Really makes for a classy and different look! Hardest part was getting the potentiometer squared away, but it's done!

You mean like this? I did this on Baby a while back now.

i did that on my old XJ, too. only i did it in red...too lazy to mess with it right now on my truck.

yeah too lazy here too.

them gauges won't be in baby too long tho... :brows:

Where in Missouri are ya? I'll be down for about a week after Easter, if you're on the way maybe I could swing by and take a first hand look, maybe bless everyone else with pics? :rotfl2:

In Montgomery City. It's at Exit 175 on Interstate 70 about 50 miles out of greater St. Louis. North of the exit about 7 miles. If'n you intend to swing through, let me know when in this thread or email me.

Where in Missouri are ya? I'll be down for about a week after Easter, if you're on the way maybe I could swing by and take a first hand look, maybe bless everyone else with pics? :rotfl2:

In Montgomery City. It's at Exit 175 on Interstate 70 about 50 miles out of greater St. Louis. North of the exit about 7 miles. If'n you intend to swing through, let me know when in this thread or email me.

PM :banana: