Hood insulation Is It Needed

My hood insulation is realy bad, loose, oil soaked and fraying. How important is it?? My paint is pretty decent. If its needed I will have to call some yards and try to get one off a XJ.

Mines long gone... no issues for me so far...

I don't think its needed as most of our trucks probally lost it long ago. I am thinking of reoplacing mine because my engine runs cold. There is a place that sells them new for a decent price. Fiatslug got one and can tell you the website.

My 91 base truck had no hood insulation from the factory! Not sure what you would need it for.

That said, I might just follow the earlier link and buy some just to see how much noise it will eliminate. My guess is NONE. New door seals might be a better investment. I am going to wait on the door seals till I get a set of 97 + doors.

JJ

Do you need it? No. Just like you don't need a headliner, fender liners, the air dam under the front bumper, and a whole lot of other stuff I can't think of at the moment. Heck, you don't need a passenger's seat if you don't have a passenger. :D But if it's rotten and falling apart, replace it with the 1/4" thick molded thinner hood insulation from the 99+ XJ models instead of the older stuff that was about 3/4" think. The newer pad really does work better than the old pad; insulates the hood, protects the paint, and reduces engine noise better than the old one. The engine noise and radiated heat was much more noticible after I put the hood vents and did not reuse my hood pad. I picked up a NOS 99 pad on Ebay for $20, stuck it in and all is well.

Image Not Found

Another benfit, well at least I think I remember it this way, it was designed to help fire suppression. If you notice that plastic clips hold it up, the idea is that they will melt allowing the mat to fall and smother the flames of an engine fire.

I have a cowl hood so, I don't think I'll get any benefit from it. :D

:cheers:

Thanks for all the input its coming out (before it falls and catches fire) I will let you guys know if theres much noise differance.

Actually its designed to fall down and suppress fires.

huh. didn't know that.

of all the jeeps I've got...only one has the hood insulation in it, and for good reason...it DOES help with noise. ANYTHING to help quite down that chatterbox diesel lol (hell it's got firewall insulation on it too!)