1988 Comanche Project

So here is my MJ, practicaly the day that she arrived home with us.

D44 b*@$£!!

It needs brakes, front and rear. Nothing happens when you press the pedal...it goes to the floor. The shift computer is not there. When in D it goes to 4th gear. 1-2, 3, and R work fine. Rear lights don't work either. Minor body work and its as good as new. NO serious rust on the floor, rockers, or frame. Not too bad for $125. My goals are RE 5.5" lift, 35" tires.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been picking away at small things over the past few weeks. Ive been spraying the brake lines with PB Blaster so i can take them off, but one of them just snapped in half. now the axle can come out so i can sand/paint it and put some brakes on. Ive also taken out the shift computer out of my XJ, and put it in the MJ. I looked and the fise was gone too, so i changed that and i think its working. onto the pics!

how it sat this afternoon...

Floors. Only surface rust mind you..nothing has gone through...

Pic of rear axle, and a nice little can on PB blaster...

Pic of drivers side rocker pannels...

Donor XJ...

And this is hanging down from the frame. brake lines go to it...then to the axle, what is it exactly? do i need it?

thats it for now. thanks for looking. soon i will be taking out the axle, and sand blasting, and painting it. then assembling the brakes on it then putting it back.

oh and those wimpy 3 ton jackstands will be replaced by some 6tons that i got today. they are too short and feel un-safe to be under.

The little dingus hanging down is your rear proportioning valve. It works with weight, the more you put in the bed the gerater breaking in the rear. Here is a thread for you to read. There TONS on here about this. Do a search and youll see what I mean!!!

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopi ... ning+valve

I removed it and replumbed my entire brake line system. Trouble is you will get full brake power to all wheels, NO BIAS. SO the rears will lock up first because they are lighter.

Personally I didnt have any problems with this as most PU's I have owned did simular things. You CAN swap in the prop valve from your donor XJ and call it good.

GOOD LUCK, that Jeep look's like its been sitting for some time!!! Nice score w/the D44!!! :bowdown: :bowdown:

CW

Twisted - Great find for the $$ :clapping:

CW is right about the rear porp valve, I chop mine off and used the Tee at the front porp valve, and after a couple of panic stops, my front wheels lock up, not the rears, with no problems.

save your self some time and just cut all of the old break lines, wheel cyls and even the front calper right out, I just did my 89 this way, because of sitting and rotting, and all of the above parts were shot. Parts are cheeper than the time to try to save the old (Advance Auto) have most of the parts on the shelf, Hoses had to be ordered and not bad in price.

Also, I found that with the truck sitting for some time, all of the seals in the axels, T-case were all shot (dryed out) and leaking. but you might get better luck with yours. :dunno:

This Form here was a great help for me getting it done :bowdown:

Good luck, and in no time you will be :driving: your NEW comanche.gif

What is that bolted on the rear side of your leaf springs?

Get'er PB blasted, and post more pics! Good find!

hehe good question. he said they were "helper springs" but i don't really see how they do anything.

CW...thanks a lot, ill be searching in about 1 minute!!

so tonight, with the help of my brother, we pulled out the rear axle, and i put it on 2 ton jackstands outside. ive ground off the bolts holding on the axle backing plate...now i just need to take the backing plate off. then the sanding/painting/rebuilding of brakes will take place!! sorrry no pics. ill take some soon.

• 1 month later...

sooo little update time. should have the sand blaster working this week, so ill blast my D44 to put back in the jeep. havent decided if I'm going to paint it with POR15 or rustoleum yet. ordered new backing plates from Jeep. from autozone i got...

REAR

-Drums

-Shoes

-Hardware kit

-Wheel cylinder kit

Front

-Calipers

-Rotors

-Pads

i still have a few more things to get before i can start...but ill have enough to keep me busy for a long time.

I'm doing an entire brake job on my '89 MJ. Rear proportioning valve is going away, I'm going to just plug the hole in the splitter block beside the master cylinder. So far for brakes and tailpipe ive sunk $400 + the $500 I paid for the MJ. I'm lovin' it. The spec's are in my sig.

well i brought the axle shafts down to a shop today to have the new backing plates put onto the shafts. there was a collar that was pressed on to the shaft and i couldnt get it off. hopefully it won't cost a lot of money.

update time...WITH pics!

so i got working on that D44 this weekend. on sunday i wirebrushed the living daylights out of it and beat it with a chisel hammer to get the rust off. then i used marine clean, and metal ready to prep the axle. i don't think i did it right tho because there was a lot of white stuff left over after i rinsed off the metal ready, but i cleaned that off and went ahead with the painting.

before paint

after paint

i only got 1 coat done, and i did it late so the dew is now sitting on paint that isnt dry yet :roll:

This is the same axle?!

not sure what axle you are talking about here, but for the rear, its the same one that i bought the truck with.

Before.

After.

the front axle is a bit weird here. apparently he flodded the axle with water, and he had to replace it, so he replaced it with a different axle that is NOT the same as the MJ axle...so now i need different front brake parts :nuts:

i have the origional front axle that came with the truck, because it was in the bed when we towed it home. the calipers/pads/rotors fit THAT axle, but not the axle that is on the MJ now. The axle that is on my 1990 XJ is the same as the one on the MJ so thats how i came to that conclusion.